Talk

Advanced search

to be embarrassed at having to go to A&E for this?

(147 Posts)
RentANDBills Wed 02-Nov-16 16:11:55

I realise the title sounds like I've shoved something where I shouldn't have (or "tripped and fell") and need it removed. Sorry to disappoint, not one of those stories!!

I had a coil fitted this Saturday and it was excruciating (literally a whole other thread), according to the little booklet afterwards, it shouldn't have been that painful.
Afterwards, Satan's mistress the doctor tried to use an ultrasound on my belly to check it was in the right place.
Because I have, and I quote, a "backwards" uterus, and I was in so much pain I couldn't stay still, she gave up before seeing it.

Cramps are totally normal apparently, but I've been distinctly feeling a stabbing pain - always in the same space, and alongside the cramps. Its not constant, but frequent enough and when I feel it it makes it difficult to stand up.
It feels a lot like something is stuck and is pressing into the side of my uterus, but I'm not convinced that isn't me just with that idea in my head IYSWIM.

I put up with it for several days but in the end called 111 yesterday to ask what to do.
I spoke to a lovely nurse who told me I should get an ultrasound again to try and see that it was in the right place, hadn't perforated my uterus or got stuck in my cervix. She said to go to A+E.

I said I didn't really fancy getting out of my PJs and wasting an evening in A+E that I could spend eating ice cream - which in itself is a good sign of someone who doesn't need to go to A+E. She laughed, agreed and said then if I felt I could cope, to call family planning in the morning (who fitted it).

Now after hours and hours of phone calls, I have found out that there are only two places within travelling distance that have ultrasound that aren't the hospital - neither have doctors present until next Tuesday.
My GP can refer me to the ultrasound at the hospital for an appointment, but again that won't happen until Tuesday. None of the walk in centres have the right equipment.

I don't think I have a choice but to go to A+E (which is literally 2 minutes from work) after work.

But it isn't an Emergency. I feel ridiculous for going, I feel like I'll be wasting their time! This is not the purpose of the service, surely?
I'm embarrassed to trot over and whinge that my "belly hurts" whilst people come in holding their own heads under their elbows etc and have swords coming out their chests.
Though I appreciate that beheadings and sword injuries will have priority.

AIBU?

RentANDBills Wed 02-Nov-16 16:12:38

That was long blush I'm embarrassed about that too! grin

user1471461752 Wed 02-Nov-16 16:13:20

I would go. You're not being silly.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Wed 02-Nov-16 16:14:47

Just tell them 111 sent you. It does sound like it needs a scan. Hope you get sorted soon flowers

CwtchMeQuick Wed 02-Nov-16 16:14:59

Definitely go! Say you're there after you got advice from 111

Idratherbeaunicorn Wed 02-Nov-16 16:15:40

Its almost a week until Tuesday, I don't think you would be being unreasonable by going to A&E. If it is affecting your ability to do every day things, and its painful you should get it checked.
I don't want to scare monger or anything, but if you wait a week and then find out that it had perforated something etc, you wouldn't want to find that having left it in for longer has lead to further complications!
I hope you're sorted soon, OP, sounds awful! flowers

PeppaIsMyHero Wed 02-Nov-16 16:15:43

You sound really thoughtful, despite grappling with unexpected pain!

It's unfortunate, but it sounds like you should go to A&E. You can't wait 6 days when the cause of that pain might do permanent damage.

I think they get bothered with much less serious stuff than this.

MrsMozart Wed 02-Nov-16 16:16:09

Go.

RentANDBills Wed 02-Nov-16 16:17:56

Maybe I should cover myself in fake blood or something to look the part?

RentANDBills Wed 02-Nov-16 16:17:56

Maybe I should cover myself in fake blood or something to look the part?

RentANDBills Wed 02-Nov-16 16:18:15

Thank you though, feel a bit better about going!

shovetheholly Wed 02-Nov-16 16:27:18

I have a retroverted uterus and also experienced pain with the coil. I think you need to be seen by a doctor, but you could try taking full doses of both paracetamol and ibuprofen together in the interim. The pair of them, combined, does things that each used singly does not! Be careful, obviously, that you don't exceed the maximum dosage for either medication in any 24 hour period.

KurriKurri Wed 02-Nov-16 16:28:32

Well yes there will be beheadings and sword injuries, but there will also be people who have deliberately shoved a pineapple up their bum.

So I'd say you have every right to go with a non self-inflicted complaint. (And 111 have told you to go - the pain doesn't sound normal so you need to get it checked out)

PlumsGalore Wed 02-Nov-16 16:29:08

I am very much of the opinion that something should be an accident or an emergency to attend A&E.

I think this absolutely needs medical assistance, you could have perforated something and leaving it would put you into the emergency category. Go, please.

Hope everything turns out OK. PS I had a coil for many years and apart from initial bleeding for six weeks I had no pain at all after insertion.

Musicaltheatremum Wed 02-Nov-16 16:35:01

Your GP should probably refer you to the on call gynae doctor. Then you could go to gynae directly without sitting in ED.

expatinscotland Wed 02-Nov-16 16:35:02

It may well have perforated your uterus. Definitely needs checked.

RentANDBills Wed 02-Nov-16 16:37:08

Musicaltheatremum I can't get ahold of my GP, I've been calling all day. If I manage to get through is that exactly what I should ask for? An on call gynaecologist?

ashamedtoask Wed 02-Nov-16 16:40:05

Go, go, go.

Been there done that - from the moment it was in I was sore, got pain relief as soon as out of theatre (done in hospital) and kept in hospital overnight. I got injections of stuff to help the pain, I think diclofenac , and codydramol. I have a retroverted uterus too which they said might be making it worse, and eventually conked out with the pain at my work , ended up in A&E again , diagnosed with late cervical shock and it was removed later that day following scans. Worst thing I've ever done to be honest, getting it fitted - I'm now on the mini pill and decapeptyl and coping much better so far.

I'm not sure how many times I actually went to A&E and out of hours in total over the coil - I remember I had a thread on here. It must have been well over 15 times. Had loads of ultrasounds. It was in for 2 years before I blacked out and they agreed it was useless .

Babymamamama Wed 02-Nov-16 16:42:31

Go get checked out. I've had two coils fitted and it shouldn't hurt that much.

AgathaMystery Wed 02-Nov-16 16:42:33

Just go. They won't mind & The on call Gynae should be able to scan you.

PinkSwimGoggles Wed 02-Nov-16 16:42:42

if a&e is the only place you can get seen then you need to go.

LadyDawn Wed 02-Nov-16 16:44:28

Your health is your number 1 priority! Put down the ice-cream and go over to A&E. The staff there will be capable enough to prioritise, so no need to worry there. Good luck smile

AntheaBelveden Wed 02-Nov-16 16:47:42

Going to a&e would not be unreasonable.

Calling an ambulance to take you there would be.

Go, you're in pain and need to see a doctor on the off chance that it's something serious.

Peanutandphoenix Wed 02-Nov-16 16:55:56

Please go to a&e if your in that much pain then you need it looking at don't leave it any longer incase it has done some serious damage.

Rachie1986 Wed 02-Nov-16 17:04:02

Def a&e. Please get yourself checked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now