Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone's DH/DP has had a successful vasectomy reversal?

(14 Posts)
HolyCrow Sun 23-Oct-16 20:33:51

Curious. I would love another baby but DH had a vasectomy before I met him.

mrsmiggins6 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:37:34

YES!!! Had 2 DCs then DH had vasectomy. 7 years later had reversal. Now have 4 DCs. How long ago did he have the vasectomy? that makes a lot of difference to the success rate.

HolyCrow Sun 23-Oct-16 20:45:25

It was about 12 years ago 😕

I am finding myself obsessed with babies at the moment. Maybe it's because my 'baby' is now 8!

ListenUpTurnip Sun 23-Oct-16 20:50:13

We are going through this at the minute. Dh was 'done' 11/12 years ago. Had it reversed this summer and has just had his analysis back with good results... now it's just actually trying to conceive.

Firsttimer82 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:51:37

My husband had his reversed in March 14. He had the op done 15 years ago, the surgeon that did his reversal said it was a tough reversal due to scar tissue. 6 months later he only had 9,000,000per ml but the ones that were there were pretty good. DS will be one next month!

Ketsby Sun 23-Oct-16 20:58:57

I'm curious as to how someone makes such a final decision like a vasectomy.. then changes their mind O_o;;

Hedgehog80 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:06:01

There can be many many reasons why people change their minds. New partner, change in circumstances, not having been 100% sure in the first place, etc etc

At least with vasectomy reversals the chances of it working seem quite high vs if a woman has been sterilised and regrets it (the position we are in)

It's good to hear of the success stories here and I wish you all the luck OP

Firsttimer82 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:14:03

Dh felt pressured into it by his first wife. She already had 3 kids and they had one together. So being the lovely guy he is he did it. Then when we fell involve we desperately wanted and baby together.

imsorryiasked Sun 23-Oct-16 21:19:08

Yes! (We were told that you shouldn't have the reversal until you're ready to ttc as there is a chance it can "heal")
Good luck!

KatieC0811 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:26:05

My DF had a reversal after about 5-6 years, concieved my DSis relatively quickly, then had it done again when she was about 3!

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Sun 23-Oct-16 21:31:58

It's lovely to hear such positive stories, but of the 3 couples I know who've gone for this all have failed and they had to go for ICSI. Obviously I hope things go well for you, but make sure you have a back up plan.

Babyroobs Sun 23-Oct-16 22:12:09

I have a colleaugue whose dh had it reversed and they got pregnant very quickly.

bananafish81 Sun 23-Oct-16 23:04:02

Worth noting that anti sperm antibodies are often associated with VR - in which case ICSI will likely be needed. Surgical sperm retrieval is an option instead of / if the VR fails

HolyCrow Mon 24-Oct-16 12:20:39

Thank you for all your replies. I didn't realise there were so many people in our situation.

DH was with his ex at the time, and I was with mine. I had a horrible previous relationship and didn't want anymore children at that time. Now I'm with DH I want another baby more than anything!

It's good to hear about some positive outcomes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now