Talk

Advanced search

How old is too old for themed parties?

(14 Posts)
Oakmaiden Tue 01-Nov-16 17:15:56

My daughter is desperate to have a Harry Potter birthday party. She wants the works - lots of friends over, dressing up, potions lessons, etc...

She is 13. I am worried that she is a bit old for that sort of party really, and that her friends will think it is babyish...

Am I wrong?

MrTiddlestheFatCat Tue 01-Nov-16 17:18:14

If thats what she wants and you're okay to organise it, let her have it!

It won't be long until she grows out of it, and you'll be glad you made the most of it. Harry Potter is one of those things that often transcends child/adult boundaries- I would bloody love a party with potions lessons.

I guess it does depend what he friends are like though- do you think they are the type of people who would laugh at her for it? I still think if its what she wants then do it!

TheNaze73 Tue 01-Nov-16 17:18:23

If it was say Frozen as an example is agree but, Harry Potter?? I think she's the perfect age group for it.

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 01-Nov-16 17:18:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HereIAm20 Tue 01-Nov-16 17:40:52

My goddaughter had a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory party for her 16th. Some very imaginative (and sexy) outfits! Garden transformed into Willy Wonka's factory complete with double bed for grandparents and river of chocolate and great glass elevator. A good time was had by all!

Oakmaiden Tue 01-Nov-16 18:27:03

Ok - it is beginning to sound like I am being a misery. I just don't want her to get laughed at... Whilst I know a couple of her friends will love the idea, I am not sure if that will be a majority verdict.

Last year we did a "party in the dark" with lots of glow in the dark stuff - they did all enjoy that....

blueskyinmarch Tue 01-Nov-16 18:30:16

My DD had a Harry Potter party for her 18th. It was fantastic and all her friends came dressed up. We spent weeks making decorations for the house.

TeaBelle Tue 01-Nov-16 18:30:45

It's very easy to alter a themed party in accordance with ages - so for your dd a potions lesson could be non alcoholic cocktails, transfiguration could be a dress up photo booth type thing

Gatehouse77 Tue 01-Nov-16 18:33:21

My teens would love it!
And I'd enjoy planning it!

Mishmashpotatoes Tue 01-Nov-16 18:42:03

I don't think you're ever too old for a themed party! Plenty of people even have themed weddings.

I went to an Alice and Wonderland 21st.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 01-Nov-16 18:43:12

We had a Star Trek party in my 20s. I didn't know I was too old grin

Go for it.

leanback Tue 01-Nov-16 18:54:33

When I was fifteen I went to a barbie and ken theme party and when I was sixteen a friend had a storybook theme. I'm not sure it's the theme part which makes the difference it's what you do at the party. We just dressed up in fancy dress and had a house party for both of those. I think Harry Potter theme is fine for a 13 year old.

Oakmaiden Tue 01-Nov-16 19:07:45

I do like parties.

She is hoping I will get her some dry ice for their potions class... not sure what her other plans are...

Daydream007 Tue 01-Nov-16 19:09:29

That kind of party sounds fab for her age. Let her have it. Harry Potter is fine for her age. If she wanted a My little pony party then that would be seen as babyish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now