Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit upset that I only got a text on my birthday from my Friend

(5 Posts)
happyvalley4 Mon 24-Oct-16 14:13:33

My friend and I have been BFFs since we were 10 years old. Friend has MH issues and a drinking problem so she's not the easiest to get along with sometimes. But when she's on top form she's really good company.

These last couple of years she's had a new boyfriend and has moved in with him and is now a 2 hour drive away.

We've also drifted apart a bit cos I have a DD and she doesn't have or want kids.

We definitely don't see each other as much as we used to (every 2 or 3 weeks). This year I've only seen her twice due to her health and my family commitments and the distance.

We always used to make an effort to see each other for birthdays and always bought each other a present.

This year she was busy so we didn't get together for my birthday. I didn't necessarily expect her to post me a present but I would've expected a card.

Every time I look at the cards on my mantel I am reminded that there isn't one from her. And I'm really hurt about it. It just means I don't mean as much to her as she does me.

AIBU?

ThePinkOcelot Mon 24-Oct-16 14:16:47

She did text you though, so didn't totally forget your birthday. Just hang on to that.

Gottagetmoving Mon 24-Oct-16 14:19:19

It means she has moved on and may be busy. People grow up and change. They forget birthdays and are caught up in things around them.
I sometimes send birthday cards to some people I haven't seen in over ten years but I have forgotten some years depending what's going on in my life. Sometimes they send me one and sometimes they dont
Your lives seem to be going in different directions. Continue sending her a card if you want her to know you are thinking of her or just let it go and move on.

cardibach Mon 24-Oct-16 14:19:42

Does she know you place importance on cards? Not everyone does (I don't, for sample - don't much like them up and wouldn't notice if I didn't get one from someone) so it might affect their sending one or not. If she knows they are important to you it's a bit shit though.

ladylanky Mon 24-Oct-16 14:22:57

I don't really do cards, I'm rubbish at remembering to post them (I often wander about with them in my bag for weeks) and I don't really see the point. Doesn't mean I don't care about my friends tho.
If it helps at all it was my birthday last week and I've still not heard from my dad......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now