To want to make this better?

(4 Posts)
Salsapal Tue 25-Oct-16 00:06:39

New work friend and I have known each other about five weeks. All going fine and we gossiped about various things etc, I liked and do like her... Stuoidly though I mentioned tipsily once that I found someone at work attractive and she has teased me about him since, lightheartedly. I don't mind this but I do mind it when he's there; to me that crosses the line.

The other day she teased me in his earshot (second time in a few days this had happened, I asked her the first time not to do it) and I sent her a polite message basyxally asking her not to do it as I thought it made me look unprofessional and a bit silly. I was really polite but not v jokey and poss a bit stern?

I think she feels told off now though and maybe like I'm no fun?! She has noticeably cooled a bit towards me and now I feel like I could/should have approached it in a different way. We are going to be spending a lot of time together over the next few months so I don't want to make things worse - just keep them how they were before!! I'm acting exactly the same to her but I feel bad. Urgh.

Mistletoekids Tue 25-Oct-16 00:10:08

You sound like you've done all the right things

I'd Just keep acting the same and either she'll get over it or she won't

If she doesn't then you can console yourself with fact she's clearly not someone who would make a great friend

ImissGrannyW Tue 25-Oct-16 00:10:17

I would keep work as work and friendship as friendship (ie, be friendly to her, but keep it professional) until you know her well enough to trust her.

Not meaning to be harsh, but.... You're work colleagues, not kids at school, so suggest you find a good working relationship, and if friendship comes after that then it's a bonus.

TheCatsMother99 Tue 25-Oct-16 00:11:29

Am I getting de ja vu? I swear you posted the same thing a few days ago?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now