Talk

Advanced search

To not seek immediate medical attention for chest pain?

(36 Posts)
beggingbehind Mon 24-Oct-16 19:35:36

I know people will probably say A&E. But...
I've been having chest pain, that quite painful for last hour it's coming and going though and pressing on it helps slightly. Have taken pain killers half an hour ago. No other symptoms, it's coming and going and not to server pain. Am in under reacting or do I wait and see GP. I don't know. Most people say if your experiencing chest pain go and see someone but it doesn't seem serious iyswim. Have DCs home on own tonight as well! Just looking for support

Trifleorbust Mon 24-Oct-16 19:37:38

Sounds potentially serious to me. Every chance it isn't, but is that a chance you want to take? Unless you know you have strained a muscle or have a chest infection, this is unexplained chest pain - seek medical attention.

JosephineMaynard Mon 24-Oct-16 19:47:58

A vote for A&E here. It may turn out to be nothing serious, but that's really something for the doctors to determine. And if it is serious, better to get seen sooner rather than later.

Also, have you called 111 for advice? They're probably better placed to advise than random people on the internet.

AnneGables Mon 24-Oct-16 19:52:09

Do you feel hot, cold, clammy?

I had sudden chest pain, that pressing on helped a bit, it turned out to be a pulmonary embolism.

Best to at least ring 111 for advice, awful if something happened and you're alone with your dc. It's obviously bothering you enough to post about, so make the call.

abbsismyhero Mon 24-Oct-16 19:53:58

i was usually told to take gaviscon and see if that fixes it within a few minutes if not ring in but i have a history of acid indigestion and i have a history of sitting badly and crunching my chest muscles

can you say the same?

dont risk it the quicker you call the quicker you can be reassured and tell us all we were wrong

beggingbehind Mon 24-Oct-16 19:54:52

But if I phone 111 they will send an ambulance as its a 'red flag' it's not servers pain don't feel hot or clammy

Grumpyoldblonde Mon 24-Oct-16 19:55:52

Please at least call 111 for advice.

ghostyslovesheep Mon 24-Oct-16 19:56:43

no they wont - I had chest pain and was made an apt with an out of hours GP - he did send me to A+E where I was kept over night - tests showed it was muscle related and not my heart - they won't blue light you for an ache with no other symptoms

MOIST Mon 24-Oct-16 19:56:55

Have you had similar before?

Do you get reflux/indigestion? Is it the same?

You are worried enough to ask ransoms on the internet. Phone 111. Then phone a friend to babysit.

Heychickadee Mon 24-Oct-16 19:58:37

Took my brother to a walk in centre a few weeks ago with chest pain, they did a ECG to rule out cardiac stuff and didn't send for an ambulance because thankfully turned out to only be costochondritis, but wasn't going to risk it!

Bumbumtaloo Mon 24-Oct-16 19:59:50

beggingbehind not necessarily, I used to work for 111 and other factors are taken into consideration before they send an ambulance for chest pain.

Please do phone 111 and they will be able to assess if you DO need an ambulance.

SelfLoadingFreight Mon 24-Oct-16 20:00:01

Call 111. I had chest pains, ignored it for 2 days then it got worse & I had to call 111. It was a heart attack / blood clot.
Call them now.

Blissfulignorance Mon 24-Oct-16 20:00:09

Does it get worse when you breath in? I work in cardiology btw. Is it radiating anywhere? What does the pain feel like? Heavy, tight, sharp?

I'd strongly advise you see a gp, mostly so a quick ecg can rule out any heart abnormalities or have a quick listen to the old chest. I know it's hard when you have DC around but that's one organ you cannot afford to ignore.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 24-Oct-16 20:01:55

I know someone who recently had to be persuaded to go to the doctor about chest pains he'd been having for a week.

Turned out to be a week long heart attack.

beggingbehind Mon 24-Oct-16 20:04:08

Will try gaviscon (if I have some) will leave it another 30 mins

Blissfulignorance Mon 24-Oct-16 20:05:05

I'd really like to stress my urge to speak to a gp or call 111. Or answer my questions previous.

WannaBe Mon 24-Oct-16 20:05:21

If you go to a&E or even ring an ambulance they will do ECG and be able to give you some answers.

I am recently out of hospital where inability to breathe saw me spend three days on life support with the now future prospect of heart surgery. The number of people in there recovering from surgery after heart attacks they'd ignored was unbelievable.

beggingbehind Mon 24-Oct-16 20:12:39

Doesn't get worse when I breath in, doesn't radiate anywhere sort of a dull pain. It's gone now comes and goes every 10 mins or so.

MOIST Mon 24-Oct-16 20:15:02

Chances are it's nothing.

Or you could be having a heart attack and you could die.

Or anything in between.

Get checked.

cosytoaster Mon 24-Oct-16 20:15:20

I have known two women who ignored chest pains because they thought it''d probably be something else/didn't want to make a fuss, both died of what were in fact heart attacks....please seek help, I'm sure no one will mind if it turns out to be nothing.

Blissfulignorance Mon 24-Oct-16 20:16:56

I'm sorry to be blunt, but in my job I perform cpr more than I care for on people who ignore chest pain. The statistics for resuscitation in a hospital environment are 12% and out of hospital are 3%.

If you don't at least call 111 for a proper assessment then I think you're an idiot.

Chest pain does not always have to be severe to be something serious. If you do t already have a cardiac history and this is new you should get it checked.

Sorry if this offends you but I'm quite passionate about my job and preventing unnecessary illnesses and or death.

bedouincheek Mon 24-Oct-16 20:17:57

DH woke with a sneeze in the middle of the night, and ended up with spasming chest pains. We called an ambulance- he was also cold and sweating like he had run a marathon, and felt like throwing up.
Ambulance team came- gave him an ECG at home and ruled out any heart issue. We were both really apologetic, but they were so reassuring, saying it was the right thing to do in the circumstances. Def call 111 and get them to send an ambulance if they think it is necessary. I hope you are ok.

Ps: Turned out DH had a lung infection and antibiotics cleared it. But no sign of that before the incident. The sweating and nausea were prob a mix of having the infection and panic.

yellowfrog Mon 24-Oct-16 20:24:38

Get thee to A&E for goodness sakes! What's the worst that could happen if you go - you get bored in A&E for a few hours. Worst case if you stay home - you could die!

PlayOnWurtz Mon 24-Oct-16 20:28:22

Depends on where in the chest it is and what kind of pain it is.

If you get indigestion and heartburn and this feels the same it's an overreaction to go to hospital. If it's constricting, feels like a belt round you and you can't catch your breath 999

anotherBadAvatar Mon 24-Oct-16 20:48:42

You've started a thread on this so it's obviously worrying you. Even if you were a doctor yourself and could confidently say this was not cardiac chest pain, you would know that doctors are not meant to diagnose themselves.

Get proper help, not the opinion of a bunch of non-medically qualified people on the Internet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now