Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this must be wrong?

(18 Posts)
tigerlilly0404 Sun 30-Oct-16 17:06:38

I've just returned back to work (part time) a few weeks ago after many years at home, roll on pay day and my tax code is a K code? surely that can't be right? I'm pretty ordinary, haven't worked for years, apart from DH income and tax credits nothing else coming in, it's really worrying me as they have taken a lot of tax of such a already small income!

CockacidalManiac Sun 30-Oct-16 17:13:32

It's worth checking; HMRC are having a mare at the moment, lots of mistakes being made. I've just had a big rebate, so have some others that I know. I would trust them to remember their own PIN sometimes.

StarryIllusion Sun 30-Oct-16 18:12:52

Are you sure it isn't emergency tax? Because if so then you get it back once they sort out your actual tax code.

StarryIllusion Sun 30-Oct-16 18:13:00

Are you sure it isn't emergency tax? Because if so then you get it back once they sort out your actual tax code.

StarryIllusion Sun 30-Oct-16 18:13:01

StarryIllusion Sun 30-Oct-16 18:13:02

StarryIllusion Sun 30-Oct-16 18:13:10

StarryIllusion Sun 30-Oct-16 18:13:12

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sun 30-Oct-16 18:14:30

Do you think it might be emergency tax gringringrin

SouthPole Sun 30-Oct-16 18:17:20

Sounds like emergency tax 😆😆😆

juls1888 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:22:18

K codes are usually when you are getting a negative tax allowance, such as if you have a company car and the tax arising on that benefit is more than the personal allowance. If you are just a straightforward person with no other income streams or tax bills hanging about from years ago, then your tax code is very much wrong.

tigerlilly0404 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:22:34

surely would be BR if emergency tax??

marsybum Sun 30-Oct-16 18:23:19

A k code means they think you have another income that isn't being taxed or that you have benefits that are more than your personal allowance, so if it's your only income then it sounds wrong, would be worth speaking to your payroll and if no joy directly to hmrc?

tigerlilly0404 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:25:11

really not sure about any tax bills??? I've only ever worked part time jobs years ago and certainly have never received any letters saying I owe anything?? which I'm sure I would have? I've lived an my current address over 10 years so not like I've been untraceable? actually really worried!

Thegirlinthefireplace Sun 30-Oct-16 18:42:43

Eek, I have the same and now I am worried! I noticed I last pay slip I got taxed a small amount even though I am earning less than personal allowance and noticed I had a K tax code and assumed it was an emergency tax (I didn't have a P45) but now I am worried too! I have preciously been self employed but that finished over a year ago and HMRC were informed. I could do without anything thing to worry about 😟

tigerlilly0404 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:54:40

ah Thegirlinthefireplace I also didn't have a p45 so maybe this is normal?? I got taxed a small bit the first month but was only paid for 2 weeks so thought nothing of it but today I see was taxed 200 out of a 700 pay! (was my first full month pay)

Yambabe Sun 30-Oct-16 19:44:36

No, putting you on a K code is definitely NOT normal.

Basic Rate (BR) or emergency (1100L W1/M1) would be normal.

First port of call should be your payroll dept, have they been given this code by HMRC or is someone there a bit of a banana?

If HMRC have given them the code they should have sent you a Notice Of Coding at the same time so assuming your payroll dept is banana-free and you haven't had a letter from HMRC you need to ring HMRC and query it.

Since the introduction of online filing etc tax codes were supposed to be easier, quicker and more accurate. Instead their errors seem to get worse and worse.........

chunkymum1 Sun 30-Oct-16 19:58:13

I'd call the HMRC helpline- the number is on the HMRC website. Should warn you that you'll probably be on hold for a while and you'll need your NI number (and if you have it your employer's tax reference- this should be on your payslip). I had a similar issue with a tax code and my HR department weren't that much use but the HMRC helpline were able to sort it out and sent a new notice of coding to HR.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now