Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if anyone here is a goth?

(37 Posts)
malificent7 Mon 24-Oct-16 18:12:46

I'm not a goth but i saw the most stunning goth girl in town at the weekend.. raven black hair, pale face, beautiful black victorian coat, great boots and silver jewellery including a septum piercing.

It does help that she was stunning and not everyone can pull off the look ( definately not me. )

It just got me curious about Goth culture. I was wondering if any gotjs could talk to me about their style and culture and why they are goths. Just curious.

malificent7 Mon 24-Oct-16 18:13:19

Aaaaggggr... typos! Anybody!

Nataleejah Mon 24-Oct-16 18:28:06

I was quite a goth in my teen years, now have a few dress up outfits for special events, but for everyday life i can't be arsed to keep up the image.

AidingAndAbetting Mon 24-Oct-16 18:32:52

I was a goth in my teens/very early twenties.

To casual observers I am now a Boden clad mum. But underneath my sensible tea dresses lurks the heart of an eternal goth. Even if the only outlet I get is playing Sisters of Mercy on my way to work. grin

CrazyGreyhoundLady Mon 24-Oct-16 18:55:39

I'm a mid 20s new mum and a goth (sounds like the introduction for a support group xD).

Seems weird to think of myself as one because I have been for so long so I don't notice! But it's the clothes/makeup I'm comfortable and confident in and the music I enjoy listening to. What sort of things did you want to know? Obviously I can't answer for anyone apart from me but I can give my view

EatsShitAndLeaves Mon 24-Oct-16 19:04:08

Used to be....

It can be a great look in your teens and twenties but I think it's very hard to pull off "full on goth" as you get older without looking a bit sad and try-hard.

Mamabear14 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:09:17

I was a goth, long black hair, bright red lips, all black clothes etc. Now I swerve more to the girlie stuff (I even own pink!) but I have several 'gothy' tattoos and still love my red lippy, though I have red hair now. I'll always be a goth girl underneath

UpsyDaisy214 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:46:26

Also a goth in my teenage years . Early twenties now and usually dress rockabilly / 50s style , lots of tea dresses ,cardies and pedal pushers but have several 'goth' outfits and goth makeup for special occasions . I have removed all but one of my piercings now though and have stripped the black dye from my hair to revert back to being ginger .

icanteven Mon 24-Oct-16 19:54:39

Full-on goth for about 8 years in my late teens and early 20's.

For me, it was a great way of taking charge of my social isolation. I didn't fit in very well at school, and being a goth helped me to "own" it and find a conformity on my own terms and in my own time.

In a way, the conformity of goth is much easier and clearer than mainstream teen culture. Sometimes you look at a fashionable 16 year old and you can see how at that age you could do exactly the same thing, and still somehow fuck up. It's all quite subtle! But being a goth is relatively cut and dried. You pick a look - pvc, rubber (£££££ and not very practical for outdoors wear!), futuristic, Victorian, vampire etc. and perfect your eyeliner skills. Hair can be costly if you don't have nice long natural hair yourself, and of course the clothes aren't cheap, but neither are mainstream teen clothes, and at least you're not going to be bugging your parents for a Michael Kors bag for Christmas!!

CockacidalManiac Mon 24-Oct-16 19:55:55

We had a proper goth night on here a few months ago.

SapphireSeptember Mon 24-Oct-16 19:56:20

Goth here, though I've never had black hair, (I love my natural brunette hair.)
I do wear non Goth things, but love mixing different styles together and I think I pull it off reasonably well.
But I love my combat boots, spiky dog collars, long swishy skirts and stripy socks and t-shirts (especially at the same time) and love unusual coloured lipsticks, (NYX wicked lippies anyone?) I love the bright colours of cyber Goth if not the style so I do sometimes wear a lot of bright colours, but do so with a base of black, ie I wear an all black outfit and my makeup is neon colours. I love being a Goth even if I am 28. grin

user1471462290 Mon 24-Oct-16 19:56:58

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Have been for 22 years (yes I'm old)
Can't wait to wear my fab coats when it's colder smile

CockacidalManiac Mon 24-Oct-16 19:59:30

This was it:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2615519-To-have-a-little-Goth-night-in-on-my-own?pg=1&order=

Sweetdreamsaremadeofthis Mon 24-Oct-16 20:00:26

Love the goth and the 50s pinup rockabilly style i just couldnt pull it off

GinAndShoes Mon 24-Oct-16 20:00:45

I was a goth/emo in my teen years.
I hve grown up somewhat since having satan's offspring my lovely brood and I am now a Boden wearing grown up. shock

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 24-Oct-16 20:02:46

I was 'full goth' in my teens and twenties. But i didn't feel it was compatible with parenting. I don't want my DD to be brought up in a 'spooky household' or to be perceived as having a 'weird' family.

So it's been scaled back. I'm still described as looking gothy but I wouldn't consider myself as such these days.

I still go to gigs, nights out etc and get dressed up... but for everyday we are a fairly standard household.

Everyone does remark that we have excellent halloween decor and I laugh in my head that these were our everyday decor pre-dd!

Whisky2014 Mon 24-Oct-16 20:03:40

I used to be. Maybe 18-24 ibe just turned 30 and all the goth pics were passed round the party. God i looked cool. Not really feasible to continue the look when you start working and want to be taken seriously but man i looked cool!!

SaucyJack Mon 24-Oct-16 20:27:50

I was a Goth/nu-me taller in my teens.

I still like the look now, but I'm too old, fat and lacking in a social life to bother getting dressed up.

SaucyJack Mon 24-Oct-16 20:28:28

*metaller.

I've never been taller in the slightest.

MrsMonkeyBear Mon 24-Oct-16 20:33:10

I dabbled in goth when I was in my teens early 20s. I loved my New Rock boots and my trench coat but it didn't really stick. I preferred my punk outfits, had a foot high mohawk in every colour imaginable. I still have the odd goth dress in my wardrobe and also refuse to throw out my tartan trousers but majority of my clothes come from H&M and Primark (jeans, vests, hoodies)

MissPatty Mon 24-Oct-16 20:37:18

I'm "Goth-lite" now I have children.
Wardrobe is still mostly black, but my day-to-day uniform is now a metal band tshirt and black jeans rather than anything elaborate!

DramaAlpaca Mon 24-Oct-16 20:37:18

I was a goth back in the early 1980s. I'm far too old now to carry it off any more sad

<waves at CockacidalManiac, we were both on that thread you linked to>

Daydream007 Mon 24-Oct-16 20:39:55

I was never a goth but I always admired them and their individuality. Something very dark and sexy about them.

OdinsLoveChild Mon 24-Oct-16 20:40:28

I used to be goth until my oldest dd nicked half my clothes. I have now resorted to the odd steampunk outfit on a night out and a lovely boden/jules collection that looks too frumpy for the DDs now.

I can't carry off black hair anymore so I'm a brunette with grey streaks instead.

JellyBelli Mon 24-Oct-16 20:43:31

Entire DF is Goth apart from DS who is into Black Metal. We all love music, tattoos, piercings, and our house and clothes are black and purple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now