AIBU to take my son to the walk-in centre tomorrow?

(17 Posts)
BowieFan Sun 30-Oct-16 20:38:03

Basically, I was trimming DS1's hair before him, scissors brushed his ear and he writhed in pain. When I had a look, all of his ear was inflamed and red. He said it had been stinging all day, but that he can ear fine.

It's the bit of the ear on the outside where the skin sort of folds over. It doesn't seem to have any wounds or anything but looks very tender and swollen. AIBU to keep him off tomorrow and take him to the walk-in centre?

ditzychick34 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:39:53

Not unreasonable, take him in - worst case is a day off school

BigPointyStick Sun 30-Oct-16 20:42:29

You'd be unreasonable not to.

Bagina Sun 30-Oct-16 20:42:30

Not unless he's in agony. I'd use antiseptic and see what's there in the morning. Paracetamol and see a pharmacist.

NickNacks Sun 30-Oct-16 20:43:33

Why not just make a GP appointment?

nixinoo Sun 30-Oct-16 20:43:46

Take him. He can always go into school later.

wwyd123 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:44:46

I would take him after school if it's still swollen then, if he didn't mention it all day it can't be bothering him much.

BusStopBetty Sun 30-Oct-16 20:46:32

Dc gets a sore ear sometimes. GP said it's eczema and prescribed hydrocortisone cream, but you can buy it over the counter. Maybe have a word with the pharmacist and see what they suggest (we did, but they insisted GP had to prescribe due to age of child at the time).

Orchidflower1 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:47:28

I'd second some tcp / germoline and see what it's like in the morning. Have u any piriton- could it be a bite? Does he have a fever? If no fever I'd see pharmacist or doc if it's no better.

user1472419718 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:47:59

Could it be otitis externa aka Swimmer's ear?http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/otitis-externa/Pages/Introduction.aspx

If he is still in pain in the morning, take him to the walk in.

user1472419718 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:48:26

Could it be otitis externa aka Swimmer's ear?http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/otitis-externa/Pages/Introduction.aspx

If he is still in pain in the morning, take him to the walk in.

neonrainbow Sun 30-Oct-16 21:36:27

Why not just make a gp appointment in the morning? In my view walk in is one step down from a&e. You could even just see a pharmacist. This is not something to clog up the walk in centre for.

intheknickersoftime Sun 30-Oct-16 21:40:50

Make a routine GP appointment, go and see pharmacist and take it from there. Monday mornings are really difficult to get in to see a gp. It doesn't sound especially urgent.

BowieFan Sun 30-Oct-16 22:32:10

I'd make him a GP appointment but our surgery doesn't start taking phone calls until 11. I'll take him to walk-in, because I've been before and it's not usually that busy.

The reason I want to take him is he has had problems with his ears before - he had grommets in when he was about 6 and had some adenoids taken out a few years ago. It's just the fact that his ear was fine yesterday and it's flared up suddenly that worries me.

I've put some sudocrem on it for the time being, which might help a little bit.

BeALert Mon 31-Oct-16 00:32:21

I would take him. That's based on my own experience of repeatedly ignoring this sort of thing and it turning out to be very sore and horrid.

Bugsylugs Mon 31-Oct-16 00:36:50

Do you mean the bit some people pierce ie where the cartilage is? If so he needs to be seen.

BoopTheSnoot Mon 31-Oct-16 00:37:11

Definitely take him. I once had an ear infection that flared up overnight and caused swelling outside my ear. By the time I got it looked at a couple of days later I was in agony.
Best not to chance it, and he can always go to school afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now