To think London is not the only city?

(10 Posts)
oohlalala Fri 28-Oct-16 00:31:58

I'm not claiming to be an environmental, aviation or business expert, but watching with sone horror the governments decision to thrust another runway into an already congested city, I can't help but think that London is not the only city and why not throw a bone to another bit if the UK?!!

Not to out myself but our local airport is regularily in the news for not doing very well and we certainly don't have many major routes. We are only about 2 hours from London. It would be refreshing to see the government dip their toe out of the capital.

KC225 Fri 28-Oct-16 01:30:58

Nahhhhh, it's London.

EstelleRoberts Fri 28-Oct-16 01:34:34

You can have it, with pleasure. I will be lying down in front of the bulldozers if it ever comes to fruition.

MrHannahSnell Fri 28-Oct-16 01:35:17

It is. It really, really is.

SallyR0se Fri 28-Oct-16 01:41:45

The first thing I wanted to do after school was move to London. And it was brilliant. Didn't settle down there, though...

FabFiveFreddie Fri 28-Oct-16 01:49:01

2 hours? Isn't that the Channel?

wasonthelist Fri 28-Oct-16 01:52:50

YANBU to mention how ridiculously London (and SE England) centric the UK is.

YABU to ask for more planes to be landing locally to you. We don't need the extra traffic and it will have limited value to any ordinary folk here and massive drawbacks.

notangelinajolie Fri 28-Oct-16 01:59:45

Contrary to popular belief London is not the centre of the universe. It really isn't.

user1472419718 Fri 28-Oct-16 06:38:07

I think it's a supply demand thing.

I suspect that most people flying into London are either here on business, or are tourists.

There are probably more businesses (particularly ones that do lots of international business) in London and the South-East than in other UK smaller cities, and people don't want a long journey to the office after their flight.

Tourists like to visit London (and the South-East e.g. Cambridge), and want to travel to a local airport.

TheNaze73 Fri 28-Oct-16 07:42:43

It's all about supply & demand. Why would they want to build another runway, 2 hours from London? Land at X & then shuttle bus, people down to London??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now