We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have said nothing?

(29 Posts)
Fibbertigibbet Sun 30-Oct-16 09:31:18

This happened yesterday but I'm finding it still playing on my mind.

I was in the Post Office sending a parcel when two teenage boys (they looked around 14 or 15) come in with a little girl (around 8). The boys pick up some sweets for the little girl and a drink each, then ask the cashier for a pack fo cigarettes. To my shock, the cashier gives them the cigarettes, and then the boy realises he doesn't have enough change (not even close!), so pays by card, and they leave.

I can't help feeling I should have said something. The boys clearly did not look over 18, and not having a clue about how much a pack of cigarettes costs suggests to me that they are new smokers. Should I have said something? Or is it none of my business and I should just let young people make their own mistakes?

BewtySkoolDropowt Sun 30-Oct-16 09:32:59

Report the shop to trading standards, they can do a test where they send in someone too young.

PurpleDaisies Sun 30-Oct-16 09:33:57

I thought you had to be at least 16 to have a debit card.

MummyLikesWrapMusic Sun 30-Oct-16 09:37:51

It's not your place to ID them, you could always report the shop and they will send around a 'decoy' to try catch them out. However, that won't stop these teens from trying to get cigarettes, and if the shop employee gets caught actually selling to under age people, they could lose their job. The owner could also be prosecuted. Personally, I don't think it's worth it, but I'm probably in the minority (shop work is soul destroying enough without trying to catch out silly teens).

JellyBelli Sun 30-Oct-16 09:37:54

Its much better to report the shop to Trading Standards IMO, you dont have to challenge people to their face. The card transaction is useful, so make a note of the time and date.

whateveryousay Sun 30-Oct-16 09:42:50

You can get a debit card before age 16. My DS14 has had one for a while.

Schoolisback1973 Sun 30-Oct-16 09:44:06

So the post office cashier acted illegally!!! I wouldn't have minded so much but for the fact that they were with a much younger girl.
Not sure what I would do.. Report the post office cashier. Hopefully she passes the test...and it was a one off.

Maverickismywingman Sun 30-Oct-16 09:45:15

Is not 16 for a debit card and 16 for cigarette purchase?

FromthePinkGlitterySide Sun 30-Oct-16 09:47:05

What if they were old enough and the cashier knew that? They might have shown id the day before!

yoowhoo Sun 30-Oct-16 09:47:25

I agree op. I would report the shop. Yes teens will find a way to get cigarettes but that doesn't give the shop free reign to break the law. mummy it's not catching out silly teens though is it? It's catching the silly people who served a teenager cigarettes. They should ID. I've worked in shops in the past and waitressed..they are both soul destroying in their own ways..I wouldn't spit in someone's food though.

AlpacaPicnic Sun 30-Oct-16 09:49:14

Maybe they are 'known' to the person who served them, and she's seen their ID before? But yes, as others have said, if you have concerns then your local council trading standards department are the people to contact.

MrsHathaway Sun 30-Oct-16 09:50:01

My 8yo has a debit card.

I agree you should consider reporting to Trading Standards. If they're interested they'll send a young-looking 18yo in to try to buy age-restricted products and see if they're challenged.

I would have felt quite strongly about that. I might even have managed a pass-agg "wow, I'd never have thought those kids were eighteen - I'm so out of touch" when I was served.

Boolovessulley Sun 30-Oct-16 09:50:45

Report the shop.

I would hate for that to have been my child.

acornsandnuts Sun 30-Oct-16 09:52:38

Most children's accounts can give debit cards.

The boys may have been 16 and regularly shop there showing ID on previous occasions.

MrsHathaway Sun 30-Oct-16 09:55:18

Isn't it 18 for cigarettes nowadays?

MrsHathaway Sun 30-Oct-16 09:56:17

Quick Google:

From 1 October 2007 the The Children and Young Persons (Sale of Tobacco etc.) Order 2007 became effective, raising the minimum purchase age to 18 years of age.

BewtySkoolDropowt Sun 30-Oct-16 09:56:40

The age for buying cigarettes is 18, and has been for a while

slightlypeevedwombat Sun 30-Oct-16 09:56:51

the shop employee gets caught actually selling to under age people, they could lose their job. The owner could also be prosecuted. Personally, I don't think it's worth it, but I'm probably in the minority (shop work is soul destroying enough without trying to catch out silly teens).

Yes you are in the minority, part of the job of working in a shop is not selling restricted goods to underage people. Teenagers will always try to get what they shouldn't, should we just not bother any more?

GettingMuckyFingersCrossed Sun 30-Oct-16 09:58:21

Tbh I would mind my own business

Maverickismywingman Sun 30-Oct-16 09:58:28

Sorry, I thought it was still 16. It was when I was young and I don't pay attention to thing like that, if I don't buy them. blush

BewtySkoolDropowt Sun 30-Oct-16 10:01:12

See the whole 'it's not really worth it' argument (I am paraphrasing) is interesting.

At what age is it worth it? If it is ok to sell to teens, then what about 12? If ok for 12, then what about 11? and so on.

There has to be a cut off, and it legally is 18. Where would you draw the line if you think it's ok for 'silly teens'?

Twolittlejobbys Sun 30-Oct-16 10:05:48

Doesn't matter if id has been shown previously, it must be shown each time cigarettes or alcohol are purchased! Even if you know the person is 18 or older you must still ask for id every time! It's a little bit silly but it's the law, even family members etc have to show if if the look under 25

1DAD2KIDS Sun 30-Oct-16 10:12:07

Could have been sent out with the card by a parent for the cigarettes? That would explain why they didn't know the price. Did you see them smoke any of them outside. Not that is right anyway.

Pooka Sun 30-Oct-16 10:14:39

Trading standards do send old looking 16 year olds out. So they look younger than 18 but possibly older than 16. My nephew worked over the summer doing this.

Pooka Sun 30-Oct-16 10:16:34

But it's not for you to say anything there and then. By all means report to the local council. They will investigate next time they're running a decoy scheme.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now