Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To Be Exasperated by Spelling Mistakes?

(155 Posts)
DivingWithoutANet Wed 26-Oct-16 11:54:01

I can understand that once in a while spellcheck might confuse "you're" and "your", "his" and "he's", "there" and "they're" and retypes what someone wrote.

But some posts are just littered with these and other spelling mistakes with a generous sprinkling of "ur" for good measure.

Is it unreasonable to stop reading someone's post just because the spelling is awful? After all this is not a literary club so anyone can write how they wish.

JerryFerry Wed 26-Oct-16 11:56:11

Wtf with all ur capitals?

Trifleorbust Wed 26-Oct-16 11:57:06

Yes, it's mean. But you can read whatever you want.

DonkeyOaty Wed 26-Oct-16 11:57:47

It wouldn't of been tolerated in the good ole day's of youre on MN but were mor chillz now innit

Nurszilla Wed 26-Oct-16 11:58:25

K hun.

HoneyDragon Wed 26-Oct-16 11:58:28

On a prescription UANBU

On a chat forum UABU. Particularly as no poster gives a shit whether you read their post or not.

DonkeyOaty Wed 26-Oct-16 11:58:53

(That was really painful to write)

LoisWooookersonsLastNerve Wed 26-Oct-16 12:03:09

I don't like text speak but spelling and grammar doesn't bother me on a forum, I rarely proof read before I post so can't expect others to. I don't use netmums because its too txt speaky. Makes me irrationally irritated.

DoJo Wed 26-Oct-16 12:03:21

How would anyone even know you'd stopped reading, let alone know why? And given that nobody would know, why would you be unreasonable?

NeedATrim Wed 26-Oct-16 12:03:22

Theirs a pedants corner OP, wink you'll be happier over there if things like this bother you.
Ironically, I skipped over the rest of your post after reading the first paragraph - I just knew the replies would be funny.

LoisWooookersonsLastNerve Wed 26-Oct-16 12:08:39

Yes pedants corner op. Off you go.

<shuts door>

Grumpyoldblonde Wed 26-Oct-16 12:09:34

I find it more worrying than annoying that people can't spell basic words (drawer not draw, alot instead of a lot) Some of it must be down to phone autocorrect when people dash of responses but I notice in some facebook groups where the same words are used over and over due to the group topic that people simply cannot spell. That must be down to teaching methods?

Boolovessulley Wed 26-Oct-16 12:18:18

I actually like auto correct( misses point of thread).

gleam Wed 26-Oct-16 12:23:26

It's not that big of a deal (sic).

Seen recently on MN. Boak.

JoJoSM2 Wed 26-Oct-16 12:24:09

I usually type quickly, often on my phone and I do realise that my spelling and punctuation are usually pretty awful... Personally, I don't mind much given the context.

MrsJayy Wed 26-Oct-16 12:29:12

I can't find my spellcheck on my tablet blush so there will be spelling mistakes in some of my posts read them or not I really don't care enough.

This is an internet chat forum nothing more keep your exhasperation (sp) for something that actually matters.

MrsJayy Wed 26-Oct-16 12:32:23

Draw for Drawer seems to be a new word it is DRAWER i m not fussed if they cant spell but it is DRAWER

JellyBelli Wed 26-Oct-16 12:33:10

Screw dyslexics and their ham fisted attempts to fit in!

itsmine Wed 26-Oct-16 12:44:58

I've said it a thousand times, but errors do not bother me, whether spag or mn faux pas such as using silly names like hubby.

What does bother me are arrogant, shouty people who dominate what could be useful debates and accuse everyone who doesn't agree with them of being stupid wankers <you know who you are grin>

They exasperate me far more. Having said that my posts are usually littered with errors so I'm not the best judge.

Cellardoor23 Wed 26-Oct-16 12:52:43

My spelling mistakes are usually because my fingers are too fat to press the correct letter on my phone. So I will get a completely different word.

Autocorrect usually knows what I mean, not all the time though.

Grumpyoldblonde Wed 26-Oct-16 12:55:31

MrsJayy Loose for lose is another one,, very common. I don't think it can be down to dyslexia when most of the writing is fine, draw and loose for drawer and lose seem to be real sticking points for a lot of people. I do wonder why. I think it's obvious sometimes that people have dashed something off in a hurry and made slight errors, that doesn't bother me at all.

bolleauxnouveau Wed 26-Oct-16 12:57:03

My ds spelling is a bit poor but we try to tackle it, as a transferable skill I compare it to computer coding, a computer might not realise what you meant if you mistype an instruction.

Otoh we're not all planning to be programmers.

I'm not sure how dyslexia manifests itself, what it's like to not be able to scan or make sense of numbers or letters, but I tick a lot of Aspergers boxes and people are a mystery to me instead.

Yanbu, we all get wound up by something, have a cup of tea and a nice sit down, or step away from mn. hth

ComfortingKormaBalls Wed 26-Oct-16 12:57:37

I appreciate people rush to respond and keep up with threads but I do wish they would take the time to proof read their subject titles

QuiteLikely5 Wed 26-Oct-16 12:58:46

Your life must be great if this is all you have to grumble about

ArmySal Wed 26-Oct-16 13:03:07

YABU for being exasperated over it.

YABU for using capitals for all the words in your title, barring one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now