Talk

Advanced search

Clingy pets

(43 Posts)
Myusernameismyusername Sun 23-Oct-16 22:26:46

Does anyone have this problem? I have a 3yo female cat
It wants to be with me every waking and asleep moment. If I am asleep it will do everything humanely (or feline) possibly to be near me, touch me and make me touch it.
Which is sweet but this also involves shower/bath/toilet and it will not be shut out of a room, it becomes anxious and scratches and howls.
I love her but her need for contact is driving me insane. It's just me, not the kids she does it to. And I have another cat and she is just jealous of that one.

I'm living a real life crazy cat lady life here confused

AliceInUnderpants Sun 23-Oct-16 22:30:15

What's her background?

My 11 month old puppy is very clingy, and follows me around. Even if I stand up to pull out a wedgie, she's up too haha. She's a rescue pup though, so expected.

Myusernameismyusername Sun 23-Oct-16 22:32:42

Got her as a kitten at 9 weeks. Doesn't like going outside unless it involves trying to kill herself jumping out of upstairs windows!

Homebird90 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:38:45

Do you think she's anxious? Have you tried Feliway?

Myusernameismyusername Sun 23-Oct-16 22:40:58

I've tried all of that
I think she's just demanding but I end up not wanting to give any affection because she has no stop button. If I give a little it makes it ramp up even more and there is no end to it!

Myusernameismyusername Sun 23-Oct-16 22:42:00

Ive actually thought about rehoming her because it is that annoying blushconfused

Homebird90 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:42:07

9 weeks is a little early to leave her mother, maybe that explains her attachment

FrancisCrawford Sun 23-Oct-16 22:42:38

My third cat was like that. I got him aged 7 when his previous owner died.
He loved to sit on the arm of my chair and slowly move so that his front legs would encircle my arm. He'd then drool with pleasure, so I ended up quite damp! He didn't like to be more than about 18 inches away from me.

He was sweet.

Myusernameismyusername Sun 23-Oct-16 22:47:15

Its sweet apart from the lack of sleep!

SabineUndine Sun 23-Oct-16 22:50:01

My cat has been like that since his brother died, 3 years ago. Haven't got any solutions other than shutting the cat in another room to get a bit of peace!

ClaudiaWankleman Sun 23-Oct-16 22:53:08

Please don't rehome - I imagine that this level of attachment would be devastating for the cat if you were separated!

I don't have any advice but can definitely appreciate your feelings.

Myusernameismyusername Sun 23-Oct-16 22:57:24

I just feel like I am always pushing her away and it's mean. When she starts if I am asleep (scratching the door) I have to let her in then she just spends all night walking around me trying to wake me up!

hollinhurst84 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:58:04

Same here
This is mine gazing adoringly at me confused

AldrinJustice Sun 23-Oct-16 23:07:47

Love it! My kitty used to be like this, but moreso when I moved out of my parents, any big changes spurs it on, or habits that have formed in the beginning few months. Has she been neutered? I've seen cats change behaviour after neutering but they become very independent and not more clingy :/ could try weaning her off you by always having a soft toy when she cuddles you, then get her to lean up against the toy, slowly she may make the transition between you and the toy and hopefully just cling to the toy for comfort! And Before anyone flames me, that's assuming she is not/has not suffered from any trauma and is just a lovely cat

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sun 23-Oct-16 23:13:44

Does she play with toys? Can you get her stoned on catnip? (only half joking on that one.....). Giving her something else to do would help. Tire her out with exercise - that helps with my needy indoor cat.

Myusernameismyusername Mon 24-Oct-16 04:58:19

No trauma. She just woke me up and I can't get back to sleep. I think boredom sometimes but she is quite OTT anyway and neutering hasn't helped. I gave her some affection now hoping she would lie back down but instead she ran as fast as she could up and down the stairs, leaping over my bed each time and skidding across the wooden flooring envy

Myusernameismyusername Mon 24-Oct-16 04:59:03

She would beat a teddy up and be violent to it!
She can be a bit violent when she gets really really over excited

steff13 Mon 24-Oct-16 05:19:23

Maybe a second cat would help, give her someone to play with.

Clandestino Mon 24-Oct-16 05:59:10

Is she an indoor cat? Then it could be boredom. Do you have a cat tree? Even a laser pen could keep her occupied.

Broken1Girl Mon 24-Oct-16 06:22:10

Aw the poor thing sounds bored. Yes cats need toys to beat up, they're animals, they need to chase and kill prey.

CaoNiMao Mon 24-Oct-16 06:38:10

I have this with my two ginger rescue boys - one more than the other. I found them both as abandoned kittens on the street when I was living overseas - just relocated back to the UK with them.

The older one (6) has always been exceptionally clingy. He follows me everywhere, even to the toilet. The younger one (2) likes to be around me, and sleeps on me if he possibly can!

I presume their clinginess is down to having been abandoned by their mothers at an extremely early age.

Imissmy0ldusername Mon 24-Oct-16 06:56:02

One of ours needs to be exercised if the mornings are light and we want to sleep past 5am. The night before, we try to wear her out by throwing things for her to chase (scrunched up paper is her favourite). If she's not had a good chase about, she can be really quite hard work. It's sweet, but as you describe OP, quite intense! Has your cat got places up high she can go? Ours has a few favourite spots where she can keep an eye on what's going on. We find that if she's getting a bit to over the top, we can plonk her on one of her high spots, and she settles.

Lillagroda Mon 24-Oct-16 07:06:00

This. Right now.

Separated from mum too young, in her case.

Myusernameismyusername Mon 24-Oct-16 07:31:59

I have a tree and she's not interested. I have another cat too. It sadly her annoying behaviour has annoyed the other cat and they don't get along.
I'm happy for her to go out and once every now and then she trots off outside but usually she runs back in the house if I try to get her outside

Myusernameismyusername Mon 24-Oct-16 07:34:03

My kids play with her a lot. She's got too much energy to be indoors all the time I think I am going to try encourage some more going outside!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now