To have said I don't want to feel like a Mum

(6 Posts)
cjt110 Fri 28-Oct-16 21:37:27

Tonight, DH and I had a heart to heart about some things and I said to him, whilst I love our son with every bit of my being, sometimes I just don't want to feel like a Mum. I want to be me. A wife. A Mum. All these things. Just not one.

Please tell me I'm not alone

Wrinklytights Fri 28-Oct-16 21:42:52

YANBU! I have just started working vv part time after having 9 yrs out as a SAHP and the thing I love most about it is feeling like just me again, not me the wife or me the mother.

Believeitornot Fri 28-Oct-16 21:44:47

Yanbu and yabu

I know what you mean. But perhaps redefine what being a "mum" means.

To me it is about being responsible for my children. But I am also a role model and coach to my dcs which means showing them how to be a rounded adult. Eg working, having hobbies, doing exercise etc etc. Not just centering my whole life around them.

AmeliaJack Fri 28-Oct-16 21:44:56

Perhaps you meant not only like a mum?

Valuable for yourself not just as an adjunct of another person?

That's not unreasonable at all.

SpeakNoWords Fri 28-Oct-16 21:45:32

I'm sure you're not alone. But, I'm not really sure what you mean. I am a mum, as a fact, but I don't feel like a mum, I just feel like me. I do parenting things that I didn't used to do, but they don't define me, iyswim.

What's stopping you from feeling like just you? Can you pin it down?

mochaccinoCake Fri 28-Oct-16 22:06:18

cjt110

you can be all of these things smile. You can be a mum, and still be you, the same way that you can be a professional x... insert job title here..xx during the day and a party animal at the weekend.
The only thing that changes is that you put your kids first, and they are always in the back of your mind. Becoming a mum does not have to mean you have to disappear entirely, thank god!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now