Eating horses?

(210 Posts)
5Foot5 Sat 29-Oct-16 21:54:32

DH and I are watching QI on Dave and there has been a discussion about eating horse meat. We were both a bit surprised that it is still seen as slightly distasteful by many people.

I have knowingly eaten horse twice - once in France at a barbeque and once in a hotel in Iceland where we ate foal for a starter and it was sweet and succulent and lovely.

So AIBU for thinking we are a bit squeamish in this country and there is really nothing wrong with it and for asking would you/ have you?

FlyingElbows Sat 29-Oct-16 21:57:41

No I haven't and no I wouldn't.

Have yourself 500 gf points and a biscuit for effort though hmm

MyGiddyUncle Sat 29-Oct-16 21:59:38

I haven't but I would. I don't see the difference between horse/beef etc.

I admit I did automatically wrinkle my nose at 'foal' but then got a grip of myself for being so hypocritical as I happily eat lamb.

Boundaries Sat 29-Oct-16 21:59:56

Is it any different to eating cow, flying? Or lamb? Or pig....

Bluesrunthegame Sat 29-Oct-16 22:00:00

I ate it in France once years ago and it was OK, like beef, I think. I agree people often have reservations about it but I'm not sure why.

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Sat 29-Oct-16 22:00:11

I've eaten it but not in the UK. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion, no different to cows, sheep, pigs etc. but there are lot of people that keep horses as pets and they will for sure have a different opinion. Each to their own.

MyGiddyUncle Sat 29-Oct-16 22:00:44

Jeez, who shit on your chips FlyingElbows

The op is asking whether you'd eat horse, not deep fried human baby hmm

FuckThatToOneSide Sat 29-Oct-16 22:01:49

Here's a nice biscuit for you OP. It's sweet and succulent - you'll fucking love it!

AtSea1979 Sat 29-Oct-16 22:02:44

I ride but I'd eat it. I don't value one animal less than another. I think I'd drawn the line at cats and dogs but I can't rationalise why.

londonrach Sat 29-Oct-16 22:02:52

I would although bearing in mind im not a fan of deer, cow i suspect it wouldnt be to my taste. No difference to cow as a grass eater.

TaggieRR Sat 29-Oct-16 22:03:19

I wouldn't no, I like horses and feel they have another purpose whereas the entire point of cows/pigs etc is food!!

PaperdollCartoon Sat 29-Oct-16 22:03:28

I don't eat any animals anymore, but you're not wrong. The hypocrisy about which animals are food and which are friends is horrendous.

HolesInTheFloor Sat 29-Oct-16 22:03:30

I'm not sure if I've eaten it. Maybe as a kid on holiday? I probably wouldn't choose to eat it because it's probably quite gamey (or I imagine it to be). But I'd have no problem ethically with eating it.

I have had horses all my life but I can't understand why there seems to be this animal eating hierarchy. Dogs seem to cause outrage but little lambs are super cute and cuddly and they do t cause issues.

Cherrysoup Sat 29-Oct-16 22:03:37

Couldn't, personally, as I own horses, they're pets. It would be a bit like eating dog, I suppose.

allegretto Sat 29-Oct-16 22:03:38

What we eat is very much based on what is acceptable to our society. I wouldn't eat horse, cat or dog as I see them as different to cows - not really logical, I know. I wouldn't eat octopus either but I have eaten donkey!

CaveMum Sat 29-Oct-16 22:03:49

Personally no I wouldn't but I've worked with/in industry's associated with horses since I left school so I'd no more eat horse than I would dog.

I think the general UK population still have an affinity with horses on one level or another (little girls love ponies, people liking a flutter at the races, for example) and we see them as pets as opposed to farm animals.

Thatznotmyname Sat 29-Oct-16 22:03:51

Yes I'd eat horse! I see no difference between that and cow or sheep. I'd also eat cat, dog or rodent etc but not bugs..... nope nope nope!

Cosmicglitterghoul Sat 29-Oct-16 22:04:01

No, as I don't like any red meat, but technically why not?

PinkSwimGoggles Sat 29-Oct-16 22:05:35

yanbu
it's tasty.
and when it comes to cute factor cows are up there as well with those lovely eyes.

Inthenick Sat 29-Oct-16 22:05:55

Yeah I've eaten it, and I love horses.

It's meat like all others. The biscuits are unnecessary and a bit OTT.

Floralnomad Sat 29-Oct-16 22:06:03

I wouldn't eat horse in the same way as I wouldn't eat dog / cat / rabbit or Guinea pig because I have kept them as family pets .

yesterdaysunshine Sat 29-Oct-16 22:06:23

I am veggie.

No, I would never eat horse.

Horses are friends.

RancidOldHag Sat 29-Oct-16 22:06:23

I've eaten dog.

That shouldn't be any different either.

Except it is, because cultural preferences aren't governed by logic.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 29-Oct-16 22:06:40

I have, in Switzerland, it was lovely, I'd happily eat it often if it was available.

LifeIsGhoulish Sat 29-Oct-16 22:07:30

Nothing GF about the OP. Certain replies have, if anything, proven exactly her point: squeamishness.

I've eaten horse and found it too sweetish for my taste. But horsemeat Bressaola was very good. I've also eaten rabbit bred and slaughtered by my hosts. Very chicken-like. And calf-brain fritters. None of these were in the UK. It's meat. No different to cuddly, cute lambs or fried calf liver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now