Talk

Advanced search

AIBsuperU to want a house with a nuclear fallout shelter?

(164 Posts)
WeArePregnant11 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:19:31

Uhm, yeah, that's basically the whole question.

helpimitchy Tue 25-Oct-16 20:23:35

YABU

The entire infrastructure of the planet would disintegrate in the event of a nuclear war. There would be nothing worth living for and you'd starve or freeze to death eventually. Survivors may even try to eat you alive if they're in a bad enough way.

You'd be better off popping your clogs once the fun starts tbh smile

Mumoftwoyoungkids Tue 25-Oct-16 20:24:37

Agre. Better to just go quick.

WeArePregnant11 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:26:49

Well, I grew up in house(s) having one... and one being super near by.

Never thought about it. But now that I'm pregnant I'm suddenly incredibly concerned.... confused

NapoleonsNose Tue 25-Oct-16 20:31:30

YABU. Why would you want to survive a nuclear war? It would be awful. Watch 'When the Wind Blows' or 'Threads' and then see how you feel about a fallout shelter.

helpimitchy Tue 25-Oct-16 20:31:42

There probably won't be a nuclear war. I lived through a worse level of threat during the 80s and am still here to tell the tale.

I suppose it would be a bit of a shame if we were attacked, but there's literally nothing you could do to make adequate arrangements for such an event.

bertsdinner Tue 25-Oct-16 20:33:10

No point. What if you are away from home and we get bombed, and can't get to your shelter?

legotits Tue 25-Oct-16 20:33:29

M.A.D.

Nothing doing, no point worrying wine

RhiWrites Tue 25-Oct-16 20:34:55

If you live near a military target it won't help. But others are right, you don't want to survive a nuclear holocaust.

AcrossthePond55 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:36:58

The 'shelters of yore' were purely a PR gimmick to make people think they had a chance of surviving a nuclear holocaust. Unless you had a set up like NORAD's Cheyenne Mountain, you don't stand a chance.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyenne_Mountain_Complex

Pregnancy is a time of wonderful optimism as well as great fears. It's normal that you are incredibly concerned. But remember that the likelihood of a nuclear event is practically nil. Every generation feels the 'end is nigh'. My mum used to tell me that her mother said 'Oh, I'm so glad I'm not raising children in this day and age' when we were small. My mother said the same to me when mine were little. And although I don't have grandchildren I've thought the same about young parents these days.

Things will be fine. You'll raise your children in safety and security.

foresttrees2 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:37:11

How many houses have something like that? This had never occurred to me as something to look for!

SpeckledyBanana Tue 25-Oct-16 20:37:23

YABU because I thought this thread was going to have a Rightmove link to a house with a bunker.

helpimitchy Tue 25-Oct-16 20:38:04

No point. What if you are away from home and we get bombed, and can't get to your shelter?

Good point. You could be in Tescos when it happened - at least you'd have a bit of food to eat for a wee while - or down the bank - money would be pointless, so that wouldn't be so good.

The population would be catapulted back to the Stone Age, only they'd be sicker and more angry confused

Costacoffeeplease Tue 25-Oct-16 20:39:07

Is rather be right under the bomb tbh

Costacoffeeplease Tue 25-Oct-16 20:39:20

I'd rather...

WeArePregnant11 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:40:51

forest

In the country I grew up every multiple aparetement building had one. Family homes had to build one or pay a certain amount of money in exchange for needing space in a communal one...

legotits Tue 25-Oct-16 20:42:05

Me too Costa
These events bring the worst kind of nob heads out.
Fuck battling a nuclear winter just to end up on a parish committee.

I know when to bow out.

WeArePregnant11 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:42:07

They still have them, btw.

In my home country the situation was evaluated in... 2005 and they decided the fakloutshelter regulations had to be kept.

And that they could be useful in other events as well.

YorkieDorkie Tue 25-Oct-16 20:42:14

Yep I'm with costa... you'd find me directly under the bomb in that situation!

Yoarchie Tue 25-Oct-16 20:44:14

OP if you are the only survivor of a nuke or something like that, you'll have a crap life. No friends (all nuked), no fun, no anything. Better to be nuked with everyone else IMO.

steff13 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:47:29

If I were house hunting and found one that had a bomb shelter, I'd be super excited and it would be part of my decision making. But I wouldn't build one at my existing house or purposely seek one out.

NapoleonsNose Tue 25-Oct-16 20:48:04

My DF had the right idea. In the event of a four minute warning he said he was going to pour himself a very large Scotch, grab a deckchair and sit in the garden and wait for nuclear Armageddon.

ClashCityRocker Tue 25-Oct-16 20:50:34

Wouldn't you just die a horrific fairly slow death upon resurfacing?

Threepineapples Tue 25-Oct-16 20:51:43

Go and visit one of the decommissioned nuclear bunkers (there's one in Essex for eg) - I wouldn't even want to survive in one of those let alone a tiny one in my house

WeArePregnant11 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:52:09

I mean, I wish there were public shelters in the UK as well? There also great in the case of earthquakes, fires etc...

I'm just feeling anxious because our current home doesn't have one. And that none of the homes we were shown had one either.

I mean, I've always insisted on food and water storage etc. But Idk.

No shelter, no guns.... I've never worried about that. And now that I'm pregnant it's driving me crazy!! It has been driving me crazy the past week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now