Talk

Advanced search

To apply for a job that could make childcare difficult

(15 Posts)
Coulddowithanap Sun 23-Oct-16 19:09:12

I've seen a job that I would love to do but it is shift work. My husband also works shifts.

Would it be crazy to apply knowing it will make childcare difficult? (we have two children in primary school).

Is it better to contact the company to register my interest and discuss shift patterns to find out if they fit round my husband's shifts before applying?

I'm sure other couples work full-time and manage to arrange childcare. (I currently have a 2 day a week job during school hours so childcare isn't a problem at the moment)

I have wanted to do this job for as long as I can remember but jobs very rarely come up. Last time they had this job come up it was 6 years ago and I was pregnant so couldn't apply (it's a physical job). If I don't apply now they may not have have this job come up again for ages and by then I will be getting to old to change careers.

I may not even get it so could be worrying for nothing!

nephrofox Sun 23-Oct-16 19:12:00

Go for it! If you're interviewed then you can ask about shift patterns then, but I wouldn't mention anything about childcare being an issue until they actually offer you the job. If it's a close run thing then knowledge like that could put them off you. Once they offer you the job you can talk about how best to manage the shifts.

hotdiggedy Sun 23-Oct-16 19:54:13

Difficult or impossible? I applied for a job that took me an hour to travel back and forwards to, a bus and a lot of walking. It meant 7am childminder drop offs and 6pm collections. Then the childminder moved and they hated after school club. I survived it a year then got a job closer to home!

Coulddowithanap Sun 23-Oct-16 20:09:43

Not sure if it would be impossible, but that would depend on if we were both on a night shift. I have a big family who are happy to do school pick ups and look after the children for us but I couldn't expect them to be there for night shifts. But then the job may not require me for night shifts.

I think I will apply. I can always turn it down if it won't be practical.

SirChenjin Sun 23-Oct-16 20:13:30

I would go for it and ask about shift patterns in the interview - but don't mention childcare as that really isn't their isue or concern. Also - bear in mind that you need to be very flexible in the early days of a new job, so you may need to factor that in.

whatsagoodusername Sun 23-Oct-16 20:18:28

If there's a good chance you'll both have night shifts, is there any chance you would have space for a live-in nanny or au pair?

SisterViktorine Sun 23-Oct-16 20:19:34

I would tread with care as childcare difficulties are incredibly stressful. Constantly having it on your mind that you have to hunt for someone to have DC could easily take the joy out of a new job.

VladmirsPoutine Sun 23-Oct-16 20:32:19

Apply anyway and then talk logistics when it materialises. Could your partner alter his shifts?
I don't see any harm in anonymously contacting the company to find out a bit more about the position / shift pattern but don't mark your card before you've even got your foot in the door.

ConvincingLiar Sun 23-Oct-16 20:37:54

Why not ring anonymously to ask for an indication of shift pattern. Apply if viable. No point wasting your time and theirs if it's completely impossible.

JoJoSM2 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:46:58

I think you need to try and see if you can secure the position. You'll have more money so that will make a difference with childcare. Also, does your husband love his job? Might he consider changing his job to something that would work better with your hours?

Rach168 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:51:13

Has your husband looked into changing his shifts to fit in with your (potential) job? If he's been in his job for more than 26 weeks, he's entitled to make a request for flexible working:

www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1616

Oly5 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:51:53

Could you afford an au pair? I have one who is really flexible. I pay her well to make up for it.
I'd apply and see how it goes.
You can always quit if it's impossible!
But yes, don't mention childcare issues to potential employers. They don't want problems

Munstermonchgirl Sun 23-Oct-16 21:09:05

I second the au pair idea. Or if you really don't have space, look at whether you can use a nanny share. TBH if you're moving from just 2 days a week school hours to a full time job, you need to be prepared to pay good money for childcare- and you should be taking quite a hike up in wages to enable you to do this I would imagine.

Play the long game... if this is the job you've dreamed of doing, you'll be prepared to pull out all the stops to make this work. You say the last time this post came available was 6 years ago- so it's clearly something where you need to grasp the opportunity.

Coulddowithanap Sun 23-Oct-16 22:24:30

Thank you everyone, I've got more to think about.

My husband loves his job so wouldn't want that to change. I don't think flexible working is something he could do as he works with the same team of people all the time.

I will look into pay etc. Don't think we could afford a nanny and don't have spare room for an au pair.

Rattusn Sun 23-Oct-16 23:18:30

Could you either extend, or have your children share, to make room for an au pair? That's the only way I manage to work shifts/long hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now