Talk

Advanced search

Never free to do kids activities

(13 Posts)
pumpkinpumkin Tue 25-Oct-16 20:17:54

To be slightly pee'd off with friends with DC the same as age mine that won't do any child related activities. I'm talking going to the park together or swimming, we always invite them to different things, they say no as one of them is always out getting haircut/nails done or something similar. So their DC hardly ever do kids activities and they make us feel like we are a bit looney for doing kids things with our kids hmm the reasoning is 'sure they won't remember so what's the point'

It's not that they are avoiding us as they are always free for dinner or going for a few drinks etc at the drop of a hat.

Smartleatherbag Tue 25-Oct-16 20:20:34

What age are the children?

OutDamnedWind Tue 25-Oct-16 20:25:09

Different strokes for different folks and all that. Stop asking them.

arethereanyleftatall Tue 25-Oct-16 20:25:32

Depends on the ages of the kids I guess. If they're 4 and happy playing with toys, it doesn't matter.
But as they get older I think it does matter.
Dd is about to turn 8, and for her birthday, there's all sorts of stuff to do 'from 8'. But her best friend can't do any of them - can't roller skate, can't ice skate, can't ride well enough for pump track, can't swim well enough for inflatables..etc
I think sometimes parents don't think about it, then suddenly realise everyone else can do all sorts of things their kid can't.

farfarawayfromhome Tue 25-Oct-16 20:30:07

Maybe they're just not that into you.

NerrSnerr Tue 25-Oct-16 20:33:43

Let them bring up their children how they see fit as you do yours.

pumpkinpumkin Tue 25-Oct-16 20:52:17

Yes the thought did cross my mind they just aren't that in to me grin but they are free for all manner of adult activities just not kids ones.

Their DC are 6 & 3. It's all different kinds of activities like a children's play or a visit to a theme park. I just feel sad their oldest has never been to the cinema or been to see a play or been to a local swimming pool so invite them just in case plus they are my friends so do enjoy their company.

arethereanyleftatall Tue 25-Oct-16 21:06:39

They might think you're the looney ones, if both parents go to a purely child's activity. I never get that. if only one adult is required, dh and I take turns for who gets the time 'off'.
For the cinema, maybe you could take their dc if you're feeling sad for them?

Mumzypopz Tue 25-Oct-16 21:06:46

I've come to the conclusion that some people just don't like taking their kids out anywhere....totally agree it's different strokes for different folks, but I do feel a tiny bit sad that their kids aren't seeing as much of the world as mine do. At a parents evening once the teacher said to me "well, we know you take your ds out a lot, he's always talking about the different places he's been to". In comparison, my neighbours kids seem to not go anywhere.

Mumzypopz Tue 25-Oct-16 21:20:52

I also once knew someone who had never been out of their own home town....very sad

Smartleatherbag Tue 25-Oct-16 21:27:18

I agree with you that it's a shame. Some people just don't like kids, even though they have love for them.

Mumzypopz Tue 25-Oct-16 21:44:27

I often wonder if kids who never get taken anywhere grow up desperate to travel or whether any wanderlust is squashed out of them and they become frightened to go anywhere.

user1472419718 Tue 25-Oct-16 22:17:55

Maybe they are just into different things to you, or want different experiences for their children.

Not sure that having never seen a play, or having been to the cinema really matters when you're 6 to be honest, some children that age would struggle to sit through a performance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now