Talk

Advanced search

About people taking up room on trains!?

(104 Posts)
ChickyDuck Tue 01-Nov-16 16:25:37

I'm on a busy train, next to no spare seats. I'm sat next to a bloke who is just taking up so much room! He's not fat, so it's not like he can't help it. He's just sat with typical man splayed legs and jabby out elbows - I can't even sit properly I. The seat without touching him so I'm perched awkwardly on the edge.

AIBU to think that you only need to take up one seat at a time thankyouverymuch!?

PeachBellini123 Tue 01-Nov-16 16:27:14

Isn't this called 'manspreading'. A guy on the tube the other day had his legs spread so wide he took up two seats hmm

Unicornsarelovely Tue 01-Nov-16 16:29:01

Elbow him hard by accident while trying to get comfortable? Assert your space!

44PumpLane Tue 01-Nov-16 16:29:11

Can't you just ask him to shuffle over so he's only on his seat?

However YANBU as you shouldn't have to ask, on busy trains people shouldn't be spreading themselves out with bags or body parts!

TheSpottedZebra Tue 01-Nov-16 16:31:42

Tell him to budge up!

ChickyDuck Tue 01-Nov-16 16:31:59

He's plugged in and quite oblivious, doesn't seem to mind being elbowed or nudged hmm

He's not even a yoof, he's a middle aged bloke in dad jeans, loafers and a fleece!

KondosSecretJunkRoom Tue 01-Nov-16 16:32:42

Start coughing, loudly, really ham it up. Nothing like presenting as ground zero of a zombie plague to reclaim your personal space.

HillaryFTW Tue 01-Nov-16 16:32:43

Push back with your leg. Really disconcerts them.

OydNeverDeclinesGin Tue 01-Nov-16 16:32:53

I expect he has such magnificent balls he can't close his legs properly.

Snowflakes1122 Tue 01-Nov-16 16:33:54

Yeah. I'm sure he is oblivious...more like just doesn't care.
Yanbu

OohMavis Tue 01-Nov-16 16:36:34

You need this t-shirt.

AntiHop Tue 01-Nov-16 16:36:34

I use my bag to shove them.

BorpBorpBorp Tue 01-Nov-16 16:38:11

YANBU. It's all too common. Also men who walk with a comically wide gait because their balls are obviously so massive. I try to take up as much space as possible if I'm ever sitting next to a man on public transport.

Related: I often walk up steps two at a time (long legs). When I pass men walking up steps one at a time, they often start walking up two at a time to reassert their masculinity.

ruddynorah Tue 01-Nov-16 16:39:15

Why are you letting him? Just move into your whole seat.

PollyPerky Tue 01-Nov-16 16:40:27

Slightly off the topic but I hate it when many people on trains sit on the aisle seat, put the stuff on the window seat and look horrified if you ask if you can sit down.

The choose an aisle seat so it makes it really awkward for you to ask to sit down, rather than just plonking yourself next to them if they were by the window.

I alsoOP tend to get bigger people sitting next to me as I'm small and take up less than a whole seat!

ChickyDuck Tue 01-Nov-16 16:41:18

I tried that and just ended up pressed uncomfortably into him! He didn't seem to mind but I did so I shrank away again...

TheSpottedZebra Tue 01-Nov-16 16:44:44

Use your words, OP. And tap him on the arm if you need to get his attention.

helpimitchy Tue 01-Nov-16 16:45:05

Can't you just shout at him to move?

HillaryFTW Tue 01-Nov-16 16:46:02

You have to not mind! Or point out he is,squashing you.

Polly I prefer to sit in the aisle (less likely to get squashed by a manspreader). I Wilk always make eye contact when the train is,filling up and stand up to let others,in though.

TheNaze73 Tue 01-Nov-16 16:46:19

Assert yourself & tell him

BorpBorpBorp Tue 01-Nov-16 16:47:34

Try saying loudly "can you give me some personal space please." Note full stop not ? as you are telling not asking.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Tue 01-Nov-16 16:48:58

I've had more women do this to me than men.

dovesong Tue 01-Nov-16 16:49:55

I have been known to "accidentally" elbow men doing that and take over my share of the space while apologising profusely. I hate manspreading. If you look around a tube carriage almost every single arm rest will be taken by a man. They somehow feel entitled to the space.

BurnTheBlackSuit Tue 01-Nov-16 16:49:58

I had a shoving match with a man on the tube once. He then started shouting at me, and eventually huffily moved up because he knew he was in the wrong,

I was pissed off and didn't care at the time, but in hindsight it was a little scary.

ChickyDuck Tue 01-Nov-16 16:50:40

I have failed mumsnetters everywhere blush A free double came up and I moved away. I wish I was braver and more assertive in public situations like this! If it's was someone I knew I would be more than happy to say 'oi, shove up!'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now