about the jobcentre?

(24 Posts)
Mildinsanity Thu 27-Oct-16 20:33:21

My DP and I work full time, my kids dad doesnt work and signs on.
Its the school holidays I have to work so the parent who doesnt work can have the children because why the hell should I have to take time off when one parent is already sitting on their arse?

Ive now been told he isnt allowed to take the children with him to sign on (he signs everyday) so Im expected to take the time off (not bloody likely).
Apparently the jobcentre says because he isnt a live in parent and doesnt recieve their child benefit he has no parental responsiblity... What the hell?

He is on the birth certificate he has parental responsibilty.

Is he spinning me a line here?

Not a thread about him not working, not interested in the whole arguement he is a lazy arsehole end of.

I have no alternative childcare as eldest is SN and we have no friends locally.
My dad would normally help but my grandad died last week and he is full time caring for my grandmother who has serious illness.

Mildinsanity Thu 27-Oct-16 21:03:35

bump?

LemonSqueezy0 Thu 27-Oct-16 21:07:58

He's having you on. Children are allowed in, and can sit and wait.

Yankeetarts Thu 27-Oct-16 21:09:48

Depends on the job centre,when my sister had to sign on she wasn't allowed to take her son

MidnightVelvetthe7th Thu 27-Oct-16 21:13:34

If you know the location you could phone and ask?

averylongtimeago Thu 27-Oct-16 21:22:19

I have just checked with a close family member who works in a job centre.
He is lying, he can take the kids, no problem.

LemonSqueezy0 Thu 27-Oct-16 21:32:30

They aren't allowed to run around, and make a nuisance obviously but they are allowed in - especially over half term.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Thu 27-Oct-16 21:37:38

It sounds like he's spinning you a line. I've never seen a jobcentre that didn't have children in. If there was a no children rule, how would single parents be able to be belittled every week?

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 27-Oct-16 21:47:19

He's talking shit.

Unicorn1981 Thu 27-Oct-16 21:48:38

I've taken my daughter before and I've seen people in there with lots of kids.

PersianCatLady Thu 27-Oct-16 21:50:36

Is he spinning me a line here?
He is absolutely having you, of course children are allowed in the JCP.

Also how come he has to sign on everyday?

Is that definitely true or could he be making that up too?

Winniethepooer Thu 27-Oct-16 22:05:02

What will you do for childcare when he starts working?

Rainydayspending Thu 27-Oct-16 22:08:51

He could be asked if he's immediately available for work if he's providing childcare it can look like you're not.
Is he signing on every day or attending some awful "training" at the job centre, I believe you're expected to be available for hours (as though for work) for those.
As a single parent I wasn't eligible for JSA though, so I had to attend the job centre less frequently. But my children were ok to attend with me.

madein1995 Thu 27-Oct-16 22:14:17

Id be surprised if hes signing on every day, even the group sessions they give you arent every day, more like once in a blue moon. Kids are definitely allowed, ive seen them when ive been over there. They arent pinicky about behaviour either as the kids i saw were little shits a bit excited and not at all disciplined by their parent. Hes spinning you a line op, depending on the age of the eldest and how much other kids listen to eldest, they could be left in waiting area

Jaded2004 Thu 27-Oct-16 22:16:08

I had to attend a part of the job centre but for Esa. It was separate to the Jc but they kept booking me appointments during the school holidays and wouldn't listen when I told them I had no child care. I turned up with Ds and they went mental confused said I couldn't take a child in as they couldn't be responsible for his safety.
I guess it could depend on what department he is under, perhaps he's attending a course? Normally someone on jsa wouldn't sign every day unless there were some reason in place. You could contact the particular Jc he attends and ask their policy I suppose but they obviously won't be able to tell you details so you still won't know if any of the above apply to him.

Haffdonga Thu 27-Oct-16 22:19:43

People often have to attend the Job Centre every day these days. They are 'randomly picked' by the computer if the adviser doesn't like them . Especially if you're in a Universal Credit zone.

HelenaDove Thu 27-Oct-16 22:20:35

If he is attending every day he could be on a course which may well lead to a workfare placement.

He wont be able to take his kids with him then.

Mildinsanity Thu 27-Oct-16 22:27:35

the DC will be back at school on tuesday and my dad would be able to have them for future holidays... if he did get a job Id perhaps get maintenance to be able to pay for childcare but as I dont and the guy hasnt worked in 9 years and doesnt appear to be willing to hold a job anytime soon to help pay for it the least he can do is have them so I can afford to look after them.... after all he has parental responsibility too

Groovee Thu 27-Oct-16 22:31:49

Why is he signing on every day. It's usually once a fortnight.

ilovesooty Thu 27-Oct-16 22:33:18

If he hasn't worked for 9 years I can imagine that the job centre are toughening up on his conditionality agreement.

notangelinajolie Thu 27-Oct-16 22:39:53

Could having children with him mean he is not available for work which would affect his claim?

AyeAmarok Thu 27-Oct-16 22:43:33

He is absolutely having you on.

Does he have form for this sort of nonsense?

alltouchedout Thu 27-Oct-16 22:51:08

If he's been unemployed for 9 years he's probably on daily signing as they've intensified demands on him to try and motivate him into work. And one jcp may let you bring dc in but another might not. The issue of him not being immediately available for work if he is undertaking childcare could well be an issue, and in the culture of the benefits system today I can well imagine some dwp staff saying if you don't get the cb you can't childcare responsibilities as a reason not to comply with a direction. I'm not sure some people understand what it is like to claim benefits atm, especially if you are very long term unemployed.

millmoo Fri 28-Oct-16 08:31:58

I used to work at the jobcentre and yes you can take children with you .
If he's on the work programme , which is a private company then no he can't .
I used to sign people daily -it's used more for the long term unemployed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now