Talk

Advanced search

Blooming birthday sweets

(19 Posts)
Watchingitall Thu 03-Nov-16 13:22:16

I hate how DD comes out of school with sweets for someone's birthday every other day- but DD will not be impressed if she doesn't take sweets in... AIBU if I send in something else? I'm thinking the kind the kind of plastic tat that you get in a party bag...? That stuff is annoying too but at least you don't get a sugar meltdown fifteen minutes later. She's in Reception.

golfbuggy Thu 03-Nov-16 13:26:55

I'd find plastic tat randomnly sent home with a child a bit weird tbh (and if DD is keen on taking sweets in, will she find it an acceptable alternative?)

If you don't want to send in sweets then don't send them. You do know that your child is not obliged to eat any sweets she is given, the instant she is given them ... they can be saved to a later time such as after dinner, if you're worried about sugar meltdowns.

monkeywithacowface Thu 03-Nov-16 13:30:43

Plastic landfill tat would be far more annoying. Assuming there are 30 children in the class and there are a 190 days in a school year that's probably one small lolly or mini haribo once a week. I find it hard to believe it would cause a sugar meltdown

Bluntness100 Thu 03-Nov-16 13:32:40

Oh I'd have rather the sweets than the random tat to be honest.

Watchingitall Thu 03-Nov-16 13:35:34

Ha- I suppose I may be completely off with that one then. Thanks for your input. The sweets just drive me crazy. DD has a medical condition where we try to avoid sweets. It's not a blanket ban- it's a severely restrict them issue. It's horrible trying to wrestle them off her while all her friends are eating them.

monkeywithacowface Thu 03-Nov-16 13:39:08

Ah I understand that makes things harder for you. Could you have a jar of plastic tat/pocket money toys at home so when your DD comes out with sweets she can exchange it for something from the jar instead?

AmeliaJack Thu 03-Nov-16 13:39:15

It's not every other day though is it really? 20-30 children in her class it'll average out at 2 ish per month.

I can understand not wanting to do sweets given the medical history though.

Why not do something useful rather than plastic tat though? Pencils, cool rubbers, rulers, notebook etc.

It will cost you more though.

allowlsthinkalot Thu 03-Nov-16 13:40:32

We swap the sweets for sugar free ones (diabetic child) and my dd is completely happy to do this.

Lidl do sugar free chocolate that comes in little individual packets.

I'm with you on this one. I would far prefer the plastic tat to come home and wouldn't find it weird at all.

IcedVanillaLatte Thu 03-Nov-16 13:42:19

Lidl do sugar free chocolate that comes in little individual packets.

Really??! What is this wonder substance called? I've never found sugar free stuff in my local lidls. <want>

mikeyssister Thu 03-Nov-16 13:46:33

What about colourful rubbers or pencils instead?

stonecircle Thu 03-Nov-16 13:51:23

This used to infuriate me when my kids were in primary. DS2 had to have 4 molar extractions when he was four because the enamel hadn't formed properly on them. I was always uber careful about his teeth and then he'd come out of school with some awful sherbet lolly or similar crap stuck in his mouth. Teachers used to hand sweets out as rewards too angry

The school did then ask parents not to send in sweets but perhaps something like a book or game for the class. Or perhaps some unusual fruits for the class to try. Not sure how long that lasted though!

EdmundCleverClogs Thu 03-Nov-16 13:55:40

Could you bake a sugar-free cake?

hollie11 Thu 03-Nov-16 13:56:40

Why not take in yoyo bears or mini raisin boxes instead? Slightly healthier than sweets

mamadoc Thu 03-Nov-16 14:00:04

Don't do what one mum in DC reception class did last year: whistles!!

You could hear it for miles. Thirty 4 and 5 yr olds blasting on plastic whistles.

What on earth possessed her. Give me a packet of haribos over that any day.

Watchingitall Thu 03-Nov-16 14:07:08

The sweets just feel like a self feeding monster. Mums just do it because other mums do it. There are nearly 50 kids in reception! There is loads of stuff I could send in- along the lines of the pencils/rubbers kind of theme.. I think that's a good idea. They'd probably try and eat the rubbers.. grin

Am I going to piss other mums off though? I don't want to look like I'm trying to out-do everyone. And really, when I think about it- having one less packet of haribo's over the year isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. Can you tell I'll sit on a fence over just about anything?!

AmeliaJack Thu 03-Nov-16 14:25:39

The other mothers will just think it's a kind thing to do - if anyone comments just briefly mention that your DD isn't allowed sweeties because of her health.

Watchingitall Thu 03-Nov-16 14:31:55

Thanks for replying. That's how I'd take it too. Xx

mouldycheesefan Thu 03-Nov-16 14:34:59

Ask the school to stop the whole practice of taking in sweets. Most schools do not allow it.

stonecircle Thu 03-Nov-16 14:51:40

What mouldy said - take it up with the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now