Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask if any of you have studied criminal psychology?

(22 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Mon 31-Oct-16 23:36:53

It's something that has always fascinated me and I'm toying with the idea of taking a course in the new year. At the moment, it's more of a hobby but in the future I would love to get a job in a relevant area (although I know this might be difficult). I would probably have to do it through OU or flexible leatning as there isn't a suitable course in my area.

So, those of you who have studied it-
What course did you take?
Did you enjoy it?
Did you find relevant employment afterwards?

HughLauriesStubble Tue 01-Nov-16 14:36:49

Anyone?? grin

myheadsamess Tue 01-Nov-16 14:39:42

No I'm not currently, but are you me? I would love to study this too. Have recently started an OU course just to get used to studying etc again. Should be looking at management modules but keep getting distracted by criminology and sociology and pathology grin

SunnySomer Tue 01-Nov-16 14:44:57

My cousin did. Can't remember where (Cardiff, I think). I think she enjoyed the course, and she got a good degree, but she never found actual work related to the subject and now does something v far removed from it. I'm not sure that's the response you're looking for!

HereIAm20 Tue 01-Nov-16 15:21:47

I was going to say the same as above. Study it as a degree if its something you'd enjoy and are interested in but don't hold your breath in getting a job that directly relates to it afterwards.

Nurszilla Tue 01-Nov-16 15:33:22

I trained as an RMN, elected to do as many of my placements in secure units and upon qualifying went straight into forensics. Worked for me as meant a degree with no debts, plus hands on experience. Prior to this I also studied sociology, psychology and law at a-level.

I guess it depends whether you want a career or hobby out of it?

mouldycheesefan Tue 01-Nov-16 15:34:39

How can forensic psychology be a hobby?😳

Nurszilla Tue 01-Nov-16 15:39:03

Studying anything can be a hobby. DM has a Masters in Geneology yet works in an entirely different field, she just enjoys learning about it.

mouldycheesefan Tue 01-Nov-16 15:46:28

Ah i see what you mean, study it for a hobby.

FlyingElbows Tue 01-Nov-16 16:10:01

I'm a click away from signing up for the OU's forensic psychology degree purely because it fascinates me. I'm wary though because basic foundation psychology is as dry as fuck.

Skittlesss Tue 01-Nov-16 16:16:29

I have a degree in forensic psychology. I do not work in that field though, but have sometimes been tempted.

ExConstance Tue 01-Nov-16 16:19:33

Two friends children have studied this, one works in a bank and the other also does something unrelated. Might be useful as a Masters subject if you already have a law degree.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 01-Nov-16 16:19:53

Yes but many years ago now.

Yes I did enjoy it and I regret not going into a profession directly linked to it.

The annoying thing is you need a master's in forensic psych to be a forensic psychologist.

I love criminal psychology and have studied but be picky with your courses if you choose to do it. There are several brick unis now offering some distance learning degrees. Some of these are much better than OU.

Portsmouth do Criminology via distance learning

cherrypez Tue 01-Nov-16 16:58:57

DD is in second year of a criminology degree...she loves it, but has bugger all clue as to where it will take her!

PolterGoose Tue 01-Nov-16 17:00:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sugarlightly Tue 01-Nov-16 17:51:50

I know that, depending on the level you want to get to, further education in psychology is extremely competitive. If you're just interested in it, I'd read some books.

yorkshapudding Tue 01-Nov-16 17:55:00

I know several people who studied criminology at degree level. Only one of them is currently working in that field and he had to get a Master's in order to do so. My understanding is that it's an interesting and enjoyable course but very difficult to actually land a job in that field without extensive future study and even then it's highly competitive.

SharkBastard Tue 01-Nov-16 17:55:46

I read for a joint degree which was psychology and criminal behaviour...I've done fuck all with it, just wanted to do something that wasn't sitting on benefits till DD went to school (I was a lone parent).

Due to go on maternity next year, so may do a masters if I get bored in something psychology related.

It was an awesome course and very interesting

Temporaryname137 Tue 01-Nov-16 18:05:41

my friend did. she did a conversion course in psychology, then a masters (which I think was OU), then got onto a doctorate course after about 3 years of trying. she's now a criminal psychologist at one of the big prisons.

my understanding from her is that it's fascinating, but very gruelling, very hard work, and virtually impossible to get a job as there is so much competition for very few places. another way in is to join the police force, but you have to put in some years on the beat.

having heard her talk about it for the last 10 years, I would say go for it if it interests you, but be prepared for a very long slog if you want a job in the field. good luck smile

HughLauriesStubble Tue 01-Nov-16 20:12:04

Ooh thanks everyone some food for thought there! I would definitely be treating it as a hobby in the beginning but would love to eventually work in a job related to it. At the moment my work is in the writing field so I can always work in criminology with that anyway grin

PikachuSayBoo Tue 01-Nov-16 20:17:36

I have a criminology degree which had a lot of psychology modules.

I work in something totally unrelated.

I believe criminology degrees have the worst stats for people working in the same field after graduating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now