to ask you to reassure me there is a way to make my Childs dreams come true at christmas

(35 Posts)
ParrotPudding Thu 03-Nov-16 08:01:23

DD , nearly 4yo has asked/begged/demanded a peppa pig bike for Christmas since end of June time.
It'll be her first bike and we're really excited to get it for her and to see her face on Christmas morning.
The issue is that the bike description says its 12inches.
I drive a 2011 Nissan Micra, boot isn't the biggest.
Have two car seats in the back so seats down isn't an option. Also have a pushchair for DS but that folds down fairly small so I could put it in front seat/passengers lap if I had to.
Has anyone got a similar sized car and managed to fit this size bike in the boot? I asked Halfords and they said there is no bike rack small enough.
HELP

MaryManchego Thu 03-Nov-16 08:03:20

Is it for buying the bike or for taking it out with you?

blueturtle6 Thu 03-Nov-16 08:03:51

Can't you get the bike delivered?

JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Thu 03-Nov-16 08:04:16

Can the bike not go on the passenger seat? I'm sure we put the DCs 12 inch bikes on a rack though. They just had to be secured onto it with straps.

MaryManchego Thu 03-Nov-16 08:04:43

I'd either get it delivered or ask a friend with an estate car to collect it (tiny car owner here)

2410ang Thu 03-Nov-16 08:05:42

Why don't you go to Halfordsamd ask them if you can try it out? Our local branch is always really helpful with these sorts of requests smile

EveOnline2016 Thu 03-Nov-16 08:06:59

Do you mean to take the bike to a-z after purchase or just for the delivery

OwlinaTree Thu 03-Nov-16 08:07:34

Is it just to collect it or for taking it out with you on trips?

ParrotPudding Thu 03-Nov-16 08:45:52

Sorry, I meant taking it out and about.
Good idea pp, I'm off to Halfords to see if they will let me try it out.

SpringerS Thu 03-Nov-16 08:51:16

Do you mean 12" wheels? That's about as small as a bike gets apart from a balance bike aimed a a 2 year old. My 3 year old rides a bike with 14 inch wheels, so you certainly aren't going to get a smaller bike than that.

Allthewaves Thu 03-Nov-16 08:58:42

Roof box?

Allthewaves Thu 03-Nov-16 08:59:43

Also do your back seats split and fold down

BertrandRussell Thu 03-Nov-16 09:03:53

I would be a bit concerned about a 12 inch wheel for a 4 year old- isn'5 that a bit small? Or am I wrong?

Anotherdayanotherdollar Thu 03-Nov-16 09:04:58

Would it fit between the two car seats? It's a pretty small bike... Leave the pushchair in the boot and put bike on passenger seat? Or get it anyway and use it around the house. She might not show that much interest once she actually has it.

BartholinsSister Thu 03-Nov-16 09:09:28

Order it from Amazon. It's cheaper and delivery is only 99p.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Thu 03-Nov-16 09:11:22

Maybe not helpful but just buy the bike if it's what she wants. We have 2 dc with bikes we can't fit both in the car, they are used to only being able to use the bikes locally. We have scooters for going to the park as they do fit.

5moreminutes Thu 03-Nov-16 09:12:10

That is a tiny bike, I think you'd fit it in the boot quite easily. It might be the right size for a small to average height 3 yo though (as she is nearly 4 she is still 3 grin ) not necessarily too small, and it is easier to get going on a slightly too small bike anyway - a bike "to grow into" is a lot harder to learn to ride.

Yep do try it out - I'd let DD have a trial ride in the shop too if you haven't already. If she is taller rather than smaller for her age the bike could really be too small, so worth checking.

ohtheholidays Thu 03-Nov-16 09:17:46

What about one of those bike racks that you can buy that attach to the boot of the car?

There's some images of them on here
www.hollywoodracks.com/bike-racks/trunk-racks/

Halfords sell them as well.

FerretFred Thu 03-Nov-16 09:22:41

Look at the the roofbox company (they're on line). They do carriers for Nissan Micras.

It will be ok for kids bikes but as they get older and the bikes bigger, it puts a hell of a strain on the car.

Fink Thu 03-Nov-16 09:34:05

Agree with pp that that seems too small a bike for a child that age, but if you've tried it and it fits then one option is to get a false crossbar so that it can fit onto a standard car rear-mounted bike rack (check the specs to make sure it will fit). False crossbars are routinely used when the bikes are too small to fit on the rack normally, but I'm not sure whether 12'' will still be too small as it is tiny.

Alternatively, you could get her a bigger bike and decorate it with loads of Peppa Pig stuff. Then you'd still need a false crossbar to transport it.

Kitsandkids Thu 03-Nov-16 09:34:21

We've got 2 kids, so 2 bikes. We can't easily fit them in the car so we use them around where we live - riding to school, at the local park, etc. The kids get plenty of use out of them. Don't you have anywhere near you where she can ride?

RepentAtLeisure Thu 03-Nov-16 09:47:29

I wouldn't worry about travelling with it. It would be odd to not get her the bike because you can't take it on trips?

ParrotPudding Thu 03-Nov-16 09:58:55

Guidelines are 12inch for 3-5yr olds. She's extremely small for her age, in 18-24 month old clothing love her. I've tried the bike for size with her and its ok.
Thanks for all the advice, I just got back from Halfords. Turns out, not only can I fit the bike in there, I can also fit the pushchair in too!
Hurrah!

Rhythmsticks Thu 03-Nov-16 10:01:26

I was just coming on to say this bike is tiny -I fitted it in a smart car! But I see you spoke to Halfords!

MiniLop Thu 03-Nov-16 10:01:34

Get the front wheel fitted with a quick release skewer? You'd be able to get it on and off in seconds and would probably fit in your boot then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now