Talk

Advanced search

Boots advantage card

(53 Posts)
GipsyDanger Mon 31-Oct-16 16:15:15

I've recently been shopping in boots for the past few months due to ds (handy for bits and bobs all in the one place) and had raked up an impressive £4 to spend in the advantage points thing. So I have about £15 worth of assorted stuff and hand over my card to use the points then debit card for the rest. The boots assistant says the transaction has to be the same value or less. So only about £2 odd of my goods went on the rewards card. AIBU That this is a really stupid and awkward way to go about things. Thanks boots, I'll be sure to use my awesome points when I need a stick of gum angry

Nanasueathome Mon 31-Oct-16 16:16:35

It has always been that way in Boots

Aliveinwanderland Mon 31-Oct-16 16:18:05

Boots has always worked in this way. They don't do part payment for goods in points and cash.

Surely with £4 worth of points there will be things you end up using them on if you are desperate to use them?

You can't really moan about a loyalty card system! It's a perk, they don't have to offer it!

I save my points up until I have £20 odd and then treat myself to a nice make up item. Or sometimes if I'm buying something small I just pay with points to save getting my bank are out.

thecolonelbumminganugget Mon 31-Oct-16 16:22:14

I used to work on the advantage card helpline and logic behind it is that you collect points to save up and treat yourself to an item rather than it being used as a discount card.

Sheld0n Mon 31-Oct-16 16:23:03

Superdrug let you use points as part-payment with their loyalty card. I usually go there instead as I can get most of the products I would have went to Boots for, for less.

OlennasWimple Mon 31-Oct-16 16:25:10

Boots is one of the most generous loyalty cards out there

Manumission Mon 31-Oct-16 16:25:36

No it's great.

TBH you're doing something wrong if £4 worth of points seems impressive to you.

I always until I get £30 or £50 worth and then spend it on myself. So maybe twice a year. And I don't even have babies any more grin

mateysmum Mon 31-Oct-16 16:25:38

Boots is consistently the most generous loyalty card on the high streeet and always has been. I buy contact lense fluids and No7 skincare and can easily rack up £10 worth of points.
The tech system is not and never has been set up to do a part payment option. Remember the average transaction value in Boots is a fraction of that in a supermarket. It's just the way it is. The points don't expire and there are often extra points offers. So YABU to whinge.

Jellybean83 Mon 31-Oct-16 16:28:31

Boots have always worked like this, I save mine up all year and then buy myself something at Christmas, I currently have £86 on mine.

VixenLupin Mon 31-Oct-16 16:30:22

I used to save them up and use them to buy Christmas presents, especially in the 3 for 2 stuff.

That was when I had babies and used to spend a fortune in there every week. Now I rarely go and don't even have my advantage card in my purse anymore.

It's not like I wear make up so can treat myself. Maybe I should use it and buy drugs.

RockyBird Mon 31-Oct-16 16:30:40

When it first came out I saved up £120 of points quite easily using extra points vouchers and treated myself to a bath spa.

Nowadays I don't really bother as I get most toiletries from the supermarket.

The most I save up for is the odd mascara or foundation. Happy with that.

Boots does seem to be more expensive than Superdrug or supermarkets though.

Chanel lip glosses are my go to pressie for when I've run out of ideas for friends/female relatives and I find the Chanel staff at my local boots extremely helpful.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 31-Oct-16 16:31:41

I always spend mine on a free lunch when out shopping, you don't need many points for a meal deal smile
Not as annoying as nectar where you can only spend them in your local sainsburys. We'd saved up £60 and were going to do our holiday food shop while we were away, but you can't use them in every store, just your local.

hopeful31yrs Mon 31-Oct-16 16:34:43

Agree - boots card is fantastic and you can get 3 for 2 with the points also. We tend to buy wisely from there all year with regards to our cosmetics (bulk buying out wipes/toiletries on 3 for 2) and then as others say use the points either in December or January to offset the cost of Christmas. Occasionally DH will buy lunch or something small but generally we always have a good amount of points to use.

AdoraBell Mon 31-Oct-16 16:35:47

Yep, always worked that way.

LivingInMidnight Mon 31-Oct-16 16:36:00

Boots are really generous with the points, I've got no complaints. Had £95 on there until last week when I bought some beauty advent calendars. I only shop there about 6 times a year too. Doesn't bother me that they don't allow part purchase.

GipsyDanger Mon 31-Oct-16 16:36:14

It just struck me as really odd. But, do like the idea of saving up for a once a year blitz 🤔

Greyponcho Mon 31-Oct-16 16:37:31

It has always been that way... they're a 'bonus' making up for the fact they overcharge on most of their merchandise

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 31-Oct-16 16:38:16

I always think it's a bit risky to leave a lot of money on the Boots card because if you lose it, someone else can pick it up and spend it all. They don't check ID or anything and the helpline won't reimburse it.
I am that idiot that always loses things though grin

Manumission Mon 31-Oct-16 16:39:01

Not as annoying as nectar where you can only spend them in your local sainsburys. We'd saved up £60 and were going to do our holiday food shop while we were away, but you can't use them in every store, just your local.

That rule really annoyed me. So pointless and mean.

I've largely abandoned Sainsbury's for Waitrose now and that was one of the reasons. Their sudden receipt given for returns/exchanges was another.

Manumission Mon 31-Oct-16 16:39:30

Sudden receipt facism

Jellybean83 Mon 31-Oct-16 16:40:20

Always take advantage of the double points vouchers, download the app as well because you can load offers of extra points onto your card.

Sometimes You can use the vouchers and the app at the same time, so your double points voucher will scan and your '5000 worth of points for every £50 spent' will also load onto your card..... my lovely Clarins saleswoman taught my that wee trick.

soloula Mon 31-Oct-16 16:42:52

I love my boots points. I save them up through the year and get loads of extra points through the app and my coupons through the post, take advantage of 3 for 2s and the £5 off No7 vouchers. I have about £80 there just now and will have more after my Christmas shopping to treat myself to some nice bits in their January sales.

My only annoyance is when I have a load of shopping and have to split it up into different bundles and pay separately when using my coupons. I know lots of shops are like this and you can only use one voucher but I've held up plenty of queues and been held up plenty of times myself with a basket of goods being split into umpteen individual transactions to get the best value out of the points offers. Sometimes it makes my head hurt trying to work it all out confused

soloula Mon 31-Oct-16 16:44:09

Sometimes You can use the vouchers and the app at the same time, so your double points voucher will scan and your '5000 worth of points for every £50 spent' will also load onto your card..... my lovely Clarins saleswoman taught my that wee trick.

Ooh so trying this next time - thank you! grin

ExcuseMyEyebrows Mon 31-Oct-16 16:46:19

I don't shop in Boots much, mostly at Christmas, but I always carry my advantage card with me as it's also my organ donation card. Details here

TSSDNCOP Mon 31-Oct-16 16:51:28

I heart my Boots advantage card. It doesn't take much to rack the points for a lovely lipstick or mascara.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now