Talk

Advanced search

not to meet up with a friend of 25 years?

(4 Posts)
FionaGatwick Tue 25-Oct-16 21:17:32

My friend from another country will be in town and wanting to meet.

We still talk, but I really find her self-righteous, judgmental, and boastful sometimes. More of humble brags about her career - "Ugh, I need to go to X country -- too much work!". And lots of complaints about people who are higher in position than her. Basically she means she's the best in that whole organisation and it's unfair how there are people above her in hierarchy etc.

It's easier for me to stand her when we only communicate online because then I have control on whether to reply or not. I used to be an ear, but have learned to ignore or change the subject when it comes up.

I now dread meeting up with her.

However, it will be weird if we don't, seeing as we're childhood friends.

What would you do?

FinallyHere Tue 25-Oct-16 21:19:34

I'd give it a go, incase she is different in real life. Maybe arrange something that is time bound, say a coffee rather than a meal, then see how it goes.

RiverTam Tue 25-Oct-16 21:20:37

You have maintained this friendship, though, and there must be more of a reason than 'were childhood friends'. Childhood friends who don't like each other don't stay in contact for that long.

If you want to continue the friendship then meet her (it'll be what, a couple of hours out of your life?). If you don't then don't.

FionaGatwick Tue 25-Oct-16 21:21:27

We know each other in real life. Just I moved to another country so our communication in recent years has been purely online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now