Talk

Advanced search

Cat food

(29 Posts)
EJsqidge91 Mon 31-Oct-16 20:46:29

So. My girls are fussy bastards. They will ONLY eat Gourmet perle/ applaws as their wet food and James well beloved dry food ( I have tried them on everything, but these are the only brands they will eat so I cater to that (yes my babies are spoilt but I won't have them starve here and then go elsewhere for food)) I have come home and DP has complained because they won't eat what he has brought for them 'butchers classic' tins. AIBU to tell him that he knows well and good that they won't eat anything other than what I described earlier in my post and to get over it? We have been together 8 years before we even got the cats (4&2) and he KNOWS what they are like, but wants to cut down expenses as we are TTC. I think he should cut down on cigarettes personally or AIBU?

SamhainSoubriquet Mon 31-Oct-16 20:49:01

Yanbu

Animals are more important than fags

My cat is just as bad. She is so fussy. And starting to off gourmet...going to have to find something else hmm

EJsqidge91 Mon 31-Oct-16 20:49:28

The big one eats most of the little ones food. And I don't want to not see this on my bed as a result of them being fed better elsewhere!

ditzychick34 Mon 31-Oct-16 20:50:47

Cut the fags for TTC and the money. My cats will eat anything but I know others who won't and there is no point wasting money on food they won't eat. Go get them the good stuff tomorrow 😃 not bu

EJsqidge91 Mon 31-Oct-16 20:54:33

I hope to god mine don't go off of their wet food Sam! Otherwise I know I will be buying them ham and frying steak for them. They are MY responsibility and I will ensure they are looked after. Xxxx

SaucyJack Mon 31-Oct-16 20:55:21

Yes and no.... premium cat food is fecking expensive.... but he's plain thick to think that they'll go from Gourmet perle sachets to tins of Butchers overnight.

DinxP Mon 31-Oct-16 21:09:05

Have you tried any websites to get the nice cat food a bit cheaper? I've ordered from www.petplanet.co.uk quite a few times and they are reliable. I've got a lovely, beautiful 6 month - he's grey and white, super cute, but he has absolutely stinky farts!! I'm used to dogs being a bit windy, but not cats - he's been like it since I got him at 8 weeks old, got him checked out at the vets and they couldn't find anything wrong so I came to the conclusion that he must just have the cat version of irritable bowl syndrome or something and I've put him on a dry food for sensitive stomachs....he smells much nicer now!!! And it's cheaper to buy online.

HermioneJeanGranger Mon 31-Oct-16 21:13:04

You're lucky that you've got a cat who eats a certain brand!

YANBU, your DP shouldn't be wasting his money on food they won't eat.

Autumnchill Mon 31-Oct-16 21:46:18

I've got one in renal failure at the moment and have to alternate his diet to kick start his appetite so last night it was roast beef, tonight cooked chicken and gourmet soup as he likes them at the moment. Last week he like Lilys, today he didn't. The week before it was Encore, doesn't like that mow! Fingers crossed he still enjoys Gourmet Pate tomorrow!

scaryteacher Mon 31-Oct-16 21:58:29

Mine seem to enjoy the Iams wet food, but not the fish ones in any brand. Mind you, as winter is evidently coming, and they don't know where their next meal is coming from(!), they are currently having three meals a day, just in case the heating breaks down, and the 10 week supply of cat food disappears!

Nanny0gg Mon 31-Oct-16 22:00:17

He should be stopping not cutting down as there may be a baby in the house soon.

And cats eat what they eat and there's nothing you can do about it.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 31-Oct-16 22:02:36

I made a rod for my own back and got mine onto Natures Menu! Thankfully he has biscuits for breakfast as I couldn't afford to feed him on NM all the time!

MycatsaPirate Mon 31-Oct-16 22:06:08

hahahahaha! Your DH is bonkers.

We have four cats.

Boy cat prefers Asda's pouches and if he's given the whiskas stuff he refuses it.

Girl cat 1 likes cat soup and whiskas in jelly

Girl cat 2 only likes dry food

Girl cat 3 likes cat soup and whiskas in jelly.

We have a cat food cupboard with three types of wet food, dreamies, cat nip, that cat yoghurt stuff and have about 20kg of dry food in the shed.

I wouldn't dream of trying to change their food throw money away on food they don't like.

Tell your DH to start vaping and stop being so ridiculous.

p.s If he thinks the cats are fussy, wait until he has a toddler in the house and he has made the 'wrong' toast. FFS.

ghostyslovesheets Mon 31-Oct-16 22:08:58

I would say YABU BUT I have 5 - 4 will eat any dry food

1 (tabby/oriental fuck nugget of the highest order) will ONLY eat wet food - nothing else no matter how I serve is (in gravy, mixed in wet food etc etc)

he needs 3 meals a day and he lets you KNOW it - the others just have topped up bowls

but I love the fury little twat!

ghostyslovesheets Mon 31-Oct-16 22:10:47

this is his FOOOOOODNOWHUMANSERVANT face

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 31-Oct-16 22:11:01

To be fair to EJ's DP, Butchers Classic is one of the bettter supermarket brands as it's grain free.

I noticed that your cat eats James Wellbeloved dry OP. That's what mine eats and I've found the cheapest place to get it is Fetch, online.

Thecatsmum Mon 31-Oct-16 22:13:10

Since Sheba decided to discontinue some ranges and rejig others I've had a very upset cat. I'm currently trying every cat food available and have a large amount of cat food waiting to be dropped off at the shelter.
I feel everyone with a fussy felines pain.

altiara Mon 31-Oct-16 22:18:21

Get a dog! My cat now eats the beef flavour as good as it looks felix because she can't saunter in and demand new food when she feels like it anymore! If she doesn't eat it, someone else will!!
(Not 100% sure that I'm being helpful, but dog is better than fags, you can save money by feeding him the cat food and smelly dog smells better than fags and is happy to see you unlike cats unless they're hungry)

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 31-Oct-16 22:19:21

I'll be taking a trip to Battersea at the weekend as I've got a stash of senior food my senior cat refuses to eat! To be fair I don't blame him as they only make one flavour and I think he wants to hang on to his youth!

JaceLancs Mon 31-Oct-16 22:25:06

My cats will only eat fish in jelly but they are not fussy about the brand

lljkk Mon 31-Oct-16 22:35:06

Do you really think your wanna be cat thief neighbours will be working exhaustively to buy only the same posh foods that you find are only possibles? confused

I have one that will ONLY eat dry or Butchers classic right now, but little bastard has had blood in litter box so I want him on wet not dry, and I also want him to at least eat better quality Bozita. Am working on it...

lljkk Mon 31-Oct-16 22:36:15

PS: CPL will take unwanted Butchers cans, at least.

pigsDOfly Mon 31-Oct-16 22:42:15

LTB if he's bringing home inferior cat food. What the hell is he thinking, doesn't he know anything?

I used to have two spoiled, brother and sister, moggies, - now sadly no longer with us - and when the recipe of their favourite food was changed the male decided it was all too traumatic for him and refused to eat the new recipe or anything else.

In desperation, I ended up ringing the customer help line of the manufactures of the food to find out if they made anything that might taste similar to the old recipe, which fortunately they did, and eventually he deigned to lower his standards and try a little of it.

Took a lot of persuasion on my part to convince him and he sulked for days but I think he began to realise it was either eat the new food or die; he was stubborn, but not that stubborn.

You know you're just going to have to give in in the end.

TrickyD Mon 31-Oct-16 22:42:52

Ours tells us he loves something so we buy lots of it, then he decides he hates it and won't touch it and looks pathetic. Why do cats do this?

RagamuffinAndFidget Mon 31-Oct-16 22:45:54

I had a cat growing up who refused ALL cat food. Literally would not touch anything that came in a box/tin with a picture of a cat on. Even if we hid the packets he KNEW. He just used to eat whatever we were having for dinner, even the veg!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now