My daughter slapped a work colleague on the shop floor!

(315 Posts)
plastique Fri 28-Oct-16 20:50:17

My daughter is distraught, she slapped a colleague at work whilst having playful banter (though they did cross the line), but it was a bit hard, left a mark for 10 mins and colleague is not happy...what should she do??

Bertucci Fri 28-Oct-16 20:51:47

OMG - apologise profusely and hope for the best?

I would think she may well get fired.

yesterdaysunshine Fri 28-Oct-16 20:51:48

All she can really do is apologise profusely and explain she crossed a line and promise no physical contact again.

rumpelstiltskin43 Fri 28-Oct-16 20:52:04

Pray that she's not fired!

sparechange Fri 28-Oct-16 20:52:11

Apologise, and talk to them. How hard was the slap, and WHY was she slapping someone?
Is this the first time it has happened?

ReallyShouldKnowBetterAtMyAge Fri 28-Oct-16 20:52:18

Resign before she is sacked for gross misconduct.

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Fri 28-Oct-16 20:52:22

Apologise ... Say "oh goodness I'm so so sorry, I really didn't mean that to happen"

Cherrysoup Fri 28-Oct-16 20:52:38

Apologise, inform manager and pray colleague doesn't have her charged with common assault. I imagine she knows how incredibly foolish that was, not to mention highly inappropriate in a work or indeed any environment.

rumpelstiltskin43 Fri 28-Oct-16 20:53:31

Banter always seems to manage to cross the line. Then people say "Oh, it was just banter".

LittleBearPad Fri 28-Oct-16 20:54:03

Update her CV

Pray she isn't fired, apologise profusely but likely have to find a new job.

Learn to behave better

TirednessIsComing Fri 28-Oct-16 20:54:34

Apologise, hope she's not fired or that the colleague doesn't talk to the police about assault and work on her unprofessionalism and issues.

Penfold007 Fri 28-Oct-16 20:55:58

Resign with immediate effect, apologise and hope she isn't sacked and reported to police. Why did she slap another human being?

PirateFairy45 Fri 28-Oct-16 20:56:02

Learn not to slap people.

Apologies and resign.

ChequeOff Fri 28-Oct-16 21:06:06

What? Why did she slap them? How do you slap someone in banter? confused

Wolfiefan Fri 28-Oct-16 21:07:32

You don't slap people at work. I agree she may well be sacked. Update CV and get job hunting. Hope previous employers provide references.

NotWeavingButDarning Fri 28-Oct-16 21:08:29

Omg! Agree, she should apologise profusely and probably resign before she's sacked.

And if I were her I'd never let that job near my cv, because informal references from a manager or colleague could scupper her for ages.

SavoyCabbage Fri 28-Oct-16 21:10:27

She should resign. The other person should not have to work with someone who has lamped them.

You can't behave like that and then say it's banter.

PoshPenny Fri 28-Oct-16 21:12:09

What do you mean by "they crossed a line".
It sounds like gross misconduct/instant dismissal. Were there witnesses?

Dryerwasher Fri 28-Oct-16 21:12:39

a colleague can never be slapped in banter. The intention was clearly there.

shinynewusername Fri 28-Oct-16 21:13:08

Agree with PPs - apologise profusely and resign before she is sacked.

RentANDBills Fri 28-Oct-16 21:13:17

She slapped them hard enough to leave a mark for 10 minutes? shock that's really quite a whack.

Depends on how long she's been there and what her relationship is like with the colleague but tbh I agree with PPs, she should resign.

Dryerwasher Fri 28-Oct-16 21:13:50

How did that even happen? How did she go from working to playful to slapping? That's not the whole story

SailingThroughTime Fri 28-Oct-16 21:14:30

I was a slapee in 'banter' circumstances. Clear hand print left on my arm which another colleague took a pic of.

The slapper was mortified and apologised profusely. I made it clear that I wasn't happy but I liked her - a lot. I'm confident it won't happen again. So it depends on the relationship.

There is another colleague who occasionally is a bit 'handy' in a supposedly jokey way. Next time she does it, I'm going to properly twat her.

I think your DD needs to make a proper apology though.

AcrossthePond55 Fri 28-Oct-16 21:14:44

I'd say apologize profusely and offer to resign. Let it be up to management as to whether or not they accept her offer.

LumpySpacedPrincess Fri 28-Oct-16 21:15:11

Why did she slap him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now