Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Me or him?

(39 Posts)
RupertCB1 Thu 27-Oct-16 10:22:05

Work in a shop on a route to a busy train station so we're busy early morning, guy comes in on the phone and comes to the counter with his purchases, I ask if he would like a bag and run through items and bag them, he pays contactless so as per the norm I ask if he would like a receipt as they don't automatically print for contactless. Man huffs into his phone and says to caller 'wait a minute, this stupid shop assistant keeps talking and I can't hear you' turns to me and says 'if I want my receipt I will ask for it, you are so rude talking over me when you can clearly see I'm on a call! Have some manners!'
I didn't reply however the person behind him huffed something about 'shop assistants and bad customer service' and then the lady behind that was very nice saying I was just doing my job etc.
I don't think I was rude, if he wanted an interrupted call then maybe he shouldn't have come to the counter?

Hercules12 Thu 27-Oct-16 10:23:28

Yanbu.

DelphiniumBlue Thu 27-Oct-16 10:25:15

He was very rude, deliberately insulting you for doing your job, refusing to talk to you directly?
I hope most of your customers are nicer.

seminakedinsomebodyelsesroom Thu 27-Oct-16 10:26:48

He was extremely rude. I try not to have any phone conversations when I'm paying for things in a shop, I think it's bad manners. If someone was standing next to you talking to you, you'd break off that conversation to talk to the shop assistant wouldn't you. He's a dick. YANBU.

Onthecouchagain Thu 27-Oct-16 10:27:32

YANBU. He's was an awful person.

Iamthecatsmother Thu 27-Oct-16 10:32:51

Yanbu, horrible man

CurlyBlueberry Thu 27-Oct-16 10:33:25

YANBU, he was being a total dick.

neonrainbow Thu 27-Oct-16 10:33:45

He was rude for being on his phone in the first place.

fairgame84 Thu 27-Oct-16 10:37:00

He was rude. You did nothing wrong.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 27-Oct-16 10:38:36

Get a sign up in the shop which asks people to have the manners not to be in their phones when you're serving then. I've seen it in lot of places.

Obnoxious man, terrible manners. YANBU.

SleepFreeZone Thu 27-Oct-16 10:39:34

Bloody hell its come to something when you (the real life person standing in front of him) should be apologising for interrupting him (on his stupid bloody phone). What a wonderful society we now live in 🙄

msrisotto Thu 27-Oct-16 10:40:38

What a prick! It's rude to have a phone conversation during a transaction! Nut the other way around!

YelloDraw Thu 27-Oct-16 11:03:31

YANBU, he was being a total dick.

Exactly

NoIsAnAnswer Thu 27-Oct-16 11:12:30

Love/hate those moments

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fingers+up+meme&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDxdL03vrPAhXFAcAKHZl9DqUQAUIBygB&biw=375&bih=559&dpr=2#imgrc==_32qqDXdeqkboM%3A

Hope you did this!

NoIsAnAnswer Thu 27-Oct-16 11:13:42

Link fail.

He is bu. And a twat.

PoppyBirdOnAWire Thu 27-Oct-16 11:13:45

He was extremely rude to be on his phone at the counter. Mannerless oaf.

user1471434605 Thu 27-Oct-16 11:19:18

He was EXTREMELY rude. When I am queen of the world, I am going to make it a law that you cannot be on a mobile phone when interacting with others. It's just rude.

ovenchips Thu 27-Oct-16 11:22:42

Extremely rude. Of him.

You really need a trapdoor and lever for such arsehole customers.

MaxPepsi Thu 27-Oct-16 11:24:07

Holy fuck....I'd have had to tell him he was being the bad mannered arse hole and then wished him a nice day!

BorpBorpBorp Thu 27-Oct-16 11:24:45

YANBU. He was incredibly rude. You're a person, not a self service checkout.

ChocolateForAll Thu 27-Oct-16 11:28:03

What cuntish behaviour. Appalling. YANBU at all.

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 27-Oct-16 11:28:32

YANBU. I used to refuse to serve people on their phones - I wasn't on a till but on the deli counter. People used to come up, on their phones, not even say hello, and just point at things and expect me to serve them.

I would just say "I'll wait until you've finished your conversation" and go to the next person. It's plain rude.

thatdearoctopus Thu 27-Oct-16 11:29:20

Yanbu at all. He was extremely rude.

Console yourself by feeling even more sorry for his poor wife/girlfriend. Can't imagine he's a peach to live with.

RupertCB1 Thu 27-Oct-16 13:34:23

Thank you! My initial gut feeling was that he was the one being rude and not me but in this day and age where phones are part of daily life and used anywhere, including public places I did doubt myself for speaking to him while he was on the phone...... He comes in tomorrow I may refuse to serve him!

Idratherbeaunicorn Thu 27-Oct-16 13:36:50

YANBU
He sounds like a right melon-head!
I always make a conscious effort to come off the phone if I'm at the till, paying for a bus ticket etc...
Sorry that you had to put up with such a horrid little man!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now