Worried about bump to baby

(15 Posts)
Summerblaze100 Sun 30-Oct-16 00:59:58

Tonight DH was feeding our 10 day old baby (DC4) who was born early. Due date is tomorrow (Sunday 30th).

DC3 who is 4.5 yo, hopped onto the sofa next to DH and kneed or bashed with the side of his knee the babies head.

She didn't cry and has seemed fine since but DH is still panicking about it. I didn't see it happen which is what makes me panic. I could make a judgement if I had.

For clarity, my DS has SN (moderate learning difficulties) and at 1yo he fell down the stairs.

Thinking back, he may have had some issues before this happened but it was around the same time and I'll never know if it was the fall or not.

AIBU to worry and what should I do/look for.

Tigerstar123 Sun 30-Oct-16 01:11:11

Could you ring the midwives at the hospital for some reassurance? I was told I could do this if it was out of hours (and I did have to ring about something similar to this-swap ds in your instance to dog...). They were lovely and for us, all was fine. They can hopefully advise you what to do/put your mind at rest. PS congrats on the new baby!

RoseRose217 Sun 30-Oct-16 03:54:06

I dont think you're being unreasonable -any parent would be concerned about such a young baby bumping their head. Best to speak to a medical professional and get it checked out, if nothing else it will stop you worrying smile

BillSykesDog Sun 30-Oct-16 04:04:11

YANBU. Take her and get her checked. I have newborn twins and a child the same age and similar happened. It was no problem, but getting it checked reassured us.

Trifleorbust Sun 30-Oct-16 07:25:02

Definitely get it checked if you are still worried but new babies have soft skulls. I'm sure if she isn't crying and is otherwise acting normally then there is nothing to panic about.

JustGetOverIt Sun 30-Oct-16 07:38:39

Get what checked out?

She didn't cry, there isn't a bruise or mark I presume?

So what exactly would a doctor do? They wouldn't X-ray her. They would have a look see she is fine and wave them away.

Marshmallow92 Sun 30-Oct-16 07:48:00

I done a similar thing yesterday DD is 3mo so a bit older. She flipped back as I was lifting her out of her cot and bumped her head on the bar! I felt awful but she cried for all of 10 seconds then forgot about it.
I just made sure she looked okay, no mark, and that she seemed like her normal self, alert and smiling etc. That's much harder with a tiny baby!! But if she didn't even cry it couldn't have bothered her that much. I'd say if she's feeding normally etc and isn't screaming for ages then she's fine but if you're concerned just ring the midwives for peace of mind. smile

RoseRose217 Sun 30-Oct-16 11:50:46

@justgetoverit - while the midwife/nurse/doctor might not be able to do anything for the baby as perhaps nothing needs to be done, what they could do is reassure the parents. Sometimes hearing that everything is ok from a professional who knows what they are talking about is all that is needed.

JustGetOverIt Sun 30-Oct-16 18:01:16

I think those who need appointments for that kind of thing Rosie really need to go private.

Bettybooop25 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:20:33

You can't just see a midwife/doctor for reassurance Rosie ffs.

NavyandWhite Sun 30-Oct-16 18:24:36

How's your baby been today OP? Did you get her checked out?

RoseRose217 Sun 30-Oct-16 19:06:55

Surely they can phone nhs 24 or their midwife/health visitor during business hours?! What are they going to say - no you're wrong to ask about a 10 day old baby being kneed in the head?! Doubt it.

Summerblaze100 Mon 31-Oct-16 00:02:41

I didn't take her anywhere in the end. I figured that without a mark and the fact that she didn't cry, is acting in a usual way and eating and doing all the other bodily functions that they would just say that she was probably fine and to keep an eye on her. I think she'll probably be fine but don't know for sure but then neither will they.

She is just fine although DS1 put his finger in her mouth this afternoon after being at a soft play place.

I'm seeing my midwife and health visitor on Tuesday so will just ask them at my appointment.

MommaGee Mon 31-Oct-16 00:30:40

Glad she seems OK - agree with others that if she seems OK and didn't cry or probably didn't bother her a d she'll be fine.

Betty since when can you not see a Dr for reassura? Dh put baby on changing mat and bumped his head- about 4 months so only just out of hospital. We got a taxi to a&e! Also from over first time he tried standing and bashed his head - we went to a&e. Logically you K of its likely to be OK but sometimes you just need reassuring by someone who knows more than you!

MommaGee Mon 31-Oct-16 00:32:23

JustGet you seriously expect people to go private if their child has anymore to their head and they want them checked our and reassurance they're OK? Do I need a limb hanging off before I'm allowed near a hospital??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now