Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think we should stick to BST all year?

(117 Posts)
ForalltheSaints Sun 30-Oct-16 07:41:43

Reduce road accidents in November
Far fewer people start at around 6am since manufacturing industry was devastated in the 1960s
No need for schools to finish so early so children go home in the dark
Some schools might start later so rush hour spread out a bit more
Better for tourism

Scots would not like it, but if they were to vote for independence, could have the time zone they wished.

ForalltheSaints Sun 30-Oct-16 07:42:22

I meant 80s for decline of manufacturing

FuzzyWizard Sun 30-Oct-16 07:44:53

No! I hate the dark in the mornings. I've been desperate for the clocks to go back for a few weeks and feel miles better for it this morning.

Ohtheterribletwos Sun 30-Oct-16 07:48:18

Sorry OP, I feel the same as Fuzzy. More light to start the morning with lifts my spirits. I'm not fond of the winter.

RedHelenB Sun 30-Oct-16 07:49:16

YABU we dont all live in the South! And dark mornings are awful!

PollyPerky Sun 30-Oct-16 07:52:58

YANBU

It has been proved that it's safer to have BST and lighter evenings.

For the few farmers it affects why can't they just adjust their day and get up later?

It's lighter in the north anyway in the evenings! My family live in the north and they get at least 30 mins more light in the evenings under BST than the south.

GlacindaTheTroll Sun 30-Oct-16 07:58:25

I'd go with the evidence of fewer accidents.

Because you're never going to suit everyone's feelings about clock times of dawn and dusk, but at least we could save actual physical harm.

I can't see why Scotland couldn't have its own time zone if that's what was wanted.

(And no, not everyone lives in the SE, but more people live in London than in Scotland, Wales and NI combined).

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Sun 30-Oct-16 07:59:38

It's lighter for longer in the north in the summer, and in the south in winter. It doesn't matter what the clock says, the actual hours of available daylight don't change!

OddBoots Sun 30-Oct-16 08:00:11

I don't mind the clock change, one way or the other but I know that if we left the clocks on BST then The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents in England, Wales and in Scotland believe there will be significantly fewer car accidents which seems a good reason to me.

There was a discussion about it on BBC R2 with an MP from Scotland putting the case against but he seemed only to care about the Highland and the culture of rural farming there , he wasn't worried about lives of the majority of Scots south of the Highlands.

bestofbothhovis Sun 30-Oct-16 08:00:38

I'm in the midlands and I totally agree. I hate the clock changes in the autumn. So much rather have a bit of a darker morning and have more time in the afternoon. It gets dark by 4 which is such bollocks

PaperdollCartoon Sun 30-Oct-16 08:00:39

I'm glad the clocks have gone back, I need that bit of extra light in the morning. And I'm in the south east!

PickAChew Sun 30-Oct-16 08:01:45

I'm not in Scotland but couldn't cope with it not getting light until almost 10am in December.

ComfortingKormaBalls Sun 30-Oct-16 08:02:06

I agree, especially with more jobs been 24 hours now people go to and from work at all hours.

Was going to say the same about Scotland wink

desertmum Sun 30-Oct-16 08:08:19

I hate it - makes no difference to me my animals don't understand the concept of time going back so I still have to get up and feed them whether it is 8 am (before the change) or 7 am (after the change)so no lie in here.

FerretFred Sun 30-Oct-16 08:18:52

Why is the argument always centred on Scotland? The population of Scotland is possibly 6 million and the rest of the UK is 60 million.

captaincunt Sun 30-Oct-16 08:20:00

Yanbu I hate clock change.

MsJamieFraser Sun 30-Oct-16 08:21:27

Who are you to Scots would not like it hmm

OnlyTheWelshCanCwtch Sun 30-Oct-16 08:23:01

Well you learn something every day!
I had no idea it got darker at different times in Scotland and the south!
I just assumed it went dark all over at the same time!

ClaudiaApfelstrudel Sun 30-Oct-16 08:23:03

YANBU

I absolutely loath this weekend of the year, recently I've decided society can get lost and I tend to get up with the light and go to bed in the dark, it works for me even though my DP thinks I'm strange going to bed at 7pm

FuzzyWizard Sun 30-Oct-16 08:24:49

I live in London. I'd personally prefer we just ditch BST and stay on Greenwich Mean Time all year. It's not only people in Scotland who'd rather not have GMT+1 all year. I'd imagine Northern England and Scotland get mentioned more because they have longer summer days and shorter winter days than the rest of us so they would be more affected by any change.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sun 30-Oct-16 08:24:58

YANBU

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sun 30-Oct-16 08:26:52

Damn it forgot to post a message.

I think there is an arguement it could save on energy usage too. Not everyone is out of bed at 8am but virtually everyone is up and about at 4pm.

So by keeping the daylight till 5pm you use less lightning & heating.

BaronessEllaSaturday Sun 30-Oct-16 08:28:09

Been looking forward to the clocks going back so I'm starting my day in daylight again. It's dark when I get home either way so at least now I get to see some daylight.

DoctorDonnaNoble Sun 30-Oct-16 08:30:44

Didn't they do an experiment where they didn't change the clocks a few decades back. It wasn't good.

FrancisCrawford Sun 30-Oct-16 08:35:54

Ditch BST and stay on GMT all year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now