Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - creepy box in attic

(399 Posts)
LittleSausageFingers Mon 24-Oct-16 19:52:30

DH and I bought our first home, which is 100 or so years old, last year. It has a partially boarded attic, and in the attic is a fairly big metal box addressed to someone in New York. It looks really old, old fashioned handwriting on the address label, super dusty like it's been there a long time.

We're not particularly "woo", but we've seen our fair share of horror movies, including those involving boxes in attics (Sinister, anyone?) and we weren't really keen to open it. Plus, I was 9 months pregnant when we moved in and we had other things to do, like build a million boxes of Ikea furniture.

Our friends (mostly) think we're mad for not opening it. One of them researched the name on the box and came up with an old newspaper clipping saying that the person died in an asylum from a religious furvour! Obviously it's probably a coincidence, but date wise it would fit with when the house was first built.

I must admit that my main reason for not wanting to open it is that it's dirty as fuck and i don't want to have to clean up all the mess involved in getting it down! My DH doesn't want to open it because he is actually scared of ghosts (has been known to scare himself while telling a made up ghost story hmm).

The house doesn't feel haunted or anything like that, but it has a couple of weird quirks that freak us out a bit, e.g. the spare bedroom door (loft hatch is in this room) sticks for no obvious reason and you can get stuck in there. We've also both seen a shadow move under a door looking out into the hallway from the nursery.

So WWYD about the box? Open or leave it?

LittleSausageFingers Mon 24-Oct-16 19:53:27

Pic of the box

Boundaries Mon 24-Oct-16 19:54:03

Open it! How exciting! Then report back.

RegTheMonkey1 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:54:18

Open it, definitely! There could be all kinds of interesting stuff in there!

incogKNEEto Mon 24-Oct-16 19:55:01

Open it so l can live vicariously through your trepidation grin

incogKNEEto Mon 24-Oct-16 19:55:11

Please grin

WeirdAndPissedOff Mon 24-Oct-16 19:55:27

Burn it. grin

I would be curious at least, though. Realistically nothing "woo" will come of it, right?

CupofTeaTime Mon 24-Oct-16 19:55:32

I'd sell up and move!!!! Fuck that! A shadow under the door!!!! (I'm a big wimp and can't watch or listen to or read anything slightly scary tho so I may be overreacting!)

ImperialBlether Mon 24-Oct-16 19:55:41

Yes open it!

Msqueen33 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:55:42

Please open it! I love a good mystery

Sweetdreamsaremadeofthis Mon 24-Oct-16 19:56:24

Open it op you need to let us know what you find in it

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 24-Oct-16 19:56:30

How have you not opened it already...

Open it now and put up photos

EllieHandMeDownBaby Mon 24-Oct-16 19:56:37

Definitely open the box! Imagine the history in there, just waiting to be told!!
Maybe have a priest bless it first just in case?! 🤔

Bailey101 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:56:41

OMG get it open!!! How can you have lived with it for months and not opened it?!!?!??

oldlaundbooth Mon 24-Oct-16 19:57:36

Amazing thlgrin Just in time for Halloween!

Open it of course.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Mon 24-Oct-16 19:57:50

I'd open it!

Could you get in touch with a local museum when you do?

That way, you could offer to let them open it in the museum, saving you the mess, satisfying your curiosity, and ensuring that the demon entity contained within devours the museum curator's soul and not yours!

ItsJustNotRight Mon 24-Oct-16 19:57:57

Don't open it until next Monday

charliedontsurf Mon 24-Oct-16 19:58:20

Please can we have a live opening a creepy old haunted box thread?

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 24-Oct-16 19:58:22

I'd have bought the house just so I could open the box!

O
P
E
N

I
T

Laiste Mon 24-Oct-16 19:58:28

I'd want to open it outside the house.

Not quite sure why!

Lolly86 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:58:28

Open it!

Smidge001 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:58:43

Oh no - not another open the safe thread....!!! Did we ever get a resolution on that one?

MOIST Mon 24-Oct-16 19:58:49

Open it. But have a big net and a rounders bat handy.

OhhBetty Mon 24-Oct-16 19:58:54

I couldn't not open it!
And now I need you to open it so you can tell us all what's inside!

Arfarfanarf Mon 24-Oct-16 19:59:06

Ghosts arent real.
Open the bloody thing 😁

Or I'll come pick it up and open it for you if your husband is just a wickle too frightened. 😂

It'll have papers in it i bet. It'll be interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now