To have closed the door on my neighbour

(31 Posts)
creepingitreal Thu 27-Oct-16 23:14:43

I've been mulling this over for a few days.

I was in a car cash several days ago. Fine but just a bit shaken up. Had to go out that evening after the crash and when I returned home about half 9 it was raining and dark. I parked the car and ran over to the house. Two neighbours whom I don't know very well we're in deep conversation with each other and it sounded serious (they are quite close) and I ran past them just desperate To get out the rain and into the house. I smiled at the woman who was facing me (not wanting to interupt) and as I got to my front door the neighbour who had her back to me started shouting at me for not saying hello to her. I don't really know this woman but she seems to run other neighbours up the wrong way and at times acts very strangely like she's spaced out. I do say hello when faced directly with her but wouldn't shout across the street to her if that makes sense.

I told her to leave me alone and shut the door behind me. Would you all have done the same? I feel terrible like I've been ignoring this woman but I honestly don't know her that well or see her very often and wouldn't have interrupted their conversation.

Lorelei76 Thu 27-Oct-16 23:17:08

She was being an arse, don't worry, there's a million reasons someone might dash inside quickly
Glad you're okay flowers

MapMyMum Thu 27-Oct-16 23:23:16

YANBU. Try not to let her get inside your brain. This happened a few days ago, youd had a shite day and werent up for the ridiculousness of a eoman you dont even know....so an Anna and let it go flowers

MapMyMum Thu 27-Oct-16 23:23:51

Sorry for all the typos hmm

creepingitreal Thu 27-Oct-16 23:25:43

Thanks ladies.

It was just unexpected to be shouted at in the pissing rain and in the dark! I don't even know why they were standing in it.

I think I'll be giving her a wide berth from now on confused

Eevee77 Thu 27-Oct-16 23:26:22

Sounds like she has an attitude problem. YANBU

AldrinJustice Thu 27-Oct-16 23:27:40

Ignore her OP, you'lol be happier

AldrinJustice Thu 27-Oct-16 23:27:48

You'll*

IMissGrannyW Thu 27-Oct-16 23:44:28

The fact it was raining trumps everything... You were just trying to get in out of the rain.

Let it go (ooo.... feel a song coming on!)

WorraLiberty Fri 28-Oct-16 00:01:56

What words did she shout?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 28-Oct-16 00:04:46

I think I'd have probably just said a quick hello as I passed rather than not say anything.

Hope you feel better soonsmile

ThereIsNoFelange Fri 28-Oct-16 00:19:15

I think actually shouting leave me alone was a bit odd/melodramatic/rude. Sorry OP. There was nothing wrong with what you did before it, though. Chance meetings are awkward.

a8mint Fri 28-Oct-16 00:30:22

Maybe she spoke and you didn't hear then called out agood natured ' oh are you ignoring me' .
Telling her to leave you alone was rude and weird

creepingitreal Fri 28-Oct-16 07:14:35

a8 and shouting at someone in the street wasn't rude? hmm

KinkyAfro Fri 28-Oct-16 07:36:23

She sounds like a dicky but your leave me alone comment was a bit strange and OTT! I'd have simply ignored her

KinkyAfro Fri 28-Oct-16 07:36:38

*dick

FabulouslyGlamourousFerret Fri 28-Oct-16 07:37:17

Depends what she 'shouted' across the road!

'Hey, are you not saying hello this evening' ywbu

'Oi thundercunt, say hello you rude cow' ywNbu.

Hope that helps wink

Maraschinocherry Fri 28-Oct-16 07:48:29

I agree with a8mint. As above, I would have just said "hello" whilst running past.

In your case, when the woman shouted, you could have just raised your hand by saying "hello" from where you were and go inside. End of the story. The fact that it bothers you so much you are still thinking about it several days later and you post on an internet forum does indicate you know you were wrong. Most of us would have completely forgotten the (non) incident once the door was closed.

abbsismyhero Fri 28-Oct-16 07:53:29

Last time someone yelled at me for ignoring them I agreed with them and ran off blush we are still friends it was pissing it down and I was in a rush!

Maraschinocherry Fri 28-Oct-16 07:56:08

How much do we bet this thread is going to be deleted to "protect the OP privacy" if more people agreeing with her don't come along fast grin

PirateCatOvenGloveOption Fri 28-Oct-16 08:11:17

Did you actually say, "leave me alone" ? If you barely know her, that was a bit rude I would say.

LynetteScavo Fri 28-Oct-16 08:19:11

Why were two neighbours standing outside chatting in the rain?

How is the car crash relevant?

Why bother shouting back? I would have just shut the door.

confusedconfusedconfused

ChaosTrulyReigns Fri 28-Oct-16 08:27:02

It's all a bit odd.

Put it down to experience and don't think about it any longer.

Sorry about the crash, hope you're recovering well.

NavyandWhite Fri 28-Oct-16 08:31:03

Oddness abound.

unlucky83 Fri 28-Oct-16 08:31:12

I would try and see her again and explain.
My nightmare neighbour thought I was snubbing him - because I didn't like him/was too good for him or something - so he started doing things to get my attention. By the time I found that out things had gone past the possible to just rub along stage.
( I really wasn't - just busy/distracted or trying to polite not looking in his back garden)
Having said that your (hysterical) 'just leave me alone' would make a ration person think you'd had bad news/ something bad had happened and be understanding (although honestly my nightmare neighbour wasn't rational! -so people like that who are eager to take offence do exist)
Just after a relation died I was walking into the house just holding it together and saw my nice neighbour - I couldn't open my mouth cos I knew I would break down. I explained later but she (as a rational person) hadn't been offended...knew I was upset about something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now