Talk

Advanced search

To throw out the contents of my house and start again because of threadworm!?

(25 Posts)
thescarftwins Sun 30-Oct-16 17:33:11

Please help! Threadworm is back in our house and it's the 7th time my DD (3) has had it. As I prepare to go on another house blitz, is there anything we aren't doing? We have tried -
Disinfecting all bedding/towels etc
Deep clean carpet
Short nails
Scrubbing nails and hands after toilet
Washing all soft toys in dettol washing liquid
Last time we put MAVALA STOP on her nails to discourage her putting her nails/fingers in her mouth.
We are just at a loss! The little buggers make me feel so peaky! Just about ready to skip entire contents of the house and get to IKEA and start again (PAHAHAHAH if only!)

Please help - at wits end! Dr will only give OVEX!

Thank you! smile

thescarftwins Sun 30-Oct-16 17:34:44

PS I'm sure there are loads of threads (confused) already about this - but I use the app on my phone and it won't let me search for them!

THANK YOU!

WipsGlitter Sun 30-Oct-16 17:39:59

If they're getting them at school then there's not a lot you can do presumably.

marzipananimal Sun 30-Oct-16 17:47:09

Wear pants to bed and remove carefully in the morning so as not to scatter eggs, wash hands and bottom first thing in the morning, wash hands when arriving home after school/nursery. Good luck!

JenBehavingBadly Sun 30-Oct-16 17:53:59

They get them from nursery as well as from other places outside the home so you could disinfect the whole house and they can still get them from outside.

Regular worming of everyone in the house, regular washing of bed clothes and towels and making sure your toothbrushes are nowhere near the loo can help, as can careful hand and nail washing and wearing knickers or undies to bed.

I call them bum-nits. They are an utter PITA part of childhood it seems, but it gets better as they get better at washing their hands etc.

pklme Sun 30-Oct-16 18:06:21

Some people just seem to be less resistant to them. It will get better, but no point changing your entire house because she will pick them up again.

thescarftwins Sun 30-Oct-16 19:37:32

Thank you! Oh it's just rank - just looked one of the buggers in the face and considering just burning the house down, never mind refurnishing!

Oh the scattering of eggs. Boak!

Oh, so are they actually like nits? If one person isn't treated then they'll just keep reappearing? Oh poor bairn, she's miserable with it. DS seems footloose and worm free for now confusedgrin

NannyR Sun 30-Oct-16 19:44:49

If one child has them at nursery, it's highly likely others will too and if all the infected children haven't been treated re-infection is going to happen no matter how careful you are at home.
I would just keep reinforcing to her how important handwashing is and show her how to use a nail brush, wear undies in bed and change pjs daily and a bath or shower in the morning.

NannyR Sun 30-Oct-16 19:46:41

Just a thought, are you treating the whole household with ovex at the same time? - that's really important, not just the infected child.

Ilovenannyplum Sun 30-Oct-16 19:47:53

My DS has just got rid of them, he's only just turned 2 and he must of picked them up at nursery.

The chemist gave us medicine that everyone in the house needed to take.
We are currently living with my PIL whilst my house is being worked on.

I had a little queue in the kitchen with everyone lining up for their turn grin

ShowOfHands Sun 30-Oct-16 19:49:22

40% of primary aged children have them at any given time. Many are asymptomatic and their parents won't treat them. So if it's at school or nursery and they share sandpits, playdough, hold hands and sit practically on each other at circle time, it's almost unavoidable.

I give a maintenance dose of Ovex regularly now as DS brings them home whenever we stop.

thescarftwins Sun 30-Oct-16 20:15:24

Nanny (sorry I don't know how to link confused we have all been having some, it's actually pretty tasty. But, as suggested - think we will start doing maintenance doses for us all. How often? Every two weeks?

thescarftwins Sun 30-Oct-16 20:30:50

Nanny (sorry I don't know how to link confused we have all been having some, it's actually pretty tasty. But, as suggested - think we will start doing maintenance doses for us all. How often? Every two weeks?

ChangedDaily Sun 30-Oct-16 20:35:50

Unlike nits, which are there to be seen if you look for them, threadworms aren't visible unless your child (or you) suffers from "nocturnal itching". So it's probably inevitable that primary schools will have perennial infections.

ShowOfHands Sun 30-Oct-16 21:21:14

We give it 6 weekly. We found them recurring around 8 weeks post treatment so stick with 6 weeks.

PinkSwimGoggles Sun 30-Oct-16 21:26:32

desinfecting doesn't work. washing at high temperatures (above 60) does.
keep fingernails short.
tight fitting pants at night, maybe with crotch-button onsie underneath to stop unconsious itching at night.

YouJustWouldntLetItLieWouldYa Sun 30-Oct-16 21:33:09

Bin any playdoh type stuff and ban her from using it in school too.

Apparently they can spread that way, the eggs get left behind from under the nails and are transferred when other kids use it / eat it.

Also Vaseline around the anus can suffocate any stragglers so i'm told.

BlackeyedSusan Sun 30-Oct-16 21:44:44

the eggs die after three weeks. bag up everything extraneous in bin bags seal and leave for three weeks. (i did lots of research) wash all other soft toys and bedding regularly.

everyone to wash their bottom in the morning and put on clean pants. wear pants in bed.

do not shake stuff out as it can throw the eggs up into the air. . (empty hoover outside for example and damp dust. hoover the mattress and bed frames.

toothbrushes need to be kept in a cupboard/drawer etc.

everyone takes the meds and take again two weeks later.

sometimes they just get them from school again and again. we had two doses within six months.

Evilstepmum01 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:46:38

Eww.

forgive my ignorance, but what are threadworms and how does one know if one has them?

Yucky!

mumontheedge123 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:51:48

Shower first thing every morning...gets rid of the eggs before they hatch

Girliefriendlikesflowers Sun 30-Oct-16 21:59:08

I feel your pain, dd has had constant reinfections this year.

I did lots of googling and there are various foods that are meant to help pumpkin seeds and pineapple being two that we have tried and so far dd hasn't mentioned an itchy bum!!

We also did 2 doses ovex 2 weeks apart, apparently the problem is that although this kills any worms all the eggs inside the worms (approx 10'000 shock ) remain.

Also lots of vaseline around the bottom twice a day, shower daily (twice daily if poss) and treat everyone in the family.

m0therofdragons Sun 30-Oct-16 22:03:13

I really wish we could use frontline in our dc! Nits and worms with a monthly spot on their necks like cats - surely this is being made?

Girliefriendlikesflowers Sun 30-Oct-16 22:09:21

m0ther I know I don't understand why this hasn't been developed either!! A cynical friend said its because there would be no money finding a solution....

m0therofdragons Sun 30-Oct-16 22:12:04

Has anyone tried frontline blush

Girliefriendlikesflowers Mon 31-Oct-16 10:00:13

Haha not sure that would work on threadworms maybe nits though!!

Threadworms are different to the sort of worms cats and dogs get so not sure their worming stuff would be any use on humans sadly.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now