To ask what food you find disappoints you?

(79 Posts)
malificent7 Wed 02-Nov-16 21:30:45

I only buy butternut squash about once a year... It looks so good and pretty.
The reality is that it's fiddly to prepare and only tastes really good in a soup.

Likewise, I hadn't had a pomegranate in years but it looked so pretty and seasonal in lidls. Now I realise why I hardly ever buy it... It's fiddly as he'll to eat and the pith is sour.

Other foods;
Pears- grainy
Gala apples-floury and tasteless
Pumpkin-gloomy and tasteless/ anything it touches looks like poo
Herbal teas- smell great but taste blah
Peaches- taste great but the furry skin makes me shudder

Boundaries Wed 02-Nov-16 21:32:38

Chips.

Smell divine. Taste like oily potatoes.

TriJo Wed 02-Nov-16 21:33:12

Chocolate ice cream. I love chocolate, I love ice cream but I find the combination never quite hits the spot for me.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Wed 02-Nov-16 21:33:31

Agree that herbal teas smell delicious but taste like dishwater

alphabettyspaghetty Wed 02-Nov-16 21:33:48

Yes! Pomegranate... chefs describe them as jewels on a salad... no they are crunchy sour stones.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Wed 02-Nov-16 21:34:08

Also, Pringles are very disappointing lately

gabsdot Wed 02-Nov-16 21:34:41

McDonald's. It's always a disappointment.

dudsville Wed 02-Nov-16 21:35:16

Meat sausages. There's always a mystery crunchy bit so I use veggie sausages instead.

leanback Wed 02-Nov-16 21:36:54

Avocado. People are always posting pictures of It on toast with a poached egg and it looks amazing. It just tastes like mush.

justdontevenfuckingstart Wed 02-Nov-16 21:38:29

Mussels. I got some from Lidl. Total rubbish.

tofutti Wed 02-Nov-16 21:39:08

Restaurant food (apart from places I where I know what I'm getting like Nandos, Busaba, Ping Pong etc)

It annoys me having to pay £15 for a main I could have cooked it at home.

MaddyHatter Wed 02-Nov-16 21:39:55

chocolate yogurt.. its like its having an identity crisis.. its neither pudding nor yogurt, its just.. bleh.

BigPointyStick Wed 02-Nov-16 21:41:48

' Healthy' versions of most things really.

TroysMammy Wed 02-Nov-16 21:42:02

Recently, dragon fruit, looks so pretty, doesn't taste of anything. Also papaya, no distinctive smell and no taste of the tropics either. Both totally pointless.

Modern Artic Roll, tasted like cardboard and didn't evoke memories of my '70's childhood.

Longdistance Wed 02-Nov-16 21:43:24

Granny Smith apples. Look delicious but are sour like lemons.

I agree with pears, especially conference pears.

Now, celery, I just love the look of, sitting there looking all healthy, but tasting utterly dreadful.

Salted caramel belongs to Satan.

frikadela01 Wed 02-Nov-16 21:44:16

Fish and chips. I very rarely eat them but get a taste for it sometimes. Then I remember why I never eat fish and chips... greasy horribleness.

bertsdinner Wed 02-Nov-16 21:47:42

Conference pears. I do actually love them, but they have to be hard and not fully ripe. They can be too sweet and I think then they have a weird, chemical taste.

IdaDown Wed 02-Nov-16 21:47:56

Brownies.

Most are overcooked and loose that delicious squidgy / squishy inner with the cracked crust.

<needs a brownie>

EdmundCleverClogs Wed 02-Nov-16 21:52:25

Salted caramel belongs to Satan

shock you dirty liar, it's a beautiful thing, the angels themselves eat it grin.

Crisps. Any flavour really. I'll fancy a packet, but they all just taste 'off' and I regret eating them.

EdmundCleverClogs Wed 02-Nov-16 21:55:45

IdaDown, Dominos pizza (oddly) make the best brownies. They're usually still warm as well, so almost gooey on the inside, whilst a bit caught on the outside.

blueturtle6 Wed 02-Nov-16 21:56:09

KFC, always crave it, eat it and blah its never ever as good.
Roast dinners eaten out never as good as home cooked.
Sharon fruit looks juicy and orangey, sucks the life out of you mouth.
Strawberry's at this time of year, still with memories of summer but taste watery.

blueturtle6 Wed 02-Nov-16 21:57:56

Agree with edmund, dominos pizza brownies are lush, we have to order a portion each.

plominoagain Wed 02-Nov-16 21:59:14

Oh yes to avocado ! I get it's got all these healthy bonus points blah blah blah , but it's just .... green and tasteless . Sorry , Nigella and Jamie , I know you rave , but no . Just no .

e1y1 Wed 02-Nov-16 22:00:39

Mango: love it pre-prepared, what a faff doing it yourself, and doesn't taste right. Probably the only fruit I can think of worth paying to have pre-prepared.

Herbal teas - as mentioned (not really a tea fan though).

Most pears aren't nice (every now and again will get a good bunch), besides Costco ones - they are simply the most stunning thing I have ever tasted.

user1467976192 Wed 02-Nov-16 22:01:01

Blue berries they look so good but taste so bland

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now