Talk

Advanced search

To think that friend shouldn't fly first class knowing the rest of us can't

(290 Posts)
AhNowTed Tue 25-Oct-16 17:44:36

So, 4 friends travelling long haul flight for 2 week holiday. Well-off friend announces she's going first class, on the same flight. No way can the rest of us afford it.

AIBU

LHReturns Tue 25-Oct-16 17:46:29

I would never do that.

If it was that big an issue (tho cannot imagine why) I would make an excuse to get a different flight so it wasn't rubbed in anyone's face.

Mozfan1 Tue 25-Oct-16 17:47:14

Why would she want to be on her own? That's wierd.

Let her on with it, silly mare.

YANBU.

benbry Tue 25-Oct-16 17:47:40

Is she slumming it when she gets there, or staying in a different hotel?

Wolfiefan Tue 25-Oct-16 17:48:53

How long haul? If I could afford one of those bed type seats on a flight to the other side of the world then I would. But seems antisocial.

PugBug Tue 25-Oct-16 17:49:02

I would think that my friend wasn't that interested in it being a group holiday.

Friend is of course perfectly entitled to fly whatever class they like/can afford, but why on earth would anyone want to do that if everyone else was going to be in economy. It wouldn't fill me with high hopes about the rest of the trip.

AppleMagic Tue 25-Oct-16 17:49:07

I don't think I'd have a problem with this as the other three of you will be together. I think it would be bad if three of you were in FC and one in economy.

IvyWall Tue 25-Oct-16 17:49:19

It wouldn't bother me at all. Flying is a necessary evil to me and it is definitely more pleasant in business class. (Haven't flown first class)

Lovelybangers Tue 25-Oct-16 17:49:44

Ooh no.. That's a bit off.

If she is so wealthy perhaps she could bump you all up to first. grin

TallulahBetty Tue 25-Oct-16 17:50:54

Let her crack on. She'll be the one regretting it when she's there on her own and the 3 of you are together having a giggle and enjoying yourselves confused

AppleMagic Tue 25-Oct-16 17:50:59

Its 18-24hrs or so max out of a two week holiday.

DeleteOrDecay Tue 25-Oct-16 17:51:00

YANBU, she is well within her rights to choose first class but its a bit off and could set a precedent for the rest of the holiday. Surely part of the fun is travelling together too?

HanYOLO Tue 25-Oct-16 17:51:02

pfft
so what

idontlikealdi Tue 25-Oct-16 17:51:34

YABU - she can afford it so why not?

mycatstares Tue 25-Oct-16 17:51:45

If she wants to be more comfortable on a long flight then I dont blame her. It's not like someone's going to be left in economy on their own anyway.

What's the flight length?

BewtySkoolDropowt Tue 25-Oct-16 17:52:25

It wouldn't bother me.

Well, I'd wish it was me, but you know, other than that...

But then I'd have the idea of being so close to people I know that aren't family for the whole duration of a long haul flight, I need my own space - which you don't get on a flight.

Arfarfanarf Tue 25-Oct-16 17:52:39

I wouldnt do it because I'd feel too guilty but logically does it really matter? It's just the flight, you'll be enjoying spending time together on the holiday. It's not worth saying anything.
Of course if she's smug about it then that's not on.

mando12345 Tue 25-Oct-16 17:53:06

It wouldn't bother me too much, I would let it go. It would be a completely different matter if she left you on your own to fly.

LHReturns Tue 25-Oct-16 17:53:16

Typical long haul flight would be about £1000 in economy and more like £6000 in First.

In my view, to do this is totally at odds with a group of friends going on holiday together.

I have bought my own seats in First before as a big treat - I would never do it when friends were in another section.

areyoubeingserviced Tue 25-Oct-16 17:53:27

I don't blame her tbh. However, it is a tad anti social.

pasturesgreen Tue 25-Oct-16 17:53:37

It wouldn't fill me with high hopes about the rest of the trip

This. Two weeks away with this sort of friend seem a rather long time.

T0ddlerSlave Tue 25-Oct-16 17:53:39

I guess that's her choice. I'd be more accepting if she had issues like a fear of flying or medical issues exacerbated by limited space BUT it's her holiday. Yes she has agreed to spend it with you, which she is for the most part, and if she wants to pay for 1st class it's her choice.

NerrSnerr Tue 25-Oct-16 17:54:02

I wouldn't have a problem with this at all. I can never afford first or business but would pay for premium economy on a long flight if I could. It's only the flight, not like she's staying in a different hotel or something.

GinAndOnIt Tue 25-Oct-16 17:54:07

Depends how you see the flight I suppose. I see travelling as something to be tolerated to get to destination for holiday to begin, so sitting alone in first would be heaven. If she's rubbing it in faces, or was leaving one person on their own, then fair enough to be miffed.

Bruce02 Tue 25-Oct-16 17:54:15

I don't see the problem myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now