Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think it was an accident?

(11 Posts)
whitless Wed 26-Oct-16 18:22:39

As the title says really..

I was out for lunch this afternoon with DP and had DS (4 months) in his car seat on a chair next to the table. DS started crying so I tried to pull the chair further towards myself and didn't have proper hold of the car seat and it toppled backwards off the chair and onto the floor. DS IS FINE! Slept through the whole thing.
Any way now DP is saying he doesn't trust me with DS and is really really angry with me.

AIBU to think it was an accident and he shouldn't be making me feel any worse than I already do?

Mozfan1 Wed 26-Oct-16 18:25:16

Of course it was an accident! It couldn't have been that traumatic if he slept through the whole thing.

He doesn't 'trust you'? What is his solution to that then? Hand the man a grip.

LIZS Wed 26-Oct-16 18:27:01

An accident yes, but a preventable one. Most car seats are not for use on chairs or raised surfaces and could be damaged by such an impact. I'm sure it won't be long before he makes a similar error if judgement though.

Ginmakesitallok Wed 26-Oct-16 18:28:57

Well yes it was an accident- but an easily avoidable one.

littlejeopardy Wed 26-Oct-16 18:30:36

How can DS be crying and sleep through the whole thing?

BackforGood Wed 26-Oct-16 18:34:16

Yes, I'm confused by him crying and sleeping through.
Generally car seats aren't designed to by put on to other chairs - you know that now, and will have learned from it.
He's probably angry because he's upset. However, all parents make mistakes / drop the baby / let baby roll off a surface / etc at some point - the key is to think why it happened and make sure it doesn't happen again.

youarenotkiddingme Wed 26-Oct-16 18:40:23

Accident.

And car seats are designed to take impact - not that id recommend throwing your child off a chair in one grin

I would perhaps get chair checked as they are meant to be replaced after an accident.

And in future put car seat on the floor!

In the meantime make the most of not being trusted - leave DS with DP and go out shopping, coffee, spa day etc - he'll soon get over it wink

Highlove Wed 26-Oct-16 19:09:08

Yes an accident. But honestly? A pretty silly one that was easily avoidable. I'd be pretty grumpy if my DH did this, although "don't trust you with" is a bit strong.

As a PP said, I'd also now be looking at whether the actual seat is still safe - I'm not sure quite what the level of impact would be before they need replacing. It's probably fine, but not the kind of thing you want to take risks with.

whitless Wed 26-Oct-16 22:34:54

DS was crying because he had lost his dummy so i put it back and he went straight back to sleep.

I know rookie mistake with car seat on the chair, we had forgotten his pram though and didn't like the fact he couldn't see us properly from the floor.

Thanks about letting me know about getting the seat checked, I will make sure I do that asap.

Eminado Wed 26-Oct-16 22:53:23

How old is baby?

Please report back when mr I don't trust you has his own parenting #fail.

JoJoSM2 Wed 26-Oct-16 23:28:20

Have you apologised to your DP? It's an accident but it could have been very serious...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now