Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not give my presentation away following an unsuccessful job interview?

(45 Posts)
TygerTyger Thu 03-Nov-16 10:36:42

Hello, I've just been for a job interview. I've been told how marvellous I am (natch) and how wonderfully confident I am (not). I have been asked if I give them my presentation as a lot of work had obvs gone into it. The cost of the suit was £200, some journals for research was 50 quid and DH and DF think I should not give my research away. I don't want to p*ss them off, but in this job climate it feels that you have to give give give. On the one hand I want to please but on the other hand I'm tempted to feel its unprofessional of me to give proper work away for nothing. Help! hmm

incywincybitofa Thu 03-Nov-16 11:10:27

Have you been rejected? If not then it is unreasonable of them to ask you to do however many hours of labour and shell out expenses for no remuneration and you are probably better off not working for the cheap and lazy so and sos

incywincybitofa Thu 03-Nov-16 11:11:13

Sorry I meant if so- if you have been rejected

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Thu 03-Nov-16 11:13:33

Dont give them anything

Mamamamiaa Thu 03-Nov-16 11:14:16

hahahaha they must be joking cheeky sods!

LurkingHusband Thu 03-Nov-16 11:14:20

Watermark your email/LinkedIn profile address onto the slides ?

Mamamamiaa Thu 03-Nov-16 11:15:38

Hello sorry you have been unsucessful for this job but can we please have your presentation for free? fuckers

NetHag Thu 03-Nov-16 11:17:40

Absolutely not!

If they like your work, they can hire you and pay for it. Otherwise - NO.

Guitargirl Thu 03-Nov-16 11:18:11

I think they have a bloody nerve and like hell would I be giving them that presentation.

Mamamamiaa Thu 03-Nov-16 11:18:24

and do what Lurking says

Trifleorbust Thu 03-Nov-16 11:19:45

Tell them you would be more than happy to give it to them and suggest a reasonable fee for your time. If they want it for nothing, they are shit employers anyway.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 03-Nov-16 11:20:17

no way.

XinnaJane Thu 03-Nov-16 11:20:19

I would give it to them, in return for your consultancy rate for however long it took you to produce, plus expenses. They're a business- why would they expect to get something for nothing?

Ifailed Thu 03-Nov-16 11:21:41

if it was for a role at the place you currently work at, it could be difficult to refuse as it could be seen to be unhelpful and not being a team-player, or whatever consultant bullshit your HR department use.

monkeywithacowface Thu 03-Nov-16 11:23:21

Cheeky bastards no way!

MistressMolecules Thu 03-Nov-16 11:23:22

No don't I've them the presentation! If the job had been given to you and they were asking for the presentation as a useful training tool and you were given full credit for it always (so as previous poster has said your email/LinkedIn profile watermark) then I would consider that. However you have been unsuccessful with the job so I would keep it and keep full control of it. It might come in useful for you in future for further job interviews.

Arfarfanarf Thu 03-Nov-16 11:24:01

You could certainly say you are happy to sell it to them.

I think they've got a nerve to want you to give them your presentation for a job they didnt want to hire you to do!

TheProblemOfSusan Thu 03-Nov-16 11:26:47

If you currently work there, yes, if not, then absolutely say you're happy to but will need to be reimbursed for time and cost of research.

Employers really are fucking cheeky in some industries. I'd NEVER ask that of anyone we were hiring if we rejected them.

velourvoyageur Thu 03-Nov-16 11:27:25

'Certainly. Please find attached an invoice for my services.'

Cost of materials (£50) + hourly rate.

Where I work charges well over £100/hour for this kind of thing, for reference.

kaitlinktm Thu 03-Nov-16 11:44:58

Cheeky devils! shock (That is if they haven't given you the job).
I do hope you haven't given it to them.
If you don't want a confrontation (and I wouldn't myself) then you could either:

(1) Just not respond - see if they are brass-necked to come back to you.

(2) If they do, then say some guff about not being comfortable sharing a resource which you may wish to use and share with a new EMPLOYER (only don't put it in caps like I have). Some baloney about copyright might do here.

(3) If they are so hard-faced as to come back again after that, just express your astonishment that you weren't considered good enough to employ when your work evidently is so valued.

Cheeky fekkers and tell them I said so !!!!!

CondyLisa Thu 03-Nov-16 11:49:15

Did they ask for the presentation, out of interest?

TheFreaksShallInheritTheEarth Thu 03-Nov-16 11:50:26

Sod that! Cheeky feckers.

What reason did they give for not giving you the job if they think you are wonderful?

Noctilucent Thu 03-Nov-16 11:51:58

You have been rejected for a role but they want your presentation - did I understand that correctly ?

The answer is no. Or yes, for a fee of £2,000 plus VAT.

Brass neck.

CustardShoes Thu 03-Nov-16 11:53:10

NO. They are unreasonable to ask.

Just No.

Bluntness100 Thu 03-Nov-16 11:55:40

You need to give more info. Is this your current employer? If so absolutely do it, say thanks for the opportunity and be happy. If not, then would you apply for a job with them again? Then it's a yes, if not, no.

Also have uou been rejected? This is really more relevant if it's not your current employer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now