Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your help in writing absence email from work?

(25 Posts)
cinnamondazed Thu 03-Nov-16 08:52:59

Been out work for a few days on courses and think it's got to me as woke up today feeling terrible! It's a fairly new job in a professional/finance environment though (only started in Sep) and I have no idea how I approach saying I'm too unwell to go in - do I give details of my symptoms? Don't want them to think I'm lying/slacking. Am not busy at the moment though luckily as still so new so not like they will be struggling...

Please someone help grin have to send an email in by 9ish and my brain won't play ball!

Note3 Thu 03-Nov-16 08:55:43

Are you sure you're allowed to email? At my work we must speak to a manager (not leave a msg or email or talk to a colleague instead of manager) else it's a disciplinary for us.

PurpleDaisies Thu 03-Nov-16 08:55:45

Is it normal to email? I'd always phone so I the message definitely got through.

I'd just say you're feeling too unwell to work, give details of anything that needs to be done by someone else and say you'll be back in tomorrow.

moreslackthanslick Thu 03-Nov-16 08:56:42

Can't you phone up?

If emailing I'd say I was unwell, not give symptoms and give a contact number if they wanted to speak to you.

HermioneWeasley Thu 03-Nov-16 08:56:50

Firstly you call rather than email if you really, really can't go in

Personally having only been there a few weeks I would go in, even if you have to get a taxi there and back. It's better to make the effort and have everyone see that you really are ill

ChuckGravestones Thu 03-Nov-16 08:57:23

If it were me I'd go in and get sent home in a new job.

Gazelda Thu 03-Nov-16 08:57:54

Dear xxx
I am unwell today and Unable to make it in to the office. I'll keep in touch and let you know ASAP If I am not expecting to be sufficiently better to be able to come in tomorrow.
There are no urgent issues with my workload that need picking up in my absence.
Best wishes
Xxx

lastqueenofscotland Thu 03-Nov-16 08:58:10

We have to call.

I'd try and go in, unless you are shitting/vomming involuntarily

pitterpatterrain Thu 03-Nov-16 08:59:25

We always email as not everyone you will be working with is in the same office / in the office. Usually drop a note to key team members along the lines of - not well today and depending on how I am feeling may add maybe / unlikely to be online later in the day (laptops so can work from home)

Rachel0Greep Thu 03-Nov-16 08:59:57

Same here, phone call to relevant person, usually direct line manager.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 03-Nov-16 09:00:07

Don't email. If you definitely can't go in, phone and explain that you're ill, and give details of anything that needs covering today.

If you only started in September I'd probably go in and make a go of it, and leave if you need too - it shows willing and people tend to forget absences where you did go in and they saw you easier.

2014newme Thu 03-Nov-16 09:00:31

We have to call emailing is not all. Ring your manager direct.

Trifleorbust Thu 03-Nov-16 09:02:05

Don't list symptoms. You are informing work that you are unwell, not trying to convince them. If you call then briefly explain what is wrong. You will presumably have to self-certify your absence so then is the time to explain any symptoms.

cinnamondazed Thu 03-Nov-16 09:02:22

It's definitely an email job as it's a project-based role; was explicitly told when I was started, if you are too unwell to go in, email xxx before xyz am.

cinnamondazed Thu 03-Nov-16 09:03:24

Nothing needs covering as I have been out of office doing courses/professional qualification and have no real work at the moment. I am concerned now thinking that I should try and go in - really feeling not well though.

PurpleDaisies Thu 03-Nov-16 09:03:42

Presumably you've now sent your email-what did you go with?

Get well soon.smile

HuckleberryGin Thu 03-Nov-16 09:05:17

DH has to email rather than phone, as there is a lot of remote working. I have to give symptoms/what is wrong, because they fill in a form for HR.

cinnamondazed Thu 03-Nov-16 09:05:25

Also do I say I will be in tomorrow? Chances are I will but don't know what to say. Sorry I'm useless, brain not working at all sad

daisypond Thu 03-Nov-16 09:06:10

Yep, we would have to phone, too, and as early as possible - at the very least an hour - before you're due to start. So if you were to start at 9am, you couldn't possibly phone in at 8:55.to say you weren't coming in. My office opens at 6am, so I would set the alarm to make sure I'd phone in then.

cinnamondazed Thu 03-Nov-16 09:07:55

Still haven't sent it! Thanks for the help though all smile deadline is 9.45. Will send now, thinking of going along line of: hi x, hope you're well - unfortunately I'm feeling very unwell today and not able to make it in/will let you know if situation changes etc. Thanks very much, Cinnamon

AntiHop Thu 03-Nov-16 09:09:47

I think that sounds fine.

Trifleorbust Thu 03-Nov-16 09:11:27

That's fine. I don't know why people are so intent on getting you to go to work ill hmm

If you are sick you are sick. They will know tomorrow if you are still sick so just worry about getting better today.

MrsderPunkt Thu 03-Nov-16 09:26:39

If you are ill don't go in. If you are simply tired after attending courses then take a big glass of man the fuck up, get caffeine and sugar and get your arse to work.

Rachel0Greep Thu 03-Nov-16 09:29:44

That sounds fine.

cinnamondazed Thu 03-Nov-16 09:46:20

Thanks. I am tired yes but it's more than that - got a splitting headache and feeling really rough and run-down/nauseous. Have sent all, thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now