Talk

Advanced search

To think the trans trend is very damaging? ***title edited by MNHQ***

(602 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

FranticalFidget Mon 31-Oct-16 10:07:30

And everyone is just too scared of looking like a bigot to admit it?

Young children 'transitioning' is completely batshit.

Why are people saying that a boy must be a girl because he likes pink and sparkles.

More importantly why are people telling the boy that?

We don't have 'lady' and 'man' brains!!! Gender doesn't control what we like.

A man cannot be a woman and vice versa.

It's fact. Not evil or cruel but FACT.

My toddler want to be a pony. Genuinely has wanted to for over a year.

However not going to tell her that means she is in the wrong body and start the tail transplants because that would be insane.

Because she can no more be a pony than she could be a man.

She can however like football and blue and whatever the duck she wants whilst still being herself.

Please tell me I'm not the only sane one left.

FranticalFidget Mon 31-Oct-16 10:08:57

Also all these 'therapists' and centres popping up.

It strikes me that a lot of people are making a lot of money out of vulnerable, confused and suggestible people.

It's going to be the new 'slimming' industry.

Abraiid2 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:10:40

I find it worrying and suspect that people with genuine transitioning concerns are not being helped by a lot of the media storm caused by those whose issues are transitory, developmental or invented.

Amalfimamma Mon 31-Oct-16 10:10:45

It's like giving an anorexic liposuction IMO.

BillSykesDog Mon 31-Oct-16 10:11:25

YANBU

pointythings Mon 31-Oct-16 10:13:06

I think your view is simplistic. You are in effect saying that transgender people do not exist, and that is bollocks. I agree there is something of a hype about it, but we need to avoid a situation where we have a backlash so bad that people with real gender dysphoria feel they csnnot talk about it or access support. It is a genuine condition and you are trivialising it by comparing it to your toddler wanting to be a pony. That alone means YABVU.

SamhainSoubriquet Mon 31-Oct-16 10:14:04

It's the new bisexual

Everyone is doing it and it's damaging the few who are true bisexual

cinnamonswirler Mon 31-Oct-16 10:14:36

As a parent of a transgender child, I would ask if your dc tried to take their own life rather than live without the pony tail, would you then consider the transplants? It's very shaming of you to judge until you find yourself faced with a dead child or a child of the opposite gender.

Shame on you

YABVVU

ToShelAndBack Mon 31-Oct-16 10:15:38

You must have a great deal of personal experience with trans individuals to be able to render that opinion. Can you expound on that?

happyoldtown Mon 31-Oct-16 10:15:48

Yanbu at all. It should be treated like all mental illness. Allowing a mentally ill person to multilate their body is an awful thing to do.

Giratina Mon 31-Oct-16 10:16:34

I think it's gone too far. I have every sympathy for an adult who genuinely feels they are in the wrong body and have been for years, I don't think children/teens who are still dealing with finding their own identity and puberty etc should be encouraged to make any physical changes. And I think all the non-binary, gender fluid stuff is attention seeking bollocks.

FranticalFidget Mon 31-Oct-16 10:17:58

Thank God for that.

I have had a friend cut off contact with me because I was shocked that she was encouraging her five year old to 'transition'.

Others in the group have stopped talking to me because apparently this makes me intolerant and they feel bad for my children hmm

This poor boy is being told that because he likes pink, Barbies and sparkly things this means he is a girl.

My (ex) friend has even gone so far as to call helplines and talk to 'professionals' who are collaborating in this madness!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one left! I think a lot if people think it's crazy but are scared to admit it?

BowieFan Mon 31-Oct-16 10:18:38

YABVU, but you know that.

BarbarianMum Mon 31-Oct-16 10:18:51

I find it worrying that so many people in this debate just know what's right for others - what they feel, what they are, what they should do about it.

It really reminds me of how homosexuality was once discussed - you're not/it's just a phase/it's disgusting/you're mentally ill/we can cure you/it's a reflection on society/just pray more and you won't feel like this.

Seems like those this affects got lost somewhere along the way and now we are all falling over ourselves to tell them how to be to fit in with our own ideology, be it feminist/religious/transactivist etc etc

FranticalFidget Mon 31-Oct-16 10:22:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SamhainSoubriquet Mon 31-Oct-16 10:23:01

I do think it's abusive to small children to do this

It is potentially damaging their mental health for life and if the parents go through with transitioning, it's damaging their body.

FlapsTie Mon 31-Oct-16 10:23:41

I think we will look back in this in years to come in the way we look at lobotomies, or drilling holes in skulls to let the demons out.

I agree with the idea that it's like giving anorexics liposuction. Or amputating the legs of somene who identifies as disabled.

It's the only mental illness I know of where we routinely mutilate people's functioning bodies to bring them in line with their distorted image. I would also count extreme plastic surgery in that as well, it's all body dysmorphia and should be treated with therapy.

cinnamonswirler Mon 31-Oct-16 10:23:42

Your opinions get better! You should have been born in the50s

FlapsTie Mon 31-Oct-16 10:25:07

And the trans = homosexual argument is ridiculous. You don't have to take hormones or have surgery if you're gay. It's your natural state of being.

Just because we CAN alter people's bodies and body chemicals, doesn't mean we should.

Temporaryname137 Mon 31-Oct-16 10:25:17

I think it's very complicated. My cousin was born a girl, got horrifically bullied, went through a period of anorexia and self-harming, then piled on tonnes of weight, wants to be a boy, calls himself a man, dresses like a man - now has a boyfriend who is a straight man. I have no idea how to begin to understand how that works!

I do agree that it seems to be the new "cool" thing, and that is a real problem for genuinely trans people.

I am also very worried about the inevitable erosion on women's rights/safe spaces etc. Do I feel for people like my cousin? Yes. Do I feel more worried about the risk that my little girl could be exposed to perverts "identifying" as women in public toilets etc, or that female athletes can face unfair competition, or stories like the rapist who now identifies as a woman so wants to be in a women's prison? Sorry, but yes, I must admit that I do feel more worried about that side of things.

FlapsTie Mon 31-Oct-16 10:27:06

The sooner we arrive at a society where it doesn't matter what sex you are, you can present as and dress as and enjoy whatever the fuck you like, the better.

Gender is bollocks. Biological sex is an unchageable fact.

JellyBelli Mon 31-Oct-16 10:27:23

YANBU. Its body dysphoria.
It makes me think of Munchausen by Proxy.

TheHiphopopotamus Mon 31-Oct-16 10:28:53

I agree OP. Who knew that in the 21st century, vagina envy would be a 'thing'?

I don't understand how people can think that chopping off your tackle (if it even gets that far) will somehow magically make you a woman. It doesn't. And the idea that a born male can legally declare themselves a woman (in some countries going so far as to change their birth certificate) is absolutely fucking insane.

corythatwas Mon 31-Oct-16 10:30:32

While I understand your concerns about mutilation etc, Frantic, "it is just a mental illness" is what was said about homosexuality for a very long time- and is still being said in some parts of the world. I have Christian friends who believe exactly that about homosexuality. I am old enough to remember when that was a common take on homosexuality.

I think caution is the way to go. It may well be that something is a symptom of mental illness in some people and not in others. We don't really know enough at the moment. There are very good reasons for being cautious with anything that involves surgery and serious alterations of the human body: we do not have the knowledge to evaluate the longterm physical and emotional risks; that should lead to caution.

But surely we can have caution without categorically stating that every single person who experiences life in a certain way is mentally ill?

FranticalFidget Mon 31-Oct-16 10:32:06

*The sooner we arrive at a society where it doesn't matter what sex you are, you can present as and dress as and enjoy whatever the fuck you like, the better.

Gender is bollocks. Biological sex is an unchageable fact.*

Exactly!

And that opinion apparently is old fashioned and bigoted now hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now