Talk

Advanced search

to never touch raw meat

(25 Posts)
kiki22 Tue 01-Nov-16 16:25:23

Just that really I have a weird thing about touching raw meat with my bare hands I'm not keep on touching at all so I use utensils to lift and hold it when I'm cooking its never been an issue no one cares how I cook until 1 friend seen me do it and now she keeps asking when I'm going to get over it telling me I have to face my fear.

I have no idea why she gives a shit tbh but anyways AIBU yo refuse to touch it because I dont bloody want to?? I can't be the only person who thinks its gross can i?

BecauseIamaBear Tue 01-Nov-16 16:26:47

Your life..
Live it your way

FlyingElbows Tue 01-Nov-16 16:28:50

I don't touch it either but I have an issue about things touching my hands. I think it's your friend that needs to get over it tbh!

Missrubyring Tue 01-Nov-16 16:33:08

I'm with you I HATE HATE HATE touching raw meat envy so I also use utensils or I put on latex gloves, I don't care what anyone thinks, it's weird and I won't touch it.
Ignore your friend, she must be incredibly bores if she's fussing over how you handle your meat!!!

Missrubyring Tue 01-Nov-16 16:33:34

Bored

corythatwas Tue 01-Nov-16 16:56:45

Why exactly do you have to get over it?

I don't have an issue so am quite happy touching meat or fish or indeed any other food stuff, but I absolutely fail to see what harm it will do to pick it up with a utensil. Could your friend explain?

MaryField Tue 01-Nov-16 16:59:49

I touch all raw meat through kitchen roll. Yanbu. Just stand your ground

LegoCaltrops Tue 01-Nov-16 17:02:28

Use gloves? You can get the disposable vinyl gloves in boxes quite cheaply.

BecauseIamaBear Tue 01-Nov-16 17:09:54

WRT raw meat there is a big dollop of health warning..

It is good to anticipate that all chicken is infected with salmonella
Ditto all mince although it is most likely infected with E-choli...
the surface of beef and pork may be iffy

Of themselves these infections are not a problem as long as the meat is properly cooked,,(at least 60c) or if cooking a rare steak, the surface is well singed. HOWEVER... any surfaces that are touched by any raw meat can become infected,,, Again not a problem as long as meat is only put on cutting boards that are not then used for other ingredients that will not be thoroughly cooked.

So cutting chicken on a cutting board then preparing a salad on the same board is a big no no no,, Although preparing ships on the same board is not an issue as the chips will be cooked in hot oil...

Here endith the food safety lesson...
(I did a food hygiene course once way back)

gleam Tue 01-Nov-16 17:13:25

Ask her why she can't face her fear of spiders/heights/claustrophia/the dark/whatever.

Why does she give a shit?

kiki22 Tue 01-Nov-16 17:37:25

My point exactly why do I need to get over it it makes no difference to anyone at all. I had a phobia of dogs as a child but faced it when DC came along so as not to pass it along but this is not a problem for me. I also don't wash dishes without gloves not a problem either.

gleam Tue 01-Nov-16 17:44:15

Tell her she has to face her fear of other people doing things differently to her. wink

kiki22 Tue 01-Nov-16 19:30:19

gleam I'm going to do just that grin

EveOnline2016 Tue 01-Nov-16 19:35:52

Missrubyring can I suggest non latex gloves when cooking for friends/relatives . I am allergic to latex and it wouldn't accur to me to tell friends when they double check for allergies.

Other than that if you need something to handle meat, then why does a friend give a damn

WatchingFromTheWings Tue 01-Nov-16 19:40:31

I'm the same! I use utensils to move it around and if I have to hold it still to cut, I use kitchen roll. Can't stand to touch it!

maninawomansworld01 Wed 02-Nov-16 00:59:35

I guess if you were a chef or a butcher or someone who had to work with raw meat a lot then you'd probably be needing to 'face your fear' and get over it.
As your daily,
I've probably doesn't involve a lot of raw meat handling then I'm sure you have more pressing matters to attend to.
Tell your friend to mind her own business.

WombOfOnesOwn Wed 02-Nov-16 02:18:18

Give it to me, I will touch it (and, possibly, eat it).

LucyBabs Wed 02-Nov-16 02:52:05

YY wombs

Jaytee38 Wed 02-Nov-16 03:09:15

I cant stand touching raw meat particularly chicken. I have a well stocked supply if kitchen instruments that do the job for me. I thought I was the only one hmm

sashh Wed 02-Nov-16 06:29:22

I'm quite happy to chop up most meat and use my hands to stuff chicken etc but I cannot stand the feel of uncooked liver so I totally get where you are coming from - your friend has the problem not you.

westeringhome Wed 02-Nov-16 06:45:30

Butchers and meat handlers have high incidence of warts on their hands so yanbu

OzzieFem Wed 02-Nov-16 11:09:13

I was over 20 before I could cut up kidney for the cat, and 26 before I even touched raw liver. It was revolting, never again! The cats I have now eat biscuits and canned food or leftover cooked meat.

JellyBelli Wed 02-Nov-16 11:10:44

gleam grin

kiki22 Thu 03-Nov-16 09:51:35

So the reason I have to touch it is because not doing so slows down my cooking she has no reason why she cares.

I dont enjoy cooking never have anyone over to eat so it really makes no difference she only knew about this because she popped in to borrow something when I was cooking.

teenyrabbit Thu 03-Nov-16 09:57:46

You are absolutely not being unreasonable.

I can't touch it either. Gross!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now