Talk

Advanced search

I feel like I'm not too well at the moment - AIBU to worry about depression?

(8 Posts)
Tliev Sun 30-Oct-16 14:29:22

So basically I work Monday to Friday, went out Friday night (didn't drink and was desperate to come home all night) and since then I've been in my pyjamas all weekend. I've literally not left the house.

I just feel I have no energy or motivation to do anything. The house needed a good tidy up and DH was rushing around trying to get stuff done and I was just laying on the sofa. Feel guilty but I just can't be bothered with anything.

I have all these aspirations to go running and go back to karate etc but I just can't face the thought of any of it.

Been like this for a few weeks now. I'm worried it's the onset of depression but I don't feel depressed iyswim? I'm still looking forward to things etc ... Just in the meantime I want to sit in my pyjamas and do nothing.

AIBU to think this could be depression kicking in? No other physical symptoms other than a bit of a chest infection but this lethargy came on before the chest infection.

Or could it be diet related?? I've been following slimming world for a month. Lost almost half a stone, I weigh less now than I have in years so you'd think I'd have more energy???

Just fed up. I feel like my personality is clashing with my mind. I WANT to do things but my body is like "nah, not today".

IwasateenagePIPassessor Sun 30-Oct-16 14:35:58

Have a read through this, see if anything feels familiar to you at present.

www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/depression/#.WBYFDYbfWEc

pallasathena Sun 30-Oct-16 14:36:07

It might be SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and it is a real condition, something to do with not enough light in the winter months.
My daughter gets it and I bought her a SAD lamp off amazon last year which she says has really helped.
In Germany, the state hands out free vitamin B tablets to everyone because they recognise how debilitating the condition can be. You could have a chat with your GP about it, or just google SAD to find out more about it.
Don't think its diet, unless you're on one of those diet shake ones. They make me a bit depressed but they do seem to work!

MrsMozart Sun 30-Oct-16 14:53:18

Gonto rhe doc and get bloods done, including Vit D, Calcium, B12, parathyroid (PTH).

WankingMonkey Sun 30-Oct-16 15:31:26

Sadly no advice, but I have been feeling this way for months now. Everytime I bring it up at the doctors they say it will be linked to my pain issues. And as such refuse to do anything about it? They reckon when they solve my pain problems, the depression will follow. But...they haven't even found a source for the pain in 2 years, and the medication I am on only works for short periods of time too so I am not too hopeful.

TheHiphopopotamus Sun 30-Oct-16 16:16:34

I feel the same. I'm pretty sure it's linked to the change in season because it started when the days began getting shorter.

I don't want to do anything except sit at home under a blanket and I always feel like I could go sleep at about 4 in the afternoon. It's worse on the days when it's overcast and never seems to get light.

I'm definitely thinking of investing in one of those light boxes and I've started taking vit d supplements.

BarInSpace Sun 30-Oct-16 16:26:15

It could be mild depression, or it might not be. Perhaps you could see the GP for some advice on how to boost your mood naturally at this stage?

DangerousBeanz Sun 30-Oct-16 16:32:50

Get to the quacks.
Have your bloods checked and a thyroid funation. Check .
It could be SAD, it could be depression, it could be something physical. Try taking a good multi vit and mineral too. It won't do any harm and if you are dieting you might be missing something that ypu usually have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now