Talk

Advanced search

To get rid of most of my clothes?

(17 Posts)
FlapsTie Sat 29-Oct-16 12:35:11

I put on a ton of weight in the last couple of years, going from a 10 to a 16/18. I'd carefully bagged up and kept all my size 10 clothes in anticipation of losing the weight. My SIL (compulsive shopper) has given me piles and piles of clothes in the larger sizes, mostly brand new stuff.

I have now successfully lost two and a half stone and tbh I don't think I want to lose anymore. I'm a 12/14, I have boobs and a bum and a waist and feel happy in my skin.

So I'm tempted to get rid of the bags of smaller stuff and too big stuff. I've also gone through my wardrobe and made a pile of things I never wear or don't love.

It feels a bit wasteful. If my weight goes back up or back down I'll have to buy all new clothes again. But I don't have the space to keep storing it all indefinitely.

It will all go to the charity shop, I'm not going to just chuck it.

What do you think? Should I keep stuff just in case?

FlapsTie Sat 29-Oct-16 12:48:18

I know it's a boring question but I am overthinking and can't make a decision. Tell me what to do <pleads>

Wrinklytights Sat 29-Oct-16 12:49:21

Never keep stuff just in case. Get rid. It's not wasteful if you charity shop it as someone else can be wearing it.

Dawndonnaagain Sat 29-Oct-16 12:50:07

I have lost a considerable amount of weight over the last year, I've got rid of at least half of my wardrobe. I've enjoyed going through it all and I've enjoyed giving it away to various charities. Go for it, you really do feel better for it.

AlexandraEiffel Sat 29-Oct-16 12:50:55

Get rid! It'll be cathartic. I need to go exactly the same with pre baby, maternity, breastfeeding etc clothes. I'm drowning! I get stuck thinking I should sell them as we could do with the money but I want rid!

FaithAscending Sat 29-Oct-16 12:52:25

If you've reached a weight you are happy with, I definitely would! It's not wasteful! If it goes to charity it'll be 'new' to someone and give money to a worthy cause.

FlapsTie Sat 29-Oct-16 12:52:31

Excellent! I've literally been getting dressed out of the clean washing pile for months as I've run out of room. I agree it will be cathartic.

228agreenend Sat 29-Oct-16 13:12:30

Why don't you keep a capsule wardrobe and/or key pieces so if your weight does change, you have something to wear. Get rid of tatty, dated, and worn out clothes.

FlapsTie Sat 29-Oct-16 13:13:20

That's a good idea.

FaithAscending Sat 29-Oct-16 13:13:21

Oh goodness Flaps! Clear the clothes you don't wear and make room for the ones you do wear!

FlapsTie Sat 29-Oct-16 13:13:53

I'm doing it. There's a scary amount.

MollyRedskirts Sat 29-Oct-16 13:14:25

I have a similar dilemma, and your posting about it has decided it for me, too. I'm getting rid!

FaithAscending Sat 29-Oct-16 13:15:22

Make sure you sort through the clothes you wear regularly too. Channel Marie Kondo - only keep it if it brings you joy! I did that and donated 5 bin bags of clothes!

Katy07 Sat 29-Oct-16 13:19:44

If you keep things in case you put on weight again you will put on weight again because when something feels a bit uncomfortable you'll swap to the larger size instead of thinking 'must lose weight so clothes fit' (says person who has just bought bigger trousers grin)

Revealall Sat 29-Oct-16 13:31:48

I do this a lot with clothes. Unfortunately I always chuck out the wrong ones. I have lost track of the times I have looked for an item only to remember I gave it away.
And then go back to the dowdy, unfitting selection still left in drawers.
No idea why I always pick the wrong ones.

JosephineMaynard Sat 29-Oct-16 13:33:02

I had a lot of clothes in wrong sizes.

I sorted through them all earlier this year. There were a few really nice bits I hung onto, but most of them - fairly generic tops and bottoms that i figured I'd not be bothered about ever wearing again even if I woke up tomorrow able to fit in them.

So the bulk of them went to the charity shop. It's been great. Now I have plenty of wardrobe space for clothes that actually fit me and that I like wearing, rather than having storage space stuffed with meh clothes that don't fit anyway.

ChuckGravestones Sat 29-Oct-16 13:44:57

I got rid of around 80% of my clothes earlier this year - now have one drawer for tops, one for everything else and undies in a third and that's it!

Blooming marvellous it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now