Advanced search

To consider teaching adults and how do I go about it?

(7 Posts)
cheekymonk Fri 28-Oct-16 15:30:46

Hello all. I currently work part time for DWP. I'm fed up of it, I want to help people but am continually restricted by the endless rules and targets. I have a BA Hons in English. I started a PGCE in primary education but was not doing well, really struggled to have the confidence to discipline the little monkies when I was only 21 myself. Now I'm 37 with 2 lovely but challenging children both with Autism and a husband who works shifts. I'm desperately trying to get myself back on track, battling depression and extreme obesity. I've googled it and looks like I would need to do a PGCE. Does anyone work in education? I've applied for a couple of admin jobs at local Unis but not for far. Should I just put up with my fairly stable but miserable job for the sake of family status quo?

harderandharder2breathe Fri 28-Oct-16 15:32:53

My mums partner did some adult courses at local colleges/schools but is now finding that he can't get work as budgets are cut sad depends what and where you would be teaching of course, but adult education is a relatively easy place for budget cuts unfortunately

BertieBotts Fri 28-Oct-16 16:31:33

What do you want to teach? Would ESL be interesting to you? You can do a CELTA for about £1300 and it will get you started. It can be difficult to find work with ESL in Britain though unless you have qualified teacher status, but there are jobs that come up every now and again which don't need it. Plus there are sometimes options to get qualified alongside working, but I don't know how easy these are to find.

whirliegig Fri 28-Oct-16 16:39:52

I retrained whilst working, by doing evening courses and volunteering over a period of a few years ( in Scotland, so my route was PDA ITALL, PDA ITESOL and CELTA). I'm now qualified to teach ALN adult literacy/numeracy and ESOL, and am successfully working in community adult education for a local authority.

redexpat Fri 28-Oct-16 17:06:23

Im pretty sure that the teachers at the prison where I worked had nvqs, i want to say level 4, but dont quote me on that.

Toombumber Fri 28-Oct-16 18:27:56

I teach ESOL to adults at a large college. I needed to get QTS for the FE sector (Lifelong learning or whatever similar thing it's called now, a CertEd), and a Level 4 subject specialism in teaching English to adults. These 2 courses I did simultaneously at a local university one day a week over a period of 2 years, the Monday, while also working pretty much full time, Tues-Sat in the college. So I was already teaching when I started the course as I'd gained experience abroad and had a degree in Linguistics (and a Masters in Education but that didn't count). I love my job.

nonline Fri 28-Oct-16 21:07:21

My local college will train you as an FE teacher if you can teach in a relevant vocational subject. Or you could work as learning support?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now