Talk

Advanced search

to consider retraining for a new career at the age of 43?

(27 Posts)
PrizeyPrize Wed 02-Nov-16 11:13:48

or am I past it?

Has anyone else retrained at a later stage in life?

I'm not settled quite on what I want to do, I've a couple of ideas, one of which is teaching, but what other careers can you enter into at a later stage in life?

rainyinnovember Wed 02-Nov-16 11:17:20

I hope not as I hope to retrain in my early 40s (I am 34 very, nearly 35 now.)

mintthins Wed 02-Nov-16 11:17:58

I hope you are not past it. I'm 51 and also thinking about a (new) career. Given how old we will be expected to work until now, it really makes sense to be thinking about it now. It's not like 30 years ago when everyone retired at 60. I fully expect that when I do figure out a new career it will be till I am in my seventies.

I started training for the priesthood in my mid forties. Going back into academic study with a job and family was really hard at first but I survived by doing enough to pass and getting the family to pull their weight. I found I enjoyed studying and have done a post graduate degree whilst working.

It is possible. It is hard work but I love my job and it was worth it.

Idratherbeaunicorn Wed 02-Nov-16 11:31:39

Go for it OP!
Unfortunately, its more than likely that we'll all be working for fair few years yet, why not make those years fun and interesting, doing something different?!

PrizeyPrize Wed 02-Nov-16 11:46:56

Thank you all, I feel more 'Midsummer' rather than 'Autumnal' now!
Ok I will look at how I can train to be a Food Tech teacher, (I have a HND in a related subject) I think in my heart that's really what I want to do, but don't know where to start. Teacher training seems to have various different approaches and I'm a bit confused.

Antifrank Wed 02-Nov-16 11:48:42

Do it. You still have 25 years of working life at least. Plenty of time to become an expert in your new chosen field.

AmyGDalae Wed 02-Nov-16 11:50:58

I'm at med school, there are several graduate entry students who are in their 30s and 40s.

ImperialBlether Wed 02-Nov-16 11:53:55

Bear in mind most teachers your age want to get out, OP. And have a look at the Food Tech syllabuses, too - my children love to cook but were bored rigid in their (different) schools.

Missdread Wed 02-Nov-16 11:58:50

Go for it OP! There are loads of great routes into teaching these days, such as "on the job" school-centred training where you get paid a salary while you train. It's a rewarding profession, as long as you don't allow yourself to get too bogged down by all the policy changes and stick to building up a great teaching and learning relationship with your classes. You do normally need a BA/BSc undergraduate degree to access postgraduate training however, not an HND, unless there is wiggle room in that now. If not, you should be able to get on a BEd course. They love mature students with life experience in industry and the real world so I'd say you'd be great! Good luck!

rainyinnovember Wed 02-Nov-16 13:24:36

You lot have inspired me smile

It's so hard isn't it? My own mum retrained when I was little so I feel a bit lazy but my youngest is still v going.

rainyinnovember Wed 02-Nov-16 13:24:44

*young!

DudeWheresMyVulva Wed 02-Nov-16 13:27:06

Do it. smile My cousin retrained when she was 40 to be a solicitor. She said she would be 45 before she qualified, but given she 'would be 45 anyway regardless' it was worth it. I thought that was a pretty good approach!

Tiggles Wed 02-Nov-16 13:30:10

I'm in my 40s and retraining to be a priest. Waves at thegreenheartofmymanyroundabouts. I love studying but it is hard to fit everything in on top of a full time job and still find quality time for the kids, housework etc.
My DH is embarking on the trip of retraining as a secondary school teacher. Given the current state of the profession i think that's a big step. Most people probably think that about being a vicar though.

DudeWheresMyVulva Wed 02-Nov-16 13:30:39

Also- my DMum was a nurse. She did nurse training when she was 17. She had me at the age of 19. For all of my life I heard about how she hated nursing and wanted to retrain as a teacher but 'I am too old now'. She must have been saying that from the time she was in her late 20s, early 30s as that is from when I can remember her saying it. What a total waste. She is still working at the age of 62 and says that she hates her life and feels she has wasted it.

ReturnfromtheStars Wed 02-Nov-16 13:30:57

Go for it!

One of the best stoma nurses we met at hospital told us she has just recently changed careers. Her enthusiasm really showed and she was a lot better than many others.

Tiggles Wed 02-Nov-16 13:31:28

Forgot to say DH got some good advice from a local uni when he popped over to their education open day. Might be worth a vist as lots of unis will be having open days this month.

ReturnfromtheStars Wed 02-Nov-16 13:31:33

Oh the add the stoma nurse was in her late forties or early fifties.

CanadianJohn Wed 02-Nov-16 13:31:57

Having been unsuccessful at office work, I became an apprentice at the age of 43. I was (at that time) the oldest apprentice toolmaker in Ontario. That was 30 years ago, there are probably a lot of "mature" apprentices these days.

The new career was fine, though there were definitely some "challenging" (coff-coff) experiences along the way.

bumpetybumpbumpbump Wed 02-Nov-16 13:33:53

You really are not to old at 43. Your life experience will be so valuable, especially if you're considering teachingsmile

rollonthesummer Wed 02-Nov-16 13:36:29

Make sure you go into teaching with your eyes wide open.

Read the threads on the 'staff room' board here about people wanting to leave very carefully. Talk to existing teachers about their job, go into schools to shadow teachers.

Large numbers of people quit teaching in the first 3 years- would you be happy if you had to quit and then retrain again in 5 years?

SovietKitsch Wed 02-Nov-16 13:38:38

My mum began re-training in her mid-fifties after 30 years in teaching. She did it for herself originally, but over the past 7-8 years she has developed a whole new career for herself that she will happily continue until 75 and where she is still getting new qualifications. She effectively has a new retirement career! If 56 isn't too old, you must certainly be young enough!

Monroe Wed 02-Nov-16 13:45:38

I've just started uni to train to be a midwife. I'll be 44 when I qualify. The way i see it is even then I'll still have 15 to 20 years of work ahead of me so may as well be dping something I've always qanted to do. Good luck.

AfternoonTeaBus Wed 02-Nov-16 18:48:07

I am hoping it's not too late for me, almost 50 and due to be made redundant in the next few months. Have been an accountant for over 25 years would love to do something else and am happy to retrain. Would actually love a civilian role in the police but understand those are like hen's teeth.

Stopyourhavering Wed 02-Nov-16 18:53:28

Dh retrained from Dr (medicine)to Law/Barrister when he was 40! It was tough going for first few years but he's now self employed and wouldn't go back to NHS!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now