Talk

Advanced search

MIL and DH or me (lighthearted-ish)

(31 Posts)
Dobbyandme Fri 28-Oct-16 18:06:06

MIL is visiting to see her GC. Turned up 4 hours late, smoked around my DD (I have a strict policy against this and it's well known) and then went off site seeing. We're feeding MIL tonight and mentioned DD's dinner time which has come and gone. MIL still hasn't turned up and we haven't heard from her. DD hungry and getting tired.

DH says to wait dinner and to ignore MIL behaviour, I want to feed my child and think MIL has been rude.

Just curious while I'm sitting here irritated and hungry myself, who you lovely lot think IBU?

WaxingNinja Fri 28-Oct-16 18:07:11

You and DD eat your dinner.

Plate your DH and MIL's dinner up, DH can heat it up and eat with her when she gets in.

Lilaclily Fri 28-Oct-16 18:07:16

You and dd eat now

I bet money on it that mil will have already eaten

GailLondon Fri 28-Oct-16 18:08:08

Don't keep your child waiting for dinner! That never ends well, you will just have a tired, hungry, grumpy child.
MIL can eat when she gets back

OnlyEatsToast Fri 28-Oct-16 18:11:42

Why on earth would you wait! Feed your DD!

anniroc Fri 28-Oct-16 18:13:37

What Waxing said.

Sparklesilverglitter Fri 28-Oct-16 18:13:51

It must be getting near bedtime so feed the child and put them to bed as you would normally.

Then DH can have dinner with mil -if-- when she returns

FadedRed Fri 28-Oct-16 18:15:41

You and DD eat now.
Throw a bucket of cold water over her every time she smokes where she shouldn't.
Buy her a watch for Christmas.

MangoBiscuit Fri 28-Oct-16 18:15:42

Did you specifically say you were serving dinner at X time? If so, I'd be eating now. If not, I'd still feed your DD and do her normal bedtime routine.

ohfourfoxache Fri 28-Oct-16 18:15:50

Christ! Just feed dd! Don't wait for mil!

ohfourfoxache Fri 28-Oct-16 18:16:17

Faded I think I love you!

Mummytojane Fri 28-Oct-16 18:19:11

Did you say what time dinner was? If you didn't then i don't think your mil has done anything wrong. If you said dinner is at X and she hasn't bothered to you text and say I'm running late it is rude

Assuming you have a young child? Feed your child and put them in bed as you would normally. If DH wants go wait for his mil that is fair enough nobody is stopping him

Dobbyandme Fri 28-Oct-16 18:19:16

Dinner is moments away. Thanks for swift replies.

Faded - love this. Be my lifecoach?

Dobbyandme Fri 28-Oct-16 18:19:55

Mummy yes we were specific. Still no contact from MIL...

ohfourfoxache Fri 28-Oct-16 18:21:11

Ach, fuck her. Dd comes first.

How long is she staying for?

EverySongbirdSays Fri 28-Oct-16 18:21:21

I can't believe your DH thinks it's AT ALL reasonable to make your DD go hungry, waiting on his mother! It could be hours before she swans in.

I'm imagining Patsy from Ab Fab

"Sorry dahlings, you were waiting?? but I'm FINE I ate a crisp last Tuesday"

Eatthecake Fri 28-Oct-16 18:21:56

As you said what time dinner was, mil was rude not to drop a simple text saying "running late, could i reheat my dinner later? Don't wait for me"

Feed you DC and go about your night as you generally would. Your DH can wait for his mil if he so wishes

tibbawyrots Fri 28-Oct-16 18:38:21

Lordy never make a child go hungry waiting for an adult to arrive!

Leeds2 Fri 28-Oct-16 18:45:32

Certainly feed your DD now. Up to you whether you eat with her or not. I think I probably would.

Dobbyandme Fri 28-Oct-16 18:48:38

Ohfour - even the one night is too long.

Everysong think Sharon from Birds of a Feather.

Me and DD scoffing ours then she's off uo to bed

ohfourfoxache Fri 28-Oct-16 18:59:25

One night and she's off sightseeing? shock

Seriously? She wouldn't rather spend time with her granddaughter?

SamhainSoubriquet Fri 28-Oct-16 19:02:23

Why on earth is your Dh condoning her behaviour?

Why is he not telling her she can't smoke around his daughter?!

redshoeblueshoe Fri 28-Oct-16 19:06:31

Please do what Faded said grin

Dobbyandme Fri 28-Oct-16 19:10:00

Well to be honest Samhain I did ask him while I was plating up if dealing with a pissed off me was easier than confronting her. He looked somewhat appalled that I might think that, especially as I'm not a walkover and he knew I was fuming.

He tried to placate me by suggesting that MIL might be in some kind of trouble, at which point I suggested that if that was the case he best go out looking for her while we ate our dinner while it was hot.

She showed up while he was out, apparently had forgotten her mobile and walked home without thinking of jumping in a taxi as she passed the rank.

They're all eating now.

Ohfour - unintentional drip feed but this is part of my point with DH as this is the first time she's met her 14 month old GD...

Dinosaursgoboo Fri 28-Oct-16 19:34:46

She sounds infuriating. In our house (3 kids under 6) the routine rumbles on, regardless of guests foibles (and illness, natural disasters, you get the picture). We have loads of houseguests and they fit in or lump it. I will save a plate of food if someone misses a meal, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now