Talk

Advanced search

Vaping in the house

(13 Posts)
emu81 Wed 02-Nov-16 22:10:27

Sorry this a long one but hang in there, I will get to the point! I was a smoker for years and quit 6 years ago, I am now pretty anti smoking. Dh promised he would quit by the time dd was born (now 5 yrs) he didn't but did cut down considerably and eventually started vaping. He still vapes and is incredibly careless with leaving his vape things around (the nicotine mix, flavours and the vapes themselves) I have emptied a shelf for him to use in a high cupboard so the children can't get them but he always leaves stuff around. I found my 2 yr old ds with a vape in his mouth and playing with bottles of the fluid before. I do get really angry about this as some of the bottles lying around contain nicotine and are therefore poisonous I have never found him with these bottles. My other thing is that every time I ask him to go outside he gradually works his way back to the back door and then the kitchen looks like a smoke machine has been in it (only when the kids have gone to bed) every time I bring this up it starts an argument. Aibu?

JustGettingStarted Wed 02-Nov-16 22:16:39

The fog in the kitchen isn't a big deal, imo.

But leaving the poisonous liquids where the kids can get them is absolutely not OK.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Wed 02-Nov-16 22:19:13

What just said. Leaving liquids around is irresponsible, clouds of vapour is... well just vapour.

Bluntness100 Wed 02-Nov-16 22:20:51

It's just vapour, so yeah that's unreasonable, give the guy a break, but he shouldn't leave it lying around.

emu81 Wed 02-Nov-16 22:33:52

Thanks for the replies yes I am being silly about the vapour, I think I just hate the smell and am overreacting! I do tend to when I get something in my head. I will just keep on reminding him to put things away properly.

AuntDotsie Wed 02-Nov-16 22:38:46

We have a 16mo DS. Our nic and juices are upstairs, in a lockbox, in a cupboard, in a room with a bolt on it. Always.

But yeah, no passive risk from vaping so meh on the clouds, although they are annoying!

Daytona79 Thu 03-Nov-16 06:58:28

The clouds are full of glycol which is a irritant and isn't ideal for lungs so I'd be angry at him doing it near children

JustGettingStarted Thu 03-Nov-16 07:30:38

He's not doing it near children. He's vaping in the kitchen after they've gone to bed.

The risk to children is leaving the little bottles of juice around. That is absolutely not on and he needs to be brought up on that.

Daytona79 Thu 03-Nov-16 07:52:48

Well I wouldn't want to breath it in either personally, but I agree bottles lying around isn't on and I'd be telling him if I find them anywhere but the cupboard they will be going in the dustbin

Anniegetyourgun Thu 03-Nov-16 07:59:53

Would it work if you explained that his precious bottles are likely to get broken, rather than that your children may be poisoned? Some people can believe a risk of mild consequences better than horrendous ones, funnily enough. He may be able to mentally dismiss your fears of poisoning as you being over-protective, but 2-year-olds smashing things is a very present and obvious risk - to him!

Vapour probably isn't dangerous but if you don't like it you don't like it and he really ought to respect that. A thoughtless smoker may give up the smoking but the being thoughtless is a more fundamental change...

Stormwhale Thu 03-Nov-16 08:03:12

Get him to Google nicotine poisoning in children. It's fucking terrifying. My e cig is never left within dds reach and the liquids are up out of sight and reach. I treat them as I would medicines and am very paranoid about them. She is too fucking precious.

OurBlanche Thu 03-Nov-16 08:03:33

1. Tell him to vape a flavour you like/can tolerate the smell of
2. Throw any vaping kit left in reach of kids into the bin - or hide them until he notices and tell him you put them in the bin... force the argument!
3. Give up the 'poisonous fog' aspect of your argument, it won't hold up and will weaken your other points!

DH vapes. He always asks when he gets a new flavour and keeps his 'stuff' in one tub in one drawer - though the batteries seem to need a lot of space/time to recharge smile

He is healthier, happier and less smelly. He also has more money on his pocket! Fighting against vaping is counter productive. Choose to support the act of quitting cigarettes instead of getting pious about the alternative!

dingdongdigeridoo Thu 03-Nov-16 08:25:25

I don't mind DH vaping in the house. I do ask that he doesn't do it when DS is in the room or car. It sounds silly, but we don't know all the effects of passive vaping yet. Also, I don't really want DS to get into it when he's older. Agreed that the clouds are gross. Is he using cheapo vape? The expensive stuff is a tad less offensive.

Can you get him a locked box or similar for all his vape stuff?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now