Talk

Advanced search

To think my landlord is well and truly out of order and how do I deal with this?

(75 Posts)
HickDead Mon 31-Oct-16 17:07:17

We rent a house from an older couple. We've rented from them for 5 years and they are OK but very penny pinching. About 4 years ago the washer broke and whilst they were moving the old one out and plumbing the new one in, they managed to rip the Lino in the kitchen. It was a total trip hazard and when I complained, he stuck it down with tape. We also had a leak (not our fault, the result of his DIY efforts) which went under the Lino and caused a black stain.

I have been asking for new flooring for nearly 4 years now after being quite frankly embarrassed at the state of the place and finally he has decided to tile the kitchen, utility room and downstairs bathroom. We told him we were going on holiday this week and he could have access from Monday to Thursday to redo the floors. We are back on Friday.

On Wednesday last week he contacted DH to say that he was doing the work himself and that wasn't enough time, could we vacate on Saturday instead. We have 3 DC and this is a big ask but arranged to stay with relatives from Saturday afternoon until we fly off on our break tonight. I grabbed enough for the weekend with the intention of returning today to pack our bags.

We returned this morning and could not get in as they had the key in the back of the door. When they eventually answered and we went in it became obvious that they had been staying in the house all weekend (sleeping bags, a bag of clothes and food belonging to them and they had the TV on and we're watching our Sky TV!). They also had their bloody dog with them! Our tenancy agreement expressly states that we are not allowed fucking pets!

They did not ask us permission for any of this. I am so upset, I feel violated, that is our home and all our belongings are there. I can't really express how bloody angry I'm feeling right now. I had a bit of a cry as I just felt really vulnerable and frustrated.

Anyway I want to email them (don't trust myself to ring them) and point out that they have crossed the line and how offended I feel. DH thinks I should stay quiet in case I rock the boat and they gives notice to leave. What do you all think?

Happymumof3tob Mon 31-Oct-16 17:22:12

Yanbu. Do you have an estate agent that you rented through? The landlord has to reasonably maintain the property and can not enter he house without your permission. However. You did say they are elderly....and do they live far away? They could have asked you before.... but anyway. If you have an estate agent i would explain the situation to them

HickDead Mon 31-Oct-16 17:30:18

No it's not through an agent unfortunately. We deal with them directly, they did rent the house through a management company years ago but told DH that they thought their fees were extortionate and could do it themselves!

PersianCatLady Mon 31-Oct-16 17:47:21

The washer broke and whilst they were moving the old one out and plumbing the new one in, they managed to rip the Lino in the kitchen
Things like this are reasons why a lot of LLs no longer provide appliances in rented properties.

If the washing machine had been yours and you had ripped the lino when you were putting your new one in you would have been responsible for repairing the damage.

HickDead Mon 31-Oct-16 17:50:40

We wanted to put our own washer in as I'd like a one more geared to a family but they insist on having their white goods in the house, not sure why. We asked last year if we could replace theirs with a new one which had a 9kg capacity but they said no!

YelloDraw Mon 31-Oct-16 17:51:10

That is well out of order OP and seriously fucking intrusive.

Trifleorbust Mon 31-Oct-16 17:52:29

It wouldn't bother me in the least to have them watching the TV (what difference would that make to me?) or having their dog with them (just because my LL doesn't want me to have a pet, that doesn't mean he can't bring his). Sleeping there is different - I am surprised they didn't ask whether that would be okay.

53rdAndBird Mon 31-Oct-16 17:52:34

PersianCatLady, do you really think that's the most relevant thing about this situation? hmm

OP, I'd be bloody furious too. Is moving something you'd consider at all? I think knowing that they were prepared to do that would make me very reluctant to stay renting from them, however nice the house. (And I have had LLs do similar before - it's a horrible horrible feeling.)

YelloDraw Mon 31-Oct-16 17:53:10

You did say they are elderly....and do they live far away? They could have asked you before.... but anyway.

Elderly? Give a shit. Being elderly doesn't absolve you of the responsibilities of behaving like a tight fisted twat. Who the fuck thinks it's ok to sleep in a property someone else is paying for whilst they are on holiday? If they can't afford to be landlords they should sell.

PersianCatLady Mon 31-Oct-16 17:54:22

Our tenancy agreement expressly states that we are not allowed fucking pets!
This part absolutely takes the piss.

For all they know one of your kids could be severely allergic to animal fur and you usually do everything you can to avoid it!!

As for sleeping in your house I suspect that they have done it either because they live a long way away or because it makes it easier for them to get the work done.

But either way they should have asked!!

lalalalyra Mon 31-Oct-16 17:56:51

Sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags wouldn't bother me if it was because they were working long days to get the job done.

However, having their dog there is utterly unreasonable. I'd be massively pissed off at that.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 31-Oct-16 17:56:54

Totally out of order bringing their dog.
Any member of your family could have a dog allw

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 31-Oct-16 17:57:22

dog allergy

PersianCatLady Mon 31-Oct-16 17:57:24

PersianCatLady, do you really think that's the most relevant thing about this situation?
No I accidentally pressed enter on my way to answer the door to the trick and treaters.

Please see my other post for the rest of my opinion.

But regardless of how important what I said was, I do still have the right to make a comment.

Minesril Mon 31-Oct-16 17:57:39

Leave. Insist on being there when they show round prospective new tenants. Tell every one what assholes they are.

Chikara Mon 31-Oct-16 17:59:09

This is outrageous. Poor you OP. I would also feel absolutely violated. They have no right to do this.

I am not sure what I would do in your situation to be honest. Maybe think about moving - easier said than done of course.

I think they should certainly refund the rent for the week that you were away as THEY were living in the property. But again - easier said than done. flowers

I think from now on I would not allow access unless supervised, (if at all possible). The fact that they are elderly is neither here nor there.

SaucyJack Mon 31-Oct-16 18:00:14

Bang out of order :-(

And that does include the dog thing. Fleas for starters. Shit in the garden....

expatinscotland Mon 31-Oct-16 18:01:19

'If the washing machine had been yours and you had ripped the lino when you were putting your new one in you would have been responsible for repairing the damage.'

But it's not and they're not responsible for the damage hmm

They are completely out of order! I think an email is well in order.

HicDraconis Mon 31-Oct-16 18:06:20

Given that they have lived in your house for a week, I would be asking for a 25% refund on that month's rent. Completely unacceptable for them to treat your home as theirs - you pay for it to be yours. Which means you get to decide who sleeps and eats there.

ComfortingKormaBalls Mon 31-Oct-16 18:08:14

I would write them a strongly worded email re intrusion etc, then leave it at that. You are reliable tenants who have been there five years so I doubt they will want the hassle of giving you notice and having to find new tenants who may cause problems.

DeleteOrDecay Mon 31-Oct-16 18:15:18

Totally out of order. The pet thing is outrageous. For all they know one of you could be severely allergic to dogs.

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation op but YANBU. Moving would be a serious consideration for me.

mum2Bomg Mon 31-Oct-16 18:18:07

Omg did you say anything? I'd have lost it!!

expatinscotland Mon 31-Oct-16 18:21:40

They also ran your leccy and gas more by staying there.

APlaceOnTheCouch Mon 31-Oct-16 18:23:50

Did you ask them why they were there and how long they had been there? I would want to be clear of the facts before I emailed a complaint.
The worse case scenario is that they did plan to stay there all week with their dog. The best case scenario is that they had sleeping bags so they could work long hours to finish the job in the agreed timescale, and that the partner and dog had popped in to see them.
I wouldn't be surprised that they had food or clothes with them. It's quite common for people working on a job to change into work clothes and then back out of them again to keep any mess contained. It's also common for them to eat.

Manumission Mon 31-Oct-16 18:26:25

Sadly your DH is probably wise to consider potential comebacks.

But they are undoubtedly taking the piss.

Do you want a dog? Now might be the time to negotiate permission.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now