...to take my 9mo to a museum??

(25 Posts)
TheLegendOfBeans Mon 24-Oct-16 12:53:52

I'm bored out my skull and as its half term all the "kids" places (like soft play) will be RAMMED.

One of the major London museums is 20 min away by train for me - plus it's a Monday, my LO is quite good in her pram plus there's a play park nearby so I was thinking of taking her to the swings first.

Good idea/bad idea?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 24-Oct-16 12:55:16

Do it! Tate Britain and National Portrait Gallery both have great cafes and changing facilities. If you have a sling take that too just in case.

Can you time it around nap time? I think you should go but be prepared you may have to leave if your LO kicks off

cardibach Mon 24-Oct-16 12:55:37

Can't see any problem,s with this idea at all. Go and have fun!

Heirhelp Mon 24-Oct-16 12:55:49

A good idea but the museum might also be busier as it is half term.

SaucyJack Mon 24-Oct-16 12:56:26

Why would it be a bad idea?

You can take children out in public y'know.

lisaneedsarest Mon 24-Oct-16 12:57:12

Nothing wrong with that, but be prepared for the museums to be packed - I'd avoid the natural history/science museums and stick to more grown up ones!

TheLegendOfBeans Mon 24-Oct-16 13:00:21

I'm thinking of "treating" her to the IWM; my chief concern is that if she kicks off...but as a PP said if she does, then I'll just do what I'd normally do and exit stage left smile

I think I was asking as I've neve really seen babies in museums before and didn't want to create a social faux-pas unawares - ps TOTALLY taking the baby Bjorn with me as well!

Jellymuffin Mon 24-Oct-16 13:01:28

Shocked you've never taken your child to a museum before! A 9mo will get SO much more out of looking at the colours in the paintings and all the lovely interactive objects they have now than soft play! Such a great opportunity to work on language too!

Jellymuffin Mon 24-Oct-16 13:02:58

Went to the national gallery on Saturday by the way and it was reasonably quiet even for half term. Great scale of paintings too, babies love big things!

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Mon 24-Oct-16 13:03:01

Having a pram is going to make it twice as difficult to negotiate a packed museum, & I'd have thought all the major ones (not to mention the public transport to them) would be heaving over half term.

Can you take her in a stroller or sling instead?

AmeliaJack Mon 24-Oct-16 13:03:22

We took our twins to museums and art galleries before they were a year old. No one ever battered an eyelid.

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Mon 24-Oct-16 13:05:25

When you have a second baby they get dragged everywhere that entertains the older one.

Do it! It'll be lovely, you can hit the cafe for cake. Enjoy!

WatchingFromTheWings Mon 24-Oct-16 13:08:07

Took my youngest to the Natural History Museum at 7mo. He loved it! Took him back at 4 years old...he still loved it! We went in half term and it was busy though. Got there early so were in 5 minutes after it opened. By the time we left just after lunch it was heaving!

knaffedoff Mon 24-Oct-16 13:17:27

Do it, your child may be less flexible in 12 / 18m time.

Enjoy :-)

nennyrainbow Mon 24-Oct-16 13:26:26

Why not? I think the joy of having a baby without older siblings is that you can do whatever YOU want. Within reason of course - not an adult's only cinema, theatre etc where everyone is expected to be quiet. Enjoy it now - in a few years time, you'll be at the child- orientated attractions along with everyone else!

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 24-Oct-16 13:28:33

I was in Tate Modern at the weekend. Kids and small babies everywhere.

HerestoyouMrsRobinson Mon 24-Oct-16 13:30:34

Felt like mother of the year when I went to a gallery in town with 2 small kids, arrived as they opened at 10am. Unfortunately bumped into a friend as we got out of the car, she was on her bike with one kid in front and one behind. Both were eating home made bread rolls...

Rinceoir Mon 24-Oct-16 13:31:38

I went to loads of museums with DD when I was on Mat leave. Many of them allow you to check buggy into cloakroom if needed.

dailymaillazyjournos Mon 24-Oct-16 13:35:04

YY definitely. This week though be prepare for hordes of kids around the most popular.

DD has taken DGD to science, V&A and Natural History Museums since she was a few months old. Up to about 7 months she was fast asleep but from about 10 months the science museum has been the one that DD has enjoyed taking her to the most as there's a very hands on section for young childen. Lots of springy things to twang and things they can press and do. It's one of DD's rainy day/if I don't do anything I'm going to scream day, activities. There are areas you can feed littlies and a nice cafe if they are in a benign enough mood for you to sit down with a drink and a bun.

gabsdot Mon 24-Oct-16 13:51:07

Why not.
I remember bringing ds to the art gallery when he was pretty young. They did a tour for parents and babies and there was another mother there pushing a toddler in a pram and she had a tiny baby in a sling. At one stage she breastfeed the baby, while pushing the pram and listening to the tour. Talk about multitasking.

ThatGingerOne Mon 24-Oct-16 14:04:02

A lot of museums also have ''hands on'' areas for kids now too. Its a great place to take her, just make sure she doesn't grab anything, its not a library, you can make a bit of noise. Hope you enjoy the day! smile

Artandco Mon 24-Oct-16 14:12:49

Of course. However they will also be full as it's half term, especially now it's cold.

TBH if it's just you and 9 month old I would avoid them this week as busy, and then go next week when schools backs nd you can walk around at own pace.

ninenicknames Mon 24-Oct-16 14:15:46

I spent my Mat Leave in museums

Nicpem1982 Mon 24-Oct-16 15:18:50

Do it we've been taking our dd to museums and art galleries since very young, enjoy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now