Talk

Advanced search

To want to punch my neighbour!?!?

(58 Posts)
FruitCider Sun 30-Oct-16 19:14:11

Obviously I wouldn't... but I'm sat here so angry!

Back story....
I live in a block of flats, each communal hallway leads to 6 flats, 2 on each floor.

The household across from us was previously a working couple, were lovely, very respectful and quiet. They sold up a year ago, and the property was empty until 2 weeks ago.

A lady and her 13 year old granddaughter moved in, they are privately renting from what I gather. They are VERY NOISY. Nearly every evening when my 4 year old child is going to go to bed they have had a stream of visitors in and out, shouting and shrieking in the hall way and in their flat, banging, crashing etc.

The noise has been so bad I have had to go in the hall way/knock on their door and ask them to be quiet 6 times in 2 weeks. My child is exhausted. Their usual bedtime is 6pm, it's now gone 7 and the neighbours are showing no sign of being quiet any time soon. They have slammed the front door 5 times in the last 20 minutes! My child is miserable, crying all day at nursery. She is now frightened to go to sleep because of the noise.

Today I have come home to find my front door covered in hundreds of stickers. One with a symbol on it that says "adigas" over my door number, the rest of the door is covered from top to bottom.

My child's bedroom is right next to the hallway, we cannot swap the bedrooms around as the box room is too small to even fit a full length bed in there.

It's taking all of my willpower to stop myself from banging on my neighbours door and telling them to shut the fuck up! Would it be unreasonable for me to swear at her? And what the hell do I do about my child getting some sleep?!?!? confused

I'm dreading it when I have to do nights. I could cry at the thought!

NavyandWhite Sun 30-Oct-16 19:18:33

Oh you poor thing. Sounds very hard.
Complain to environmental health? Start a diary and log everything down.

FruitCider Sun 30-Oct-16 19:21:16

I moved here 6 years ago due to horrific noise nuisance. Local environmental health not interested in day time noise unless it's the use of power tools or extremely loud music. Both of which I had previously 24 hours a day! I think I'm slightly on edge because of my bad experience before...

NavyandWhite Sun 30-Oct-16 19:25:22

Ok well it's understandable why you're feeling sensitive due to previous noise nuisance.

There must be something you can do? What about citizens advice? Or maybe even 101?

Hopefully someone with knowledge of this will come along soon with advice for you. In the meantime deep breaths brew cake

Cherryskypie Sun 30-Oct-16 19:26:48

Find out who they rent from. Report them every single time.

FruitCider Sun 30-Oct-16 19:28:07

They rent privately, I'm HA, I don't think there is anyway I can find out who their landlord is? Last time my neighbour was also HA so I just rang my housing officer... and rang and rang and rang!

Cherryskypie Sun 30-Oct-16 19:29:20

Send pictures of your door too.

DoYouRememberJustinBobby Sun 30-Oct-16 19:29:47

So they've vandalised your property? I'm not usually one to say call the cops at the drop of the hat but it might be worth speaking to a PSCO about that.
I feel for you, there is nothing worse that feeling intimidated or unable to rest in your own home, it is one of the main reasons we moved a few years ago.

nat73 Sun 30-Oct-16 19:31:33

try to contact their landlord if you can. Surely there is a way to find out who owns the flat? Land Registry?

HaveNoSocks Sun 30-Oct-16 19:31:47

How awful, could you try and contact the landlord they're renting from perhaps they could install some insulation?

Cherryskypie Sun 30-Oct-16 19:32:10

Talk to your HA. They should be able to find out. Flats are generally leasehold so even though it's privately owned they still have to keep to their lease conditions.

Eevee77 Sun 30-Oct-16 19:32:41

Hmm do you have any idea if it was let through an agency? Any signs up recently? Or could you look at the address on right move and see if that gives you any clues?

Jammiedodgers Sun 30-Oct-16 19:34:31

I think unfortunately there isn't much you can do unless you are able to talk to their LL. If the noise isn't after 11 there's nothing you can really do as it isn't considered unreasonable given its only 7 or so in the evening and even if they are quite noisy. Hope they quiet down soon OP flowers

Batteriesallgone Sun 30-Oct-16 19:34:52

I would go the landlord angle. Not sure how you would find out who they rent from - you could contact the management company and say you are experiencing disturbances, understand it's rented, will they ask the landlord to share contact details? The landlord would (hopefully) be grateful to hear from a sensible neighbour. Are any of the visitors staying over do you think? Landlord likely to be very interested if they are having lots of house guests.

FruitCider Sun 30-Oct-16 19:37:25

I've just done a search and I think I've found the estate agent that either sold or let the flat. I guess I should ring them tomorrow during my lunch break and find out if they let the property!

Also to the poster that mentioned about the lease, you are absolutely right, so my landlord should be able to help as they manage the lease. Thanks for the suggestion!

The daft thing is I'm priority band to move, but I've been 3rd on properties since May, there is 1 band above me and I always get outbid. I wish that could be a solution, but it's looking unlikely!

Cherryskypie Sun 30-Oct-16 19:39:15

I hope they sort themselves out.

Glastonbury Sun 30-Oct-16 19:39:24

You can't expect people to be quiet at 6pm every day. If it was 9pm then by all means complain.

Cherryskypie Sun 30-Oct-16 19:42:57

'They have slammed the front door 5 times in the last 20 minutes'

It's not ok to make excessive noise when you live in a flat. That's excessive.

Jammiedodgers Sun 30-Oct-16 19:43:00

What glastonbury said

Dizzywizz Sun 30-Oct-16 19:43:35

Speak to the overall landlord/managing agent...I work in rentals and we get calls from the overall agent about one of our tenants every so often.

MyschoolMyrules Sun 30-Oct-16 19:47:19

Have you tried white noise for your dd? You can download an app for free and makes noises similar to hairdryer, Hoover etc. It may cover other noises and help her sleep better . I know it's not a solution for your issues but it makes might help a bit.

FruitCider Sun 30-Oct-16 19:47:38

I'm not expected silence. I'm just not expecting her 13 year old granddaughter to be screaming and shouting in the hall way, covering my door in hundreds of stickers, and to not slam the door 5 times in 20 minutes! My neighbour below me sometimes does DIY at this time of night, which I'm fine with. What I'm NOT fine with is persistent noise nuisance which has not resolved after speaking with my neighbour 6 times in a fortnight!

Freco010 Sun 30-Oct-16 19:48:03

Could you try a noise machine for your dc? When my youngest was born my DS struggled with being woken several times in the night by the baby. Still uses it now nearly 3 years on......you can download apps on your phone.

FruitCider Sun 30-Oct-16 19:49:19

White noise may be a good temporary solution, I'll give that a go being as my child is STILL AWAKE.

BigPointyStick Sun 30-Oct-16 19:50:52

Call the local police, covering your door with stickers sort of behaviour needs nipping in the bud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now