Talk

Advanced search

To throw out my DCs art?

(25 Posts)
mumtomaxwell Tue 25-Oct-16 15:25:43

A few similar threads today... but I'm wondering how much of your children's artwork do you keep?? I have 3 young children (8, 8 and 4) and they produce several pictures/paintings each day!! Calming down a bit for the older 2 who are in yr4 but I've got several boxes of this stuff in the garage and am not sure why!! How do you decide what to keep and what to throw out? And how/where do you store it?

Boundaries Tue 25-Oct-16 15:34:58

Oh jees...are you meant to keep it 😮

Wrinklytights Tue 25-Oct-16 15:38:16

Just go through and choose the special ones and chuck the rest. Why would you want to keep all of it? You'll probably never look at it. We frame our kids work for a bit and then replace. I've kept a few special one but the rest gets binned (not in front of the kids obvs)

Gatehouse77 Tue 25-Oct-16 16:14:53

I'm pretty ruthless and only keep the good ones (subjective, I know!) or those with a specific sentiment.
Every now and again I'll go through it and whittle it down further.

Rollonbedtime7pm Tue 25-Oct-16 16:15:10

This is what digital cameras are for - take photos, chuck the art out! grin

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 25-Oct-16 16:16:10

We have a box that gradually gets filled up. When it's full, we go through it and keep a few. The rest get recycled.

Waltermittythesequel Tue 25-Oct-16 16:16:20

I throw all of it.

Fuck that.

I love them. I'm proud of them. I have lots of gorgeous photos of their art work. That's enough.

Frankiecatmoscow Tue 25-Oct-16 16:26:48

Pre school paintings make great wrapping paper for presents for family members. !!! That way you don't need to feel guilty about throwing them away

Pineapplemilkshake Tue 25-Oct-16 16:35:45

I've never thrown out anything my DS made blush

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm
a bit of a hoarder. I've been following Kon Mari trying to get inspired to make a start on my house.... Thank God I only have one child!

CatsTats Tue 25-Oct-16 16:36:47

I don't keep it, it goes in the bin.

Boysnme Tue 25-Oct-16 19:33:02

Photos then bucket is the way for us!

fc301 Tue 25-Oct-16 19:37:33

Photos, then file under B (bin), unless it's really precious.
Most of it is what I call process art anyway i.e., the kid enjoys making it but NEVER looks at it again.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Tue 25-Oct-16 19:39:07

Special pile of "art" on the side. It miraculously never got beyond a certain size. Of course we had the odd awkward conversation "It's in the recycling? Oh dear silly mummy"

If I kept everything they created my house would be swamped in less than a month.

Pineapplemilkshake Wow! Where do you keep it? What do you use it for? Do you sit down and browse through it instead of watching TV or something? Is it not a fire hazard? And dust hazard? And trip hazard? And where-the-fuck-is-there-a-clear-surface-in-this-house hazard?

StrawbRhi Tue 25-Oct-16 19:47:33

This struck a chord with this household...

Believeitornot Tue 25-Oct-16 19:49:14

I've thrown it away. Kept the odd bit and put stuff on the wall.

I see their work as practice runs until they produce their final master pieces grin

NoTractorsAtTheTable Tue 25-Oct-16 19:52:20

Every now and again, we take great delight in posting a package of artwork to elderly relatives. They love getting post, even better if it has glitter on it, so the DCs happily oblige wink

winkywinkola Tue 25-Oct-16 19:52:26

I take photos of their best ones and get the images made into little fridge magnets.

formerbabe Tue 25-Oct-16 19:53:01

I keep the odd bit but 99.9% goes in the bin. If I didn't, I'd be living in one of those hoarders houses you see on TV.

Pineapplemilkshake Tue 25-Oct-16 21:34:38

Runrabbit grin

I know it sounds crazy! It's all in boxes in my study, I'm trying to get round to taking photos of it all

MrGrumpy01 Tue 25-Oct-16 22:55:35

We save some, but we still have too much. I will go through it again and whittle it right down. At the moment we try to keep a folscap folder for each school year but with 3 children it is starting to stack up.

I was at my parents this weekend and they gave me some craft I made, I am not quite sure what to do with it. I'm not over joyous that they kept it and had it not appeared I would never have remembered it, but can't quite throw it away.

I never take photos, I don't take photos of lego creations and I see art work as the same ilk. And by art we are talking a scribble on a page, I'm not sure they will be over joyed to be handed that in 20 years time.

JustAnotherFopar Tue 25-Oct-16 23:03:12

I seem to keep everything my ds makes. I have 2 big plastic boxes in the lost, 1 is birth/nursery and the other is Reception/Yr1. Sometimes he used to just scribble on a page and that doesn't get stored but the vast majority does.
I lost my DM so feel sad that I can't ask stuff about my past etc so I kind of vowed that I'd keep everything for my ds so when I am gone he'll still have all of his stuff. It's probably a bit sad but he can decide what to do with it when he's older 😀

JustAnotherFopar Tue 25-Oct-16 23:03:50

In the loft not lost!

BoboBunnyH0p Tue 25-Oct-16 23:10:32

I've kept some of my DC art work, I would never chuck it all out because as an adult I feel really sad that my parents kept non of my drawings.
My aunt on the other hand kept some of the pictures and letters I sent while she was working away and I was really touched by this.

ImissGrannyW Tue 25-Oct-16 23:25:25

I am a hoarder.

Plus, I can't remember my mum ever keeping or displaying anything I created (I'm crap at art).

It took me many years to produce my one DD. I keep everything, because I keep expecting to have it taken away from me.... I'm haunted by thinking how crap I'd feel if she died and I'd thrown away something she produced.

Paranoid and ridiculous I know (I hope) I am. But... fuck... if anything ever happened to her, I'd want to hang onto something she was proud of having created, and know she knew I celebrated it.

FeelingSmurfy Wed 26-Oct-16 01:37:49

Keep some
Give some to relatives/godparents ( If they like that sort of thing )
Take photos of some and get a photobook made every year or so
Bin some

I love it when my parents are sorting a drawer out or something and they show me something I made them that they have just found. I like seeing something that child me created, and I love the feeling I get knowing that it was special to them when I gave it to them and is still special now. They have stuff in the loft etc, but it's the personal ones that they have kept in personal drawers, work bags, handbags etc that I love

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now